Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 07:54 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Right. There is no way to predict any path as to how the virus will mutate as it relates to man. As said, the tendency is for the virus to succeed as less than lethal. But man these days is so 'unnatural' in so many ways. We move about our domains and the world so unpredictability while infected. And then there are medical interventions all along trying to foil mother nature. The Delta does appear to be less lethal per case, although definitely more transmissible and affecting younger ages. It may just burn out on its own, but that is not reliable pie in the sky today.
By nature it cannot be less severe due to the higher viral load vs Alpha. I think this is why Pediatric ICUs are full.

There is something different about how SARS-COV-2 binds to the ACE-2 Receptors that is different and more inflammatory than other Coronaviruses.

Until we fully understand and appreciate those differences, a high level of caution is warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 10:53 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not any earthshaking great news.
From that link.....
"Pfizer and BioNTech are developing booster shots and are expected to shortly seek U.S. authorization for a third dose of its vaccine.
"
2 things is you don't read carefully. The 'shortly' refers to being authorized for the 3rd existing shot for everybody because as of now, it's a limited authorization... "for certain immunocompromised people: solid organ transplant recipients or "those who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise."

2nd thing you and I touched on before.
No telling how long before any new concoction will be available and if more effective against Delta...well, Delta may not even be prominent by then. And until then (and even after, if the current one is still in large supply) the original is still all people will get...all they are getting now as a 3rd unauthorized shot.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Not any earthshaking great news.
From that link.....
"Pfizer and BioNTech are developing booster shots and are expected to shortly seek U.S. authorization for a third dose of its vaccine.
"
2 things is you don't read carefully. The 'shortly' refers to being authorized for the 3rd existing shot for everybody because as of now, it's a limited authorization... "for certain immunocompromised people: solid organ transplant recipients or "those who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise."

2nd thing you and I touched on before.
No telling how long before any new concoction will be available and if more effective against Delta...well, Delta may not even be prominent by then. And until then (and even after, if the current one is still in large supply) the original is still all people will get...all they are getting now as a 3rd unauthorized shot.
My wife is immune compromised and took Moderna #3 last week.
I've been told that an edited mRNA for the Delta will be out in about 100 days. And yes there are many ifs there.
Right now #3 is the best medical bet against the Delta.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:13 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was responding to someone who said I made up out of thin air the possibility that the virus could get more deadly. I simply pointed out where I read about it. If you read what the SAGE report says. 4 scenarios. 3 are not good. One has already happened (delta). The other 3 are, more deadly, more deadly and more transmissible or it goes away.

They could be totally wrong on this. Who knows.
Notice they did NOT mention mutating less deadly .... another viable possibility.

They only accounted for "doom and gloom" scenarios...enough to scare people and influence them based on emotions...the fear of death emotion.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:04 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If we'd have handled the 1918 flu outbreak the way we are handling covid, we'd still be fighting that 1918 flu. But just keep on keeping on, folks. Let's have covid for the next 500 years.
So tell us, his would you handle it ? Btw my son in an induced coma now with Delta. So pray do tell.

This poor man talked a lot - until . Prayers for his family. 30 yrs old - is sad

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...-dies-covid-19

Old 08-30-2021, 01:26 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Notice they did NOT mention mutating less deadly .... another viable possibility.

They only accounted for "doom and gloom" scenarios...enough to scare people and influence them based on emotions...the fear of death emotion.
They did. I posted what they said:

Scenario four: The Delta variant mutates to become less harmful, similar to the four coronaviruses circulating today, such as the common cold. ( The SAGE report considers the possibility that the virus will develop decreased virulence to be a realistic possibility, only in the long term.)

So far the rosy predictions that it would be gone by now were wrong. Boith Trump and Biden made that claim. What if the most likely outcomes are all not good? Is that doom and gloom or cold hard facts? This is real life not a movie script. No guarantees of a happy ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies