Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2021, 11:42 AM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I'm a trainer that does private work and work at one brick and mortar facility. That facility has given a Nov 1st deadline. I have told them they might want to stop sending clients my way as they are only going to be frustrated in November when I leave. Unfortunately they're desperate because the majority of trainers only want to do virtual work at this point.

This place has an attendant cleaning all day. They use that fogger airlines use prior to open, at closing, and they shut the place down in the middle of the day for a 30 minute period to clean. Everyone is required to wear masks. For some reason, they still think that is not enough and are mandating the vaccine.

Unlike the antagonistic posts and vitriol spewed on this forum, there is a mutual respect between us. They feel it's in their best interest to do this, and I'm happy to go my way and make a decision when, and if, I get the vaccine on my terms.

Will it impact their business? Absolutely. Apparently they feel their bottom line can handle it. It's a decision every business owner will need to make for themselves but I doubt many will see their income improve. And I'm in the fortunate position that I can walk away from it as my private business is thriving (I have actually improved my income and demand has gone up for my services).
I would do the exact same thing in your shoes.

Just put in a few applications and you'll get hired on the spot. It took me 2 hours to get hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 11:46 AM

2,335 posts, read 814,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I would do the exact same thing in your shoes.

Just put in a few applications and you'll get hired on the spot. It took me 2 hours to get hired.
As stated, I don't even need to do that. I have plenty of side business. Those spots will eventually get filled with other customers. It was a nice community and I enjoyed working there. It served a purpose when I was generating new business in the area when I moved here a little over 3 years ago.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:51 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
The more I read about this subject, the more I think that there is going to be a major confrontation. I really think that SCOTUS needs to issue a ruling about whether companies can fire people for not taking COVID "vaccines" when vaccinated people can infect others just as easily as those who are not vaccinated.

As has been said numerous times by others, if companies want to say that employees either take the vaccines or else they will be fired, using the excuse that it is in the interest of protecting their health in an effort to keep them from being hospitalized and/or dying, then why not issue the same mandates for people who smoke or are obese? (Lose weight/quit smoking or you will be fired.) Again, it would be different if the vaccines DID prevent someone from being infected or infecting others, but that is not the case.

Btw, my husband did work for a company who said that if anyone was even ticketed for a "DUI", that person would be "immediately" fired, and NO ONE had a problem with that because that policy was undoubtedly due to real safety concerns.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:04 PM

2,335 posts, read 814,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The more I read about this subject, the more I think that there is going to be a major confrontation. I really think that SCOTUS needs to issue a ruling about whether companies can fire people for not taking COVID "vaccines" when vaccinated people can infect others just as easily as those who are not vaccinated.

As has been said numerous times by others, if companies want to say that employees either take the vaccines or else they will be fired, using the excuse that it is in the interest of protecting their health in an effort to keep them from being hospitalized and/or dying, then why not issue the same mandates for people who smoke or are obese? (Lose weight/quit smoking or you will be fired.) Again, it would be different if the vaccines DID prevent someone from being infected or infecting others, but that is not the case.

Btw, my husband did work for a company who said that if anyone was even ticketed for a "DUI", that person would be "immediately" fired, and NO ONE had a problem with that because that policy was undoubtedly due to real safety concerns.
No doubt there will be a challenge at some point. I would think the main point of contention would be the lack of a modified work option (i.e. wearing a mask or WFH when viable). I think the main issue that makes this the most contentious is that those that are vaccinated can pass on the virus. It simply doesn't matter if they are less likely or if they are better protected. They can still pass it on. So without other protocols in play, someone still has the opportunity to contract the virus.

My wife works for a corporate office and they attempted to go back to work 2x a week in the beginning of July. 100% of the people in her building were vaccinated. What happened? On average, they had a minimum of 2 people infected per week. After 6 weeks of this, her entire team is back to WFH.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:56 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
2 leaders of the FDA are resigning because they refuse to submit to pressure by the Biden Administration to approve a booster that has not, yet, been adequately tested. They would literally rather resign than do the unethical things that the Biden administration is pressuring them to do.
They are arguing that the Biden Administration is now getting ahead of the research. That research being whether or not the general public needs the booster. Not whether the vaccines are safe. They don't appear to disagree about the immune compromised getting the boosters now.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:27 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
They are arguing that the Biden Administration is now getting ahead of the research. That research being whether or not the general public needs the booster. Not whether the vaccines are safe. They don't appear to disagree about the immune compromised getting the boosters now.
That research has been out for a while now and even presented to the ACIP back in July for booster approval.

They are all sitting on their arses at this point because several countries have already given out the booster for a month or two now.

The US is playing catchup to the research here as they initially denied we needed a booster when Pfizer and their data said otherwise.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:32 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
My wife works for a corporate office and they attempted to go back to work 2x a week in the beginning of July. 100% of the people in her building were vaccinated. What happened? On average, they had a minimum of 2 people infected per week. After 6 weeks of this, her entire team is back to WFH.
I can't for the life of me understand how it's possible that large organizations with lots of money haven't figured out full-time, permanent WFH by now. They've been doing it for a year and a half. There are employers out there that don't even have offices anymore, and they're not like 5-person startups.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:51 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That research has been out for a while now and even presented to the ACIP back in July for booster approval.

They are all sitting on their arses at this point because several countries have already given out the booster for a month or two now.

The US is playing catchup to the research here as they initially denied we needed a booster when Pfizer and their data said otherwise.
'Back in July', yeah. That is a sign of the rapidity where real time medical learning during the Pandemic has been so accelerated. I heard Fauci say today that the administration is simply making plans and preparations for the anticipated boosters arrival.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
My stepmom works in administration at a hospital in Oregon. At first the policy for unvaccinated was to get tested weekly at their own expense. But now, they have come out with a vaccine mandate or be terminated. She told me that last week there were 176 openings, and when the latest mandate came out, 7 in housekeeping quit.

I asked my sister, who used to work at a hospital and knows lots of nurses, can they hire traveling nurses? She said that a number of traveling nurses are refusing to go anywhere that vaccines are mandated.

You would think the medical industry would be on the ‘cutting edge’ of figuring this out without shooting themselves in the foot – but not so much, I guess. :-/ (ie utilize preventive meds, test for natural immunity, etc -- these hospital workers have been on the ‘frontlines’ for well over a year now – which is plenty of time to think this out for themselves - and those 'hold-outs' seem to have decided against vaccination)

At my work (State of CA) they are planning to rollout weekly testing near the end of Sept - for those not teleworking 100%, or coming to office any amount of time (which includes me - but I'm taking HCQ weekly, so I'm actually curious to be tested). Interesting times! And, I'll retire if they 'push me around' too much. Glad I have that option.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:06 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
My stepmom works in administration at a hospital in Oregon. At first the policy for unvaccinated was to get tested weekly at their own expense. But now, they have come out with a vaccine mandate or be terminated. She told me that last week there were 176 openings, and when the latest mandate came out, 7 in housekeeping quit.

I asked my sister, who used to work at a hospital and knows lots of nurses, can they hire traveling nurses? She said that a number of traveling nurses are refusing to go anywhere that vaccines are mandated.

You would think the medical industry would be on the ‘cutting edge’ of figuring this out without shooting themselves in the foot – but not so much, I guess. :-/ (ie utilize preventive meds, test for natural immunity, etc -- these hospital workers have been on the ‘frontlines’ for well over a year now – which is plenty of time to think this out for themselves - and those 'hold-outs' seem to have decided against vaccination)

At my work (State of CA) they are planning to rollout weekly testing near the end of Sept - for those not teleworking 100%, or coming to office any amount of time (which includes me - but I'm taking HCQ weekly, so I'm actually curious to be tested). Interesting times! And, I'll retire if they 'push me around' too much. Glad I have that option.
Somehow being severely understaffed due to losing staff over these mandates is "safer" for the patients?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies