Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2021, 05:35 AM

26,302 posts, read 14,897,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Not just politicians are refusing to retire. It's happening in academia, medicine and industry as well. And it's going to get worse with all the Baby Boomers saying they look young and feel young. Mick Jagger is quite old.

I have students that were talking about how Biden, Pelosi, and some others are old Boomers that need to retire. I pointed out that technically those aren't boomers, they are older than boomers, they are from the silent generation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 05:48 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,128,613 times
Generally speaking, I believe that as long as they are competent, the elderly should be permitted to serve in Congress. With age often comes wisdom. If people elect them, let them fulfill the duties of the position. Having younger and older provides balance.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:50 AM

32,954 posts, read 12,241,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I believe the word is swamp creatures. These people caused many of the problems we face today because they have had the same power for decades. Why would people vote for them? They have the money and power to keep their political careers in the primaries. It’s impossible to change anything in Washington. I stopped voting, because it doesn’t matter. A young aspiring senator will come in and clean things up will quickly find out if they want to be re-elected they better fall in line. Also, I live in a one party state which will blindly vote down the line democrat…a state that is so backwards we can’t even pump our own gas, light a sparkler (reversed thanks to Supreme Court), or have legal or medical marijuana even though it was voted on and passed via referendum. What’s the point of voting when you are bogged down in idiocy? I am done. Whatever happens will happen and the people deserve what they vote for. They outnumber me by too significant a number.
I love a number of things about your state, but that drives me crazy.

Sometimes I'll look for a big station with a pump that is far away from the attendant and see if I can start and finish pumping either without the attendant noticing or before getting out to scold me, when I can feign ignorance with my way out of state plates.

Other times, I've waited and combined a gas trip with a trip to the Palisades Mall, paying more for the gas in New York State, but at least I can pump it myself.

Even Oregon got rid of that regulation.

New Jersey is the lone holdout.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:51 AM

18,495 posts, read 15,479,782 times
It is becoming a gerontocracy because “respect your elders” is being taken to an extreme. But this would not be the first culture to do this...

Old 08-29-2021, 06:02 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,094,380 times
This is for one year but has been the situation all along.

"In the 2020 general election, 93% of incumbents nationwide won their re-election bids."
https://ballotpedia.org/Election_res...rates_by_state

Old 08-29-2021, 07:48 AM

26,302 posts, read 14,897,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This is for one year but has been the situation all along.

"In the 2020 general election, 93% of incumbents nationwide won their re-election bids."
https://ballotpedia.org/Election_res...rates_by_state
The vast majority disapprove of congress no matter what year, but the majority like their specific congress member.

Bacon is part of it.

Old 08-29-2021, 07:54 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,140,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Nancy Pelosi turned 81 this year. Joe Biden will be 79 in November. For Senators: Dianne Feinstein is 88. Chuck Grassley is 88. James Inhofe is 86. Richard Shelby is 87. It is the oldest Senate in history. These are people who have already outlived many folks that are in the nursing home. I don't mean to be crass, but isn't old age a time when one is preparing to check out? Spending more time with loved ones. Taking that trip that was never possible. Willing to step aside for younger folks who may have better minds and ideas?

"Twenty-three members of the Senate are in their 70s; only one is under 40. According to the Congressional Research Service, the average age of senators at the beginning of this year was 64.3 years — the oldest in history."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e-term-limits/

It's disheartening to think that our President is 78 years old with obvious mental and cognitive decline. The #3 in the country (Pelosi) is 81. More and more, I'm beginning to think of age and term limits for public officials. In the armed forces and many other occupations, there are age, height, weight restrictions for obvious reasons. Why not for politicians as well?

Wouldn't term or age limits promote the idea of a true public servant, one who has the interest of their constituents and nation at heart? One who doesn't go to Washington just to become rich and famous. It seems that if these elderly Senators and Congress members are hanging onto these positions for dear life, the gravy train must be so good they can't get off. And I don't see how that's helpful or healthy for a democratic republic such as ours.

More than anything though, I'm just wondering: Why are these people still there? Don't they have other places to be? Would love to hear your thoughts.
It's a big club.....and you aren't in it. George Carlin
This guy was a genius, and I don't use that term too often.
Profanity warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyvxt1svxso

Old 08-29-2021, 07:57 AM

34 posts, read 15,217 times
I've long been supportive of imposing age limits and term limits on federal politicians, but unfortunately, such limits could only be imposed through constitutional amendment. In this polarized environment, that is not happening. Several of the politicians listened in the opening post will probably be in office until they die.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:32 AM

26,918 posts, read 15,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I'm right there with you. It's past time these elderly people retire to the "Fletcher Memorial Home-Pink Floyd".

We need new faces and ideas for this country. It's a **** poor shame that money buys your way in politics. It's just a way to keep the ordinary Joe's out. One's that exactly know what is going on in their city, jurisdiction and state. That's probably why the government doesn't want Joe's in office. They're afraid of losing their power over the people.
Love the reference, it's fitting.

Voters need to change their ways but I also believe no one should serve more than two terms just as the Office of President.
Many serving for decades leads to an elite club of corruption.

https://youtu.be/zDDzR2zSgsM

Last edited by bluesjuke; 08-29-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-29-2021, 09:07 AM

2,369 posts, read 901,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My father delivered his last baby at 88, saw his last patient at 92. He lived four more years and until his last week of life was just as sharp has he had been in my younger days. I agree his reflexes did start becoming a problem after his late 80’s, but his brain never let him down until the very end. My mother was not so lucky.

Mitch McConnell and Joe Biden are the same age, cognitively they are worlds apart. Chuck Grassley is older than them both and aside from still having mental acuity he managed to do 22 push-ups at a local town hall meeting. My point is age matters more in some people than others.

I’m not young myself but I still can keep up with my work load and keep abreast of the new research and trends in my profession. What I definitely have over too many of my younger colleagues is a better work ethic.
That's just the attitude I am talking about, that keeps people from retiring. Sure you may "show no signs". My father is 98 and still running the company. I show no signs but I am going to say I am not as good as I used to be because that is what Nature dictates.

If you compare to someone else you are always better in some ways. And all the examples around us only show the old person still able to do the same tasks they have been doing regularly. Your father could still deliver babies, but he didn't learn medicine at 88. Chuck Grassley can do push-ups because he has been doing push-ups.

More than ever in human history, a large number of old people are so proud of being "the exception". But there are actually no exceptions because decline is part of the dying process, and no one escapes death.

All these old people still hanging on is not good for the human race. Some people even say that covid is a way to cull the aging population that's dragging us down.

Our government has no vitality and no momentum because it's a bunch of old people doing the same things they have done before and patting themselves on the back. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies