Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 09:21 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

I still believe Obesity is the biggest indicator (and all of the things that go with it like diabetes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 09:30 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
The jabbed are barely in hospitals. Nice try
Nor are those with previously significant documented infections.

https://medicine.missouri.edu/news/s...severe-illness

Old 08-23-2021, 09:31 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I still believe Obesity is the biggest indicator (and all of the things that go with it like diabetes.)
Age, and now possibly vaccination status.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/invest...adans-2425443/

Old 08-23-2021, 09:33 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
Someone has to keep pushing the FUD, I guess.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:36 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
And this is my problem how?

Old 08-23-2021, 09:36 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Propaganda. The people who die from this are elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions. The vaccinated are spreading the virus around with higher viral loads to these groups.
Where’s your source on this? From everything I’ve read, those vaccinated individuals who have breakthrough cases of the Delta strain have the same viral load as those who are not vaccinated. The difference is that the non-vaccinated are FAR more likely to contract Delta and be able to spread it to far more people compared to those who have been vaccinated.

If anything, the Delta variant makes it that much more urgent that people mask up in public.

Here are a few resources that contradict your claim that vaccinated individuals with breakthrough cases of Delta have higher viral loads:

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/ne...ed-individuals

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/c...-19-to-others/

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-mask-guidance

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-v...-unvaccinated/

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavir...a-variant.html

Old 08-23-2021, 09:46 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Even using the figures the article presents it would still be the elderly, who make up a small overall portion of the Nevada population, that account for the majority of hospitalizations and deaths.

I’m assuming the statistics for the under 25 age group are negligible? It’s hard to tell because the article jumps straight to racial/ethnic data and personal anecdotal stories intended to scare its readers. It never mentions what percentage of deaths are people 65 and older or those under 25. I’m assuming 65 or older is close to 50-55%? Who knows, I guess we just have to guess.

The most important missing information is what percentage of the total population each age group makes up. Without this, even the scant figures they give are meaningless. Nevada is not a retirement hotspot, so it looks like roughly 11% of people in Nevada are 65 or older and they make up roughly half of all COVID deaths. I’d say that’s some relevant data that was conveniently omitted.

The article fails to mention obesity as a factor. Almost all of those who’ve had issues with COVID that are under the age of 50 seem to be obese. I guess we’ll just ignore that. Keep in mind these numbers are just for Nevada.

I’m not saying vaccination is not important, but this article is garbage and does not present any meaningful data that would make the case for vaccination. It bounces from age group data to vaccination data, throws in some race/ethnicity vaccination rates, and then several anecdotal stories just for giggles.

Last edited by TXRunner; 08-23-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 09:49 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
Not good news for anti-vaxxers WITHOUT immunity. Those people are in the exact same situation as the jabbed.
There is no guarantee of immunity even if you had covid. People are having it twice.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
And this is my problem how?
It's everyone's problem when they have to go to the hospital for a non-covid emergency and it's filled with unvaccinated patients

Old 08-23-2021, 09:53 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
The jabbed are barely in hospitals. Nice try
The jabbed-unjabbed in hospitals ratio in several countries, including the US, is 10%-90% to 15%-85%.

Still way better odds for the jabbed, but not sure "barely" is a helpful label.

Many jabbed people get infected and spread, fewer get severe symptoms and go to hospital, fewer yet die.

CDC changed guidance back in May way too early.

The biggest factor for severe symptoms, hospitalization and death is whether the infected person's immune system has the necessary tools.

Elderly, obese, diabetic people have fewer of those tools, but it could happen to anybody.

The jabs give the body some extra helpful tools, but not always enough in too many cases.

CDC changed guidance back in May way too early.

I would encourage people to maintain social distancing to the extent possible, and to continue to wear high quality masks when social distancing is not possible, especially indoors. That's what I do anyway, even since May because CDC is full of political talking heads.

Lock-downs are not necessary.

Hope this helps, a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies