Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 01:45 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
As a country without an official language, I don't believe it to be nonsense.
Not having an "Official" language does not change that English is the language of our nation.

When you become a citizen and become eligible to vote you learn English as part of that.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-...naturalization

To apply for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen, you must:

Be at least 18 years of age at the time you file the application;
Have been a lawful permanent resident for the past three or five years (depending on which naturalization category you are applying under);
Have continuous residence and physical presence in the United States;
Be able to read, write, and speak basic English;
Demonstrate good moral character;
Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
Demonstrate a loyalty to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and
Be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance

Old 08-23-2021, 01:46 PM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
English only ballots, since trump and Biden only spoke English. How could these non English speakers be informed voters if they didn't understand what either candidate was saying in the debates, on the campaign trail rallies, or in their campaign ads?
The same way I could watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I mean I don't speak Mandarin but somehow it was made accessible to me using some kind of wizardry.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
There'll certainly be government materials in Welsh in Wales, and Scottish Gaelic in Scotland, I haven't lived there for some time so not sure about other languages. Polish would be the most common immigrant language, used by about 1% of the population.
My parents are from Scotland. Are you sure Scotland prints materials in Gaelic? The language is now spoken only in more remote parts of Scotland. I don't know, because my parents haven't lived there in 55 years.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not having an "Official" language does not change that English is the language of our nation.

When you become a citizen and become eligible to vote you learn English as part of that.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-...naturalization

To apply for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen, you must:

Be at least 18 years of age at the time you file the application;
Have been a lawful permanent resident for the past three or five years (depending on which naturalization category you are applying under);
Have continuous residence and physical presence in the United States;
Be able to read, write, and speak basic English;
Demonstrate good moral character;
Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
Demonstrate a loyalty to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and
Be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance
As I said earlier, having gone through the naturalization process, you don't learn English. You lean a few phrases that are in a pamphlet you're given weeks before the test. The intricacies of a political machinations are somewhat more challenging in a second language.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
My parents are from Scotland. Are you sure Scotland prints materials in Gaelic? I don't know, because my parents haven't lived there in 55 years.
It's a fairly recent development. The language is gaining prominence.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/sc...-2021/pages/5/

Check out section 2 -
Quote:
Gaelic translations of Scottish Government printed materials are available on request.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States. As such people born in Puerto Rico are under US jurisdiction and are therefore by the 14th Amendment to the Constitution natural born citizens of the United States. Is it so unimaginable that there might be some US citizens in Puerto Rico who don't speak English?
And for assorted economic and family reasons, there are many Puerto Ricans who leave the islands for the US mainland. Florida and New York have particularly large Puerto Rican communities that way.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:58 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
As a country without an official language, I don't believe it to be nonsense.
The state of Iowa (along with the majority of states) recognizes English as their official language.

https://iowaculture.gov/history/educ...-reaffirmation

Quote:
Courtesy of Iowa Legislature, "Iowa English Language Reaffirmation," Iowa Code, 2002
Description
Former Governor Tom Vilsack signed into law the Iowa English Language Reaffirmation Act in 2002. The law reaffirms English as the official language of the state and that all official documents should be in English.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:59 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
As I said earlier, having gone through the naturalization process, you don't learn English. You lean a few phrases that are in a pamphlet you're given weeks before the test. The intricacies of a political machinations are somewhat more challenging in a second language.
Government source

Old 08-23-2021, 02:02 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But we aren't talking about all of North America. We are talking about the U.S. and Spanish is not our national de facto language, it's English!
Exactly! Canada is part of North America; if Iowa activists wanted to add French voting material I'd be against that too.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:23 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No. English is what is commonly understood to be the official language. It is the de facto official language of the United States.

But other posters are correct when they say that the US has no official language. Which I've never understood. Though, apparently, the UK, NZ, and Australia don't have official languages, either, so we're not alone in this.
No, English IS the official language of America by operation, not declaration. This isn't hard to understand, unless you just don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies