Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 12:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Wait, I thought everyone was stuck and Biden's evacuation was completely incompetent?

Also, the "no vetting" narrative is patently untrue.

U.S. Races to Vet Afghans for Security Risks as Evacuations Rise

Biden emphasizes that Afghan refugees will be vetted before entering US

There has never been a way to reasonably vet anyone in a country like Afghanistan or most places for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyofAnkha1969 View Post
The AMERICANS are stuck. This administration has prioritized the Afghans over their own citizens.
Really? How so?

US civilians have been told to go home for more than 2 years.

What prevented them from doing so?

Reportedly, about 1500 remain. Not all are in Kabul. Should the relative few troops that remain scour every cave in this poor, mostly rural, mountainous country?

No one knows for certain because US civilians have a tendency to not register with embassies upon arrival. You know….freedom and all that.

Reasonable people left last year when the US struck a deal with the Taliban.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
** Many are coming NOT because they love America but to escape the Taliban, once they get likely free housing, food ect. how many of their 18-30 yr old men will find a mosque and radicalize? Some had family members who may have joined the Afgan Army fragged Americans got killed so now they'll have perfect set up for revenge. I am sorry but regional and other Muslim countries need to help these folks. This whole mess is so outa control...
Seems the Taliban, al Qaeda and ISIS will be fighting each other in Afghanistan, once the US and allies are out.

When the US finally withdrew its last troops from Iraq in 2011, per the 2008 agreement, things went bad fast.

Who would not want to be resettled in the West?

Several countries will be hosts to those being resettled.

So much fear mongering. So little time. I am inclined to think there will be an uptick in hate crimes against those being perceived as Muslim in the US. The “ you all look the same” mentality, thing.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I saw coverage of a Qatar plane landing and it seemed most were Afghans who had worked with the American forces. They were all given visas. Some were Afghan Americans who were bringing their family back to USA......

Most of them were going to bases around the country.

And at the time the report was -- all of them were screened. They were not flown direct from Afghanistan ---
Qatar has agreed to housing thousands of refugees during processing.

Some media reporting refugee complaints of crowded conditions, inadequate toilet facilities and the oppressive heat at Qatar facilities, not too different than ginning up the noise about the lack of women’s’ and LGBTQ rights in Afghanistan.

Like Phoenix, it’s 110 in most of Qatar, right now. Running around asking people if they are hot so you can report it, is news.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I'm getting whiplash.

So some folks are whining because the USA isn't going to save all the Afghans, then some are furious they aren't bringing anyone who worked with them in the last 20 years.....

and then some unofficial report suggests 50K with no visas...and then that's fact.

One day the media is wrong, the next day the media is right.....

AAAACCCCKKKKK

IT is cause for concern if 50K Afghans are processed through the check points and dropped off in the USA.

We have no evidence or proof of that.

Someone reported it from an anno0nymous source.

Yes Afghans have been arriving in the USA after they have been screened and we don't know if they have visas but I will assume so until otherwise.

Do you really think Biden and friends will set themselves up to bring in terrorists and then have to deal with that fall out if they attack the USA....really.
People believe anything when it seems to validate their perceptions.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If an American can get to the airport, they can leave. I fail to see how that is prioritizing Afghans over Americans. What would you be doing differently today?

I am on record in the forum saying the first days of the withdraw were incredibly chaotic and that I was unhappy with the administration's handling of it.

Today, things are going incredibly well given the circumstances. The biggest airlift in history is occurring.
It may be one of the biggest but not the biggest. That belongs to the 170,000 Indians evacuated from Kuwait.

Then there’s Vietnam. Numbers are clouded because the Navy played a critical role in evacuation as well as commercial charters and military flights.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
But placating terrorists may ultimately cost more lives than it saves. If the Islamic terrorists see that America, under Biden, is a cowardly nation afraid to assert its superiority, then we become much more vulnerable to a terrorist attack.

Placating bullies only emboldens them and makes them worse. Biden should announce that we are evacuating Americans as quickly as possible, but that their lives take priority - and if it takes another week or two into September, we will continue doing so. His statement about how we are depending on the Taliban "cooperating" puts them in the driver's seat and make us look like groveling cowards before the world.
2001- US invades Afghanistan to crush the Taliban

2019-20- US negotiated troop withdrawal from Afghanistan with the Taliban. In doing so, it legitimized the Taliban.

2021- Taliban has its hands full with ISIS and al- Qaeda.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,214,139 times
How many of these have ties to either IRIS or Taliban?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyofAnkha1969 View Post
The Americans can't get to the airport. That's the problem.

"Today, things are going incredibly well given the circumstances." - I don't consider terrorists telling our President what he'll do to be "incredibly well". Since when does the United States let terrorists tell them what to do?

"The biggest airlift in history is occurring." - This is the part that you're supposed to do BEFORE you pull the troops. That's what I, my neighbor, my father, and even my dog would have done differently, because this is so obvious that my dog could have figured it out.
Well then, the time for an airlift came and went in 2020 when the number of troops were reduced to 2500.

The US strongly encouraged civilians to avoid travel to Afghanistan for years. It also strongly encouraged civilians to leave in 2019-20. Obviously thousands did not listen. And freedom- loving US civilians don’t bother registering their presence with the embassy.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:51 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,465 times
Quote:
That's not fitting the narrative so far. The Afghans have not been flown to the USA yet.
Actually they have. The first ones arrived last weekend in Virginia.

Afghan refugees arrive, temporarily, in northern Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies