Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 02:15 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

WOW!!!! Taliban offered "Biden admin" control of Kabul and they TURNED IT DOWN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Any explanations for why?

What was the Taliban demanding in exchange for this concession?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Washington Post broke the story. I posted a link from them in another thread.

This administration is so awful you can't even keep up with every bad story, lol!
So, no links to any article that supports this claim?

Last edited by Roboteer; 08-30-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 03:23 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's your takeaway?

My guess is, it wasn't Biden's decision and is an excellent power play advised by his military staff.

If the story is true.
So now Biden is an easily led around tool? Good to know how low your opinion of him has fallen.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:25 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
So you are basically saying you don’t care about the soldiers who died, the Afghans who have and will die, the women’s rights that will be rolled back 20 years, the deaths at the hands of the taliban themselves, nor the deaths of those to come from increased terrorism. Got it.

There was no logical reason to pull out of Afghanistan. We had minimal troops there at this point with almost no deaths. That small price for more stability in that region, less threat of terrorism to the west, and a semi democracy that the Afghan people could live under. We keep many more troops in other countries to keep the world a safer place. Should we defacto pull of those too?
She has to ignore those deaths. If you pray at the alter of St. Biden, you need a high threshold for the pain and suffering of others.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Last plane left today with it's final evacuees.

Like child birth complications transpired. The end result, we are out. 20 years and billions spent. Lesson learned on that extraction.

So just what, if anything is the Taliban planning to do with that desolate land?
I can't imagine them being versed in e-commerce or diplomatic alliances. All these groups only know is how to shoot , kill, and terrorize. I just imagine them going...okay...ummm...Now what? We really didn't think this all the way thru...

Old 08-30-2021, 05:11 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Last plane left today with it's final evacuees.

Like child birth complications transpired. The end result, we are out. 20 years and billions spent. Lesson learned on that extraction.

So just what, if anything is the Taliban planning to do with that desolate land?
I can't imagine them being versed in e-commerce or diplomatic alliances. All these groups only know is how to shoot , kill, and terrorize. I just imagine them going...okay...ummm...Now what? We really didn't think this all the way thru...
The first two countries they are going to pony up to are China and Russia.
They have what both countries want, namely many minerals in the ground, and American weaponry and technology.
The taliban need money, and that shouldn't be difficult for China to answer the call.

I believe with in the next two or three weeks, the Taliban will send a message to the Biden, or Harris white house, demanding the funds that are frozen, and in that message will be an indication that they will behead 10 Americans for every hour their request goes unanswered.
That is who the taliban is, and what lies ahead.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So now Biden is an easily led around tool? Good to know how low your opinion of him has fallen.
I didn't call him an "easily led around tool". I voted for him, and am glad I did.

I don't think this was his decision. He seems to rely on his military leaders, and take their advice, and this would be exactly the kind of advice it would be wise to listen to the military about.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
So you are basically saying you don’t care about the soldiers who died, the Afghans who have and will die, the women’s rights that will be rolled back 20 years, the deaths at the hands of the taliban themselves, nor the deaths of those to come from increased terrorism. Got it.

There was no logical reason to pull out of Afghanistan. We had minimal troops there at this point with almost no deaths. That small price for more stability in that region, less threat of terrorism to the west, and a semi democracy that the Afghan people could live under. We keep many more troops in other countries to keep the world a safer place. Should we defacto pull of those too?
I can't imagine why you would say that.

I'm from a military family. I care much more deeply than most.

On the other hand, it would be humiliating to say thanks, we'll take your offering to the Taliban.

We want out of there. We don't want to do their job.

They're obviously flailing, and I don't care to rescue them from that.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:29 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
I can't imagine why you would say that.

I'm from a military family. I care much more deeply than most.

On the other hand, it would be humiliating to say thanks, we'll take your offering to the Taliban.

We want out of there. We don't want to do their job.

They're obviously flailing, and I don't care to rescue them from that.
Some people think that we should stay another 20 years and get another ~2,500 soldiers killed. Maybe in 20 years Afghanistan will prefer a Western-style Democracy to fundamentalist Shariah law Taliban style government. Rather than let these soldiers' deaths, and the other nearly 2,500 that have already died, be in vain, we should we should double down. I think you and I are on the same page there. We've thrown away enough lives and maimed and damaged far more than the fatality figure depicts.

I do concede the point that a lot of people don't think we have any choice but to be double downers. Getting out will just mean that in 5, 10, 20 years the Taliban will be harboring ISIS who will be sending suicide bombers into America. Another 2,500 dead soldiers and many times that maimed is just the price to be paid so we don't have another 9/11. They may be right. Or Trump might be right and it's just time to get out. We'll see in 5/10/20 years.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:44 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
I didn't call him an "easily led around tool". I voted for him, and am glad I did.

I don't think this was his decision. He seems to rely on his military leaders, and take their advice, and this would be exactly the kind of advice it would be wise to listen to the military about.
Links have been posted dozens of times over the past month showing he went against the advice of his military leaders.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:11 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
My Dad told me something once during the Iran situation but it was a general thing encompassing all of Ilsamamawackostan. He said that the best thing we could do in terms of ME/Persia anywhere theocratically Muslim as to policy would be to make sure every single Muslim of any sect is armed. A rifle and 1000 rounds of ammo, throw in grenades, man portable rockets explosives and initiator devices etc. Then Abdul Shalamalma Ding Dong, and Abu ali Acchmeda Boom Boom would kill each other. Inside a year the individual myriad of Islamic sects that hate each other even worse than they hate us would wipe each other out over major religious differences of supreme importance such as whether to say Allah or All Ah how many times a day to pray, what color rug to supplicate on etc.

There is absolutely zero reason we need involve ourselves in any affairs that have to do with Islamic interactions with each other. Much like if Crips and Bloods, MS 13 and Brown Pride, Hitler humpers and Black supremacist "militias' et al shoot each other to ant scraps. Is that a bad thing? Rhetorical question.

Really what could be better than munching hot wings and fries and tearing up some BBQ pork baby backs while watching Saudi Arabia and Iran go toe to toe over the sand dunes? I'm in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies