Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 09:59 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The internet has changed the face of medicine. Now when a patient goes to the doctor, the patient knows more about their condition than the doctor does.

One pain management doctor wanted to give me pain meds that I read were suspected of causing prostate cancer in men. When I told him, he took me into his office, showed me the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) and said there was no way he could know all the side effects of every medication, but at the same time tells me he prescribes it to many patients. So why didn't he know the side effects if he's prescribing it so often? I never filled the prescription and never went back to him.
What pain med causes cancer? I don't recall hearing or reading about that, but always willing to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 10:03 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
One poster said her docs always want to give her statins. Not only don't they acknowledge trade-offs like the patient may suffer from atrial fibrillation, muscle deterioration, gall bladder removal, etc. from statins ,they will deny you tests which prove you don't need statins. Most people don't understand the cholesterol numbers aren't the whole story, particle size is important, and if the HDL is large sized it doesn't stick in arteries, no matter how high the number is, but some docs will refuse to approve the test so they can push statins on patients who don't need them.

Thank goodness for the internet, there were so many times I avoided going to the doctor by researching my problem and taking care of it successfully at home. I hate having confrontations with doctors and will avoid them at all costs, but I don't mind going to Urgent Care, no appt. needed, no pushing of drugs, no future appts, I'm in and out.
I would hope most understand what cholesterol is and how it affects your health. In my case it did affect my arteries. And don't blame the doctors. I'm sure many insurance companies wouldn't pay for these tests.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Every medication can cause side affects and every single one has to be listed so companies don't get sued for not disclosing it. I'm on cholesterol meds because it's hereditary in my family. The internet says it could cause renal failure and liver damage but that these are infrequent side effects. Did my doc tell me that....no because this is not the norm.
And that is a big problem with learning on your own on the internet. In most cases you don't get a good sense of the relative risks. You certainly can find them all. But many of the risks listed just never turn up with any frequency. For instance with statins, liver side effects were a substantial worry early on back in '80's. But over time and the next 30 years, even persistently looking for liver problems, it rarely occurs, and almost never causes illness.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I would hope most understand what cholesterol is and how it affects your health. In my case it did affect my arteries. And don't blame the doctors. I'm sure many insurance companies wouldn't pay for these tests.
The HDL/LDL tests are commonly done with lipid panels. Although they are not always needed every time the lipids are checked, in so many instances the whole shebang comes easier and cheaper as a panel.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:15 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The HDL/LDL tests are commonly done with lipid panels. Although they are not always needed every time the lipids are checked, in so many instances the whole shebang comes easier and cheaper as a panel.
This is just routine bloodwork you get with every checkup.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:49 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
From an economists perspective.

The employee trades their time and expertise for a salary and benefits paid by the employer.

The EMPLOYEE is paying for his/her health care, not the employer. It is part of the deal.

Under slavery or indentured servitude system, it is correct to say that the employer pays for the health care.

BTW...the Supreme Court has nine lawyers on it that probably never took a class in economics.
All true, but one need not have taken classes in economics like AOC to understand this employer has the right to vary the price based on risk factors.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So in your opinion, doctors kill more people than they save?

I guess if I believed that, I would never go to a physician.

I myself have been saved from two lethal cancers and am kept alive currently by medicines.

To each his own.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? Specifically the MORE part.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Then pay your own hospital costs if you get sick. I applaud Delta Airlines for increasing insurance costs to unvaccinated employees.
I'll bet you supported Obama care, specifically the per-existing condition part, right?

Do you also think gays or promiscuous people should pay their own AIDS bills?
Should Women NOT on BC have to pay for their own abortions?
Should smokers/drug users/alcoholics have to pay their own treatment?

Old 08-27-2021, 12:27 AM

2,335 posts, read 814,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Last time I checked most posters here weren’t infectious disease experts.
Uh huh, is there a point to your comment? Do you often go to people that aren't experts to get advice? Do you call a roof repairman to fix your plumbing?

Old 08-27-2021, 12:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I've had to see multiple Dr's for an issue nobody seemed to take seriously or understand. It wasn't anything serious in my case but I know others who have been through the same thing with serious issues. As patients we have to be our own advocates because Dr's aren't always right, or even very good Dr's. Nobody knows my body better than me so when I think something is wrong but the professionals disagree I'm right and they are wrong, period.

I'm vaccinated BTW, but I'm probably not going to "boost" myself with more of the same because I don't think it would be beneficial. I'll wait until there is something better than what we currently have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies