Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 06:55 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Just curious. I am always interested in exactly WHY some people don’t want the Covid vaccine. That is their right; however, I wonder if those same individuals trust the advice their physicians provide in other health issues?

If yes, why the inconsistency? If no, why go to the doctor at all?

Our chief of staff commented last week that if we had the internet 60-70 years ago, we would probably still have polio and small pox affecting patients in the US. Vaccination, of course, eliminated both of those diseases. When I was a med student, whooping cough and diphtheria were interesting from a historical and third world prospective only. No one ever expected to see anyone with those diseases; illegal immigration has changed all that.
"do you trust your doctors judgement on other issues?"

Why do you think so many get a SECOND opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 06:56 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post

Better to educate yourself and trust your own judgment.
Really -- so if you get cancer you are going to rely on your expertise in that area to choose a treatment plan?

No -- you will turn to the experts in cancer.

Sure you will choose one of the options.

But right now -- clearly there are more 'experts' supporting the vaccine than those saying no...but the no is who you are going to go with.

That's like researching the safest car....and ever analysis suggests car A is the safest but there is a random study that says car b....so you choose car B.....

Old 08-27-2021, 06:57 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
I trust that my doctor is not being bribed to make health decisions like Fauci is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Just curious. I am always interested in exactly WHY some people don’t want the Covid vaccine. That is their right; however, I wonder if those same individuals trust the advice their physicians provide in other health issues?

If yes, why the inconsistency? If no, why go to the doctor at all?

Our chief of staff commented last week that if we had the internet 60-70 years ago, we would probably still have polio and small pox affecting patients in the US. Vaccination, of course, eliminated both of those diseases. When I was a med student, whooping cough and diphtheria were interesting from a historical and third world prospective only. No one ever expected to see anyone with those diseases; illegal immigration has changed all that.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:00 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
Why do assume a DO is a quack vs an MD?
My doctor for over 20 years is a DO. And I work at the school where he and his son got thier
medical degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
The "quacks" are generally DO's, NOT MD's...

Old 08-27-2021, 07:05 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
What pain med causes cancer? I don't recall hearing or reading about that, but always willing to learn.
Actually it's a drug written off-label for pain called neurontin. I couldn't find any documentation on the link between neurontin and prostate cancer to give you, my experience with the pain management doctor and neurontin happened several years ago, so maybe the link between neurontin and prostate cancer has been changed by now or taken out of the documentation (I'm always the cynic).

BTW, my neighbor is 90 yrs old and a chronic pain victim from muscoloskeletal problems (who doesn't have them at 90?), otherwise he is healthy with no age related diseases (except maybe arthritis), he's very remarkable. His doctor recommended neurontin but after my neighbor read all the negative side effects he refused it.

Last edited by wp169; 08-27-2021 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 07:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Why do you think so many get a SECOND opinion?
But in this case if you get 100 opinions --- I suspect 95 of them will say get the vaccine

Old 08-27-2021, 07:29 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Two years ago I took ibuprofen for only four days and every since I've had a recurrent canker sore on my gum, I read that ibuprofen effects the immune system, which effects the mucous membranes, the scientific reason can be found on-line. If I knew this when the dentist gave me the ibuprofen prescription for a TMJ issue I would have never taken it. I knew that ibuprofen long term can cause atrial fibrillation, so I never took the over the counter one. I never thought taking ibuprofen for four days would cause me an ongoing problem that I need to take care of all the time with remedies, watching my diet, etc.

My point is if taking ibuprofen for four days effected my immune system so negatively, what will the mRNA spike proteins from the injection (we are told the decoy spike proteins stay in our systems for a few weeks) do to my immune system that I might not even be aware of until some medical problem develops?

Old 08-27-2021, 07:35 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
All true, but one need not have taken classes in economics like AOC to understand this employer has the right to vary the price based on risk factors.
The employers HC insurance companies varies their group rate based on risks. At least that how our plan worked. So one employee with bad risks raises the premium of all the employees.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:36 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But in this case if you get 100 opinions --- I suspect 95 of them will say get the vaccine
TBH yours is the only one that matters. You can use the 100 other opinions to inform your decision but ultimately it's your own decision.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:40 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've had to see multiple Dr's for an issue nobody seemed to take seriously or understand. It wasn't anything serious in my case but I know others who have been through the same thing with serious issues. As patients we have to be our own advocates because Dr's aren't always right, or even very good Dr's. Nobody knows my body better than me so when I think something is wrong but the professionals disagree I'm right and they are wrong, period.

I'm vaccinated BTW, but I'm probably not going to "boost" myself with more of the same because I don't think it would be beneficial. I'll wait until there is something better than what we currently have.
Depending on the timing of your previous vaccination and the brand name, the mRNA's are waning in efficacy. The Pfizer as early as 6 months, the Moderna longer. A booster now gives you much more Delta resistance. A more specific Delta directed booster will be here in about 100 days, but it makes little sense for high risk people to wait. My high risk wife got #3 this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies