Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
French Empire fell when rentier percent reached 30%...

I'm on nobody's side here. Non-paying tenants are bad people. Landlords are bad people too, as is anyone who is living on an unearned income.
How are landlords (apart from slumlords) bad people? They've apparently worked hard enough to buy investment property and earn the money coming in from tenants. Well deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 08:44 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
How are landlords (apart from slumlords) bad people? They've apparently worked hard enough to buy investment property and earn the money coming in from tenants. Well deserved.
A landlord is also providing a service of value to the tenant in exchange for money as part of a contractual relationship between willing participants.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
That has nothing with what I said.
Try one more time.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
A landlord is also providing a service of value to the tenant in exchange for money as part of a contractual relationship between willing participants.
Exactly. I don't know why some folks just automatically think anyone with money or assets are bad people. I think jealousy plays a part. They don't have that and assume people must be doing shady things in order to get what they have.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
So someone is bad if they put money in a CD, stocks or real estate? Do you want them to give it away or spend it all? Or maybe put it in a sock in the closet?

Do you think tenants repair a leaky roof or replace the plumbing?
Costs (prorated over time) of repairs are part of the rent, so yes, tenants pay.

As for the rest - call me communist, but I have a firm belief: those who don't work, should not eat. Pretty simple. Living off somebody's else labor? Bad person.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:13 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyofAnkha1969 View Post
It was wrong for the Trump Administration to implement this policy and it was wrong for the Biden Administration to continue and extend it.
^^This. I felt the entire policy was unconstitutional from the start and amounted to unlawful seizure of assets.

Utter and complete BS.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Costs (prorated over time) of repairs are part of the rent, so yes, tenants pay.

As for the rest - call me communist, but I have a firm belief: those who don't work, should not eat. Pretty simple. Living off somebody's else labor? Bad person.
What makes you think Landlords don't work?

What weird notions you have.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
In my state the people most impacted by the rent moratorium have been small landlords with 1-4 properties. Another article I read a couple of months ago claimed minority landlords had a higher percentage of non-paying tenants.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:22 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:

I guess your employer's a bad person too, since they're living off your labor. Maybe you should let them know how you feel about them. I'm sure they'll be happy to find someone who thinks better of them to replace you.

You realize employment in general is created by people who live off of other people's labor (capital), right? Your job wouldn't exist without so-called "bad people".

Old 08-29-2021, 09:26 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
You do know Biden could have ended that policy 7-8 months ago just like when he ended Trumps remain in Mexico policy, right?
Biden isn't going to go down as the best President ever award. There's a very long list of Trump screwups that Biden could have fixed that he likewise hasn't. Even for an exceptional President who could actually unify his party, which Biden can't, let alone the other party, which maybe nobody can and particularly someone who can't even get their party behind them, this wasn't a one of Trump's screwups that Biden was going to fix. The progressive like Trump's screwup in this case so Biden's not going to go to try and reverse a Trump policy that most of his guys either like or are indifferent to. Doing so doesn't benefit Biden.

If he catches any flack for it, easy enough to deflect. It was good enough for the Republicans under Trump. My guys like it. Why would I end one of Trump's policies that I like? Biden being Biden. He let SCOTUS be the bad guy. Partisan for sure, but also a smart political move. Basically what I'd expect from Biden, he's going to put partisan politics ahead every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies