Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:58 AM

989 posts, read 769,314 times

Advertisements

I do not understand why the Reps in the house and senate are so against this when the majority of Americans and yes Republicans and their constituents are for it. A lot if their base is over 55-60 and would benefit greatly from Medicare Expansion. This does not make sense, seems they prefer to support the insurance and drug companies rather than their own constituents. Voting just to spite the Dems seems like a great way to go against their voting base. I am center right and I am for it.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:01 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
Drug negotiation? You really think that is going to impact prices?

Medicare already pays a certain amount for hospitalization and drugs and that has not impacted prices at all.

Why do democrats feel that scratching the surface of the problem will make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I do not understand why the Reps in the house and senate are so against this when the majority of Americans and yes Republicans and their constituents are for it. A lot if their base is over 55-60 and would benefit greatly from Medicare Expansion. This does not make sense, seems they prefer to support the insurance and drug companies rather than their own constituents. Voting just to spite the Dems seems like a great way to go against their voting base. I am center right and I am for it.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:04 AM

One has to start somewhere! So just because it is perfect we should just say no and go against our own voting base. There would be no innovation anywhere in anything and we would be stuck in the dark ages id everyone thought like that. At least they a little forward thinking and trying to get it right.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:16 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I do not understand why the Reps in the house and senate are so against this when the majority of Americans and yes Republicans and their constituents are for it. ...
It's not very hard to figure out. Think about it.

For Republicans, their real constituents are the donors, not the voters.

The bigger donors have more influence and access than the smaller donors, and out of all of them the biggest donors dominate the party. These are the ones the Republican representatives and senators make personal phone calls to, and most of those don't even live in their districts! The donor's money is their vote and they are on a first name basis with your typical Republican representative, while you and I are not.

Likewise for Big Pharma.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It's not very hard to figure out. Think about it.

For Republicans, their real constituents are the donors, not the voters.

The bigger donors have more influence and access than the smaller donors, and out of all of them the biggest donors dominate the party. These are the ones the Republican representatives and senators make personal phone calls to, and most of those don't even live in their districts! The donor's money is their vote and they are on a first name basis with your typical Republican representative, while you and I are not.

Likewise for Big Pharma.
OK, I will buy that, but Why do people (we) keep voting for them? It does not seem to make sense. OK, they do not like the dems, but there are third parties they can vote for to make a point.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:36 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times
The federal government can't even run the VA system (it may have gotten a LITTLE better under Trump - but it's still bad) or the post office. I don't want them in charge of my healthcare. Sorry

Old 08-25-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
The federal government can't even run the VA system (it may have gotten a LITTLE better under Trump - but it's still bad) or the post office. I don't want them in charge of my healthcare. Sorry
Didn't take long for the dis-information Trumper brigade to chime in, please refrain from posting and Hijacking this thread, your posts will be ignored as it has nothing to do with Trump. You are not "Most" republicans. Most reps want some change in this area.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:46 AM

10,480 posts, read 6,991,011 times
When you're 55 you should be in the prime of your career. Medicare was established for the retired people. When you start adding more to the group, the quality and care goes down for those who really need it.

Also, do you honestly think most politicians care about healthcare prices? A lot of their campaign funding comes directly from Big Pharma and the Insurance companies. Hell the first thing Biden did when he got into office was reverse Trumps executive order increasing the price of insulin shots from a few bucks to $1,500 a month for those who have diabetes.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Drug negotiation would be a good thing if handled correctly.
More and more lately, I don't see that happening, not with the Pharma lover Biden administration.

Lowering the age for Medicare means those younger people have less money towards it if they see it as as an incentive to retire early...something many keep working for just because of coverage... which translates into another hand out.
It also would mean, in that case, that there are years of Medicare taxes that would be lost and from people in their peak earning years.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
When you're 55 you should be in the prime of your career. Medicare was established for the retired people. When you start adding more to the group, the quality and care goes down for those who really need it.

Also, do you honestly think most politicians care about healthcare prices? A lot of their campaign funding comes directly from Big Pharma and the Insurance companies. Hell the first thing Biden did when he got into office was reverse Trumps executive order increasing the price of insulin shots from a few bucks to $1,500 a month for those who have diabetes.
I was really thinking about the over 60 group. A lot of folks are retiring early now for many reasons, older folk have more trouble getting good jobs and such. There are a lot of retirees out there without affordable healthcare. I retired at 51, but was lucky that my DW had us covered. Now I am on Medicare and she has retired, she has to rely on the ACA for half decent healthcare coverage for another 3 years, it would be great if she had a Medicare option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies