Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 02:45 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,459,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I was typing short responses because I was on my device instead of my laptop. (*Harder to type).

The reason for my interest was mostly trying to understand why (if) anyone would support this law. But when you said city law should not supercede federal law, it suprised me. I think (assume) you are mostly right-leaning. typically people who are on the right support less big government, and more local rule. It just surprised me is all.

My opinion: It probably was not broken, and I honestly don't understand why any group of lawmakers would waste time to make a law prohibiting laws to allow for a water break every four hours. And I'll be the first to admit, both major parties come up with some pretty stupid laws. IMO, this is one of them.

Anyway, your comment just surprised me, based on your posting history and my assumption of where you stand, so I asked for clarification.

I also think that the state law should not supercede federal law. I think it is sad that ANY law is needed to regulate or limit how much water or how many breaks a worker can have in the USA in 2021.
I’m a slightly-right-leaning libertarian. I am all over the place with my beliefs.

I believe there are reasons ranging far past water breaks that have encouraged my state to take this matter up. My best guess is that it’s an attempt to curtail future overreach.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Laughing at the thought of any real libertarian using any form of social media.
I am unaffected by your presence.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:59 PM

11,193 posts, read 8,231,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m a slightly-right-leaning libertarian. I am all over the place with my beliefs.

I believe there are reasons ranging far past water breaks that have encouraged my state to take this matter up. My best guess is that it’s an attempt to curtail future overreach.
Honestly, and respectfully, I could probably have a great discussion/debate over a few beers with you. I'm all over the place too. We'd agree on some, disagree on many items. Appreciate the responses.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:11 PM

18,628 posts, read 7,477,002 times
The usual suspects seem to be trying to pretend that if cities don't pass laws mandating two 10-minute water breaks, nobody will have laws mandating two 10-minute water breaks.

Several posters here have pointed out that every state has such a law in place, and so does the Fed govt. If the cities are forbidden to make such laws, nothing will change. All workers in every city in all states still have mandated 10-minute water breaks.

The usual suspects aren't worried about 10-minute breaks. They're merely trying to lie about whether anyone wants the workers to lose their 10-minute water breaks... even though no one does.

The usual lies from the usual suspects.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Honestly, and respectfully, I could probably have a great discussion/debate over a few beers with you. I'm all over the place too. We'd agree on some, disagree on many items. Appreciate the responses.
I enjoy a respectful exchange of different ideas. I’m all over the place politically, myself. Policy over party.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,470,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
In Texas, specifically Austin and Dallas, requirements have been in place mandating a 10 minute water break every four hours for construction workers. Republican lawmakers are now pushing to eliminate those protections, which would allow construction workers to work in 100+ degree heat without as much as water breaks.

a survey found that many construction workers were not receiving either, even though temperatures in Austin have reached as high as 112 degrees F. The campaign was a success — that year, the city council passed an ordinance mandating that construction workers get a 10-minute water break every four hours. In 2015, Dallas adopted a similar requirement

Republican lawmakers in Texas are pushing a bill that would eliminate these minimal protections that help workers survive on very hot days, which are increasing in number and severity with climate change.

Source Here
In what world a government has a say in this one way or another?

This is a great move.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:23 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,899,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Workers on a highway crews are seldom close to their cars or lunchboxes. Sometimes they are miles away. Where do you suggest the carry this thermos in the 100 degree heat?
Are you suggesting these workers park their cars miles away from their job site and walk several miles to get to it? No, they most likely jump in the company truck and are transported to the job site. No reason why they can't stash the water container in the same truck. i swear, leftists have to be the most helpless, lack of common sense humans I have ever encountered.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:26 PM

40,922 posts, read 48,883,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Are you suggesting these workers park their cars miles away from their job site and walk several miles to get to it? No, they most likely jump in the company truck and are transported to the job site. No reason why they can't stash the water container in the same truck. i swear, leftists have to be the most helpless, lack of common sense humans I have ever encountered.
No common sense and also absolutely no sense of humor either.

All they have is what they've been taught in some book.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:39 PM

35,368 posts, read 20,743,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
In Texas, specifically Austin and Dallas, requirements have been in place mandating a 10 minute water break every four hours for construction workers. Republican lawmakers are now pushing to eliminate those protections, which would allow construction workers to work in 100+ degree heat without as much as water breaks.

a survey found that many construction workers were not receiving either, even though temperatures in Austin have reached as high as 112 degrees F. The campaign was a success — that year, the city council passed an ordinance mandating that construction workers get a 10-minute water break every four hours. In 2015, Dallas adopted a similar requirement

Republican lawmakers in Texas are pushing a bill that would eliminate these minimal protections that help workers survive on very hot days, which are increasing in number and severity with climate change.

Source Here
I swear they trying to cut the population down. The bills proposed are all against people

Old 08-24-2021, 05:12 PM

26,834 posts, read 15,068,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Republicans are funny. They believe in weak centralized government and more local control, unless local government enact laws to protect labor. Funny how that works.
States can make Regulation to exceed the requirement but not to decrease it.

This is a Safety issue and OSHA rules here as a minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies