Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 09:33 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,520,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
My grandmother was head cook of my grade school... I always got 2 beating when I got in trouble at school.
My parents divorced when I was 4. If I ever got in trouble at one parent’s house, I’d get a second dose of punishment upon returning home to the other parent’s home. My parents were unified in their discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 09:43 AM

9,381 posts, read 14,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I used to get smacked by nuns in grade school ... ?
I got punched in the head by priests in high school; I loved them for it then, I still love them for it.

Discipline is the capstone.

They cared enough to discipline.

But this is the wrong forum for any such discussions.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:52 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,062,941 times
Quote:
I used to get smacked by nuns in grade school, where were the protesters back then?
Same here

Old 08-25-2021, 10:06 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
This is one of the bottom five rated non-alternative high schools in Kentucky. It is ranked lower even than quite of few alternative schools. As of last testing, only 17% of students are proficient in math and only 36% are proficient in reading. Pre-Covid 68% of the students received free lunch and 6% reduced lunch.

I know mom says the reason the kid hit the teacher is that he has PTSD. Well, the teacher probably has PTSD also. We do not pay teachers who work in schools like this enough, they should be receiving higher pay than teachers in other schools. Test scores that low are not really about teacher quality, although they do tend to become the resting place for crappy teachers, it’s primarily about parent quality. The issue won’t be fixed until we acknowledge that.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:08 AM

3,234 posts, read 1,613,143 times
Quote:
I used to get smacked by nuns in grade school, where were the protesters back then?
At my school, Sister Marie the principal, would walk around with a long paddle.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:09 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
More proof that the "ass-beating generation" produced better young adults than did the "time out generation."
The problem is that too many parents replaced butt whoppings with nothing. You don’t need to beat a kid to make them behave but you do need to consistently discipline them in some manner.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:18 AM

24,543 posts, read 17,291,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The problem is that too many parents replaced butt whoppings with nothing. You don’t need to beat a kid to make them behave but you do need to consistently discipline them in some manner.

That is the issue. A kid doesn't have to be beaten but they need to learn that there are consequences to their actions. It is a sad state of affairs but in so many cases the "kids" up their no fear no thought attitudes to the point where they hit a teacher or go running with a street gang and when they get called out for their bad behavior like when this teacher grabbed the lil darling or worse when he had already been shot and luckily survived where is the aha moment?
He should be grateful he did not die when he was shot and he should reconsider his friends and approach to life.

He should also reconsider that it is not ok to hit someone because they might just hit back but what will likely happen in this situation is the protesters will carry the torch for the kid and pressure the school to fire the teacher and the kid will have "won" with never having learned any lesson.

The sad thing is someday he will "lose" when he hits a rival gangster or even a cop.

Kids need discipline and that is sorely lacking these days.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:23 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,331,176 times
Quote:
"To be told that you're just another boy that's going to be shot dead, I could see where that could trigger his PTSD," his mother, Erica Strane, added to WBRB.
If the teacher, who is supposed to be some kind of leader or source of encouragement sat there and told some kid he's going to end up dead, then i can see how a child could be triggered. That type of statement is just conditioning (black) kids for the school-to-prison pipeline.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:27 AM

19,693 posts, read 12,275,135 times
One of my favorite memories from high school is when the vice principal finally gave it to one of the school bullies. It was a girl, a mean girl. She was walking out of the cafeteria past Mr. G and she said something nasty. He tried to stop her and grabbed her arm and she took a hard swing at him. He grabbed her by the ponytail and swung her around against the wall and pushed her down to her knees. She was so humiliated she was crying. Mr. G was real smooth the way he did it, and we all applauded. I'll bet she got some hell when she got home too.

After that she was still a jerk, but she was better. And we all respected Mr. G a little more because she really needed something like that to happen, as nothing else had worked.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:27 AM

27,693 posts, read 16,186,489 times
Was pleasently suprised that race wasnt mentioned, and then it was, and is the whole narratibe. Sad. What we got is a fkd up student and an over reactive teacher. But now we have a racial incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies