Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 08:54 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/tech/...ees/index.html

I feel like hotels would be a better choice. Obviously people want to start thinking with their heart. "oh how wonderful this is that they can have their own place".

How many problems could this cause? Airbnb could actually realize they are making a huge mistake depending on how things play out as well. Hosts suddenly realizing they make a mistake in letting refugees stay on their property and some damage it. Neighbors to host become very upset about the situation.

I can just see a family moving into an Airbnb and some racist people down the street get wind of it and take matters into their own hands in making the family deal with a lot of BS.

Hotels IMO would be better. You could find hotels where you can let not just 1 family stay but several families. What's the benefit of this? Having Afghan families stick together near each other would be better for them. Imagine being a family living in some suburb and you know nobody. At least in a hotel atmosphere you'd be around people who speak your language and are used to your culture.

This would also allow charities to donate food, clothes & other useful items to people in masses.

Lastly, might be easier to keep tabs on these refugees as well. Having to check on thousands in thousands of different Airbnb's doesn't exactly sound like an easy task. I'm sure most of these people are good people just trying to stay alive but the minute we stop thinking with our heads is when we will regret a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:58 PM

162 posts, read 107,786 times
Will the eviction moratorium apply?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:01 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/tech/...ees/index.html

I feel like hotels would be a better choice.
A different country, a similar Muslim country like Pakistan where Afghans might fit in, would be a better choice.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
I'll agree that it would be far better to have refugees from a very different culture not left on their own at an AirBNB. Not so much because they need others of their culture, but because they'll need help just figuring out the money, the supermarkets, all those everyday things. On the other hand, do you envision tens of thousands of Americans opening their households to them and acting as hosts and mentors?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:09 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'll agree that it would be far better to have refugees from a very different culture not left on their own at an AirBNB. Not so much because they need others of their culture, but because they'll need help just figuring out the money, the supermarkets, all those everyday things. On the other hand, do you envision tens of thousands of Americans opening their households to them and acting as hosts and mentors?
They'll need to get used to appliances as well. Ovens, garbage disposals etc.. Imagine the potential fires that could happen.

But to answer your question it would not surprise me if thousands do open their doors because right now a lot have been taking a hit financially because of covid-19. In 2020, hosts lost thousands and many probably would be willing to take the risk if it means a few months or longer of income. The fact that delta variant is probably going to continue to slow down normal life for the rest of the year just means hosts are in for another bad quarter.

I also think this applies to other countries that use Airbnb as well.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:05 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
Air BNB doesn't own the homes it offers for rent. It's just a vehicle for individual people to rent their places short term.

So how are they going to provide housing options for refugees? Are they going to pay homeowners so they can offer places for people to live?

Old 08-24-2021, 10:29 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Chesky did not say how long refugees would be housed, or how long the company would fund their stays. The company did not immediately respond to a request from CNN Business for further information.
Apparently, they didn't bother to ask the most obvious question: Where will they stay?

Old 08-24-2021, 10:39 PM

563 posts, read 281,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Apparently, they didn't bother to ask the most obvious question: Where will they stay?
My dad helped administer tent villages for Vietnamese refugees in the mid 70's near Eglin AFB. We stayed near Destin and visited the camp often. I have no reason to believe that Afghan refugees won't as positive an influence on the U.S. as the Vietnamese refugees were.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:41 PM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Air BNB doesn't own the homes it offers for rent. It's just a vehicle for individual people to rent their places short term.

So how are they going to provide housing options for refugees? Are they going to pay homeowners so they can offer places for people to live?
You really expect liberals to work out the details when it comes to empty gesture soundbites and catch phrases?

Old 08-25-2021, 07:47 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
My dad helped administer tent villages for Vietnamese refugees in the mid 70's near Eglin AFB. We stayed near Destin and visited the camp often. I have no reason to believe that Afghan refugees won't as positive an influence on the U.S. as the Vietnamese refugees were.
Are you joking? The Vietnamese refugees have definitely not had a positive influence, and the Afghanis are going to be much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies