Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 05:56 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times

Advertisements

Assumed this thread wouldn’t survive in the “green. Living” forum. Who manages all the fees and taxes collected under the title of “carbon tax” ?

https://www.c2es.org/content/carbon-tax-basics/

There doesn’t seem to be any lines of accounting or accountability regarding the collection, storage or spending of carbon taxes. It’s a fair question. Has GAO done an audit on the U.S.’s collection of carbon taxes? One idea is returning this directly to consumers! What a wonderful idea.

Last edited by johnsonkk; 10-22-2022 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 06:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
The LINK in the OP doesn’t mention Carbon Taxes at all.

Carbon Taxes are in effect in the EU and Canada, but not Nationside in the USA — YET!

Several bills have been introduced to impose a Carbon Tax in the USA.

RFF Carbon Pricing Bill TrackerCarbon Pricing Bills in the 116th and 117th Congress

Carbon Pricing Bill Congress Initial Tax Rate
Raise Wages, Cut Carbon Act Dan Lipinski and Francis Rooney
116th Congress $44 per metric ton ($2020)

America Wins Act John Larson and 4 cosponsors 116th Congress
$52 per Metric Ton

I expect it’s somewhere in these bills about exactly what Agency would collect the Tax & what they would with it.

Several States have introduced or passed a State Carbon Tax.

California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, have introduced carbon pricing schemes that cover emissions within their territory.
Jul 8, 2022

Old 10-22-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The LINK in the OP doesn’t mention Carbon Taxes at all.

Carbon Taxes are in effect in the EU and Canada, but not Nationside in the USA — YET!

Several bills have been introduced to impose a Carbon Tax in the USA.

RFF Carbon Pricing Bill TrackerCarbon Pricing Bills in the 116th and 117th Congress

Carbon Pricing Bill Congress Initial Tax Rate
Raise Wages, Cut Carbon Act Dan Lipinski and Francis Rooney
116th Congress $44 per metric ton ($2020)

America Wins Act John Larson and 4 cosponsors 116th Congress
$52 per Metric Ton

I expect it’s somewhere in these bills about exactly what Agency would collect the Tax & what they would with it.

Several States have introduced or passed a State Carbon Tax.

California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, have introduced carbon pricing schemes that cover emissions within their territory.
Jul 8, 2022
Thanks. Fixed link.

It will be interesting to see which state wins on being the first state to collect carbon taxes. Hawaii seems an odd choice since the only way to get there is flying. Sailing sure but using sails…. would take a while.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:46 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Probably the same people who fly around in private jets to vacation in one of their multimillion dollar homes and get paid to give speeches on global warming.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:02 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
The US pushed for it a few years back. Al Gore already had his software company ready and Goldman Sachs was on board to manage it.

When you tax "nothing" how do you know it's been reduced ?

And we all know that once money goes to the government it disappears.

Trading carbon credits is like trading NFT's...you are buying and selling make believe.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:35 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
A carbon tax could greatly reduce our CO2 emissions. If implemented correctly, many if not most consumers would actually come out ahead of the game. From the OP's link:

Point of Taxation *– A carbon tax can be levied at any point in the energy supply chain. The simplest approach, administratively, is to levy the tax “upstream,” where the fewest entities would be subject to it (for instance, suppliers of coal, natural gas processing facilities, and oil refineries).

~snip~

Tax and Escalation Rates *– Economic theory suggests a carbon tax should be set equal to the social cost of carbon, which is the present value of estimated environmental damages over time caused by an additional ton of carbon dioxide emitted today. The tax rate should also rise over time to reflect the growing damage expected from climate change. An increasing price over time also provides a signal to emitters that they will need to do more and that their investments in more aggressive technologies will be economically justified.

~snip~

Distributional Impacts *– Lower-income households spend a larger share of their income on energy than higher-income households. As a result, a price on carbon that increases energy costs can have a greater impact on lower-income individuals. Directing a certain percentage of revenue from a carbon tax toward low-income households to compensate for increased energy costs can help ensure that the tax does not disproportionately affect the poor.

~snip~

Revenues *– A carbon tax can raise significant revenue. How that revenue is used will ultimately be a political choice. Some or all of it could be returned to consumers in the form of a dividend.

I like this approach. Government intervention would be kept as low as possible, and players like Goldman Sachs would have to find other ways to game the system in its never ending quest for obscene profits. With extortionists like G S out of the way, there should be more than enough revenue to cover the cost of sending low income households an energy rebate.

Also, the last thing Americans want is more taxes. The so-called carbon tax should be paid by the entities which profit the most from the sales of its carbon based product. This means YOU BP. This means YOU Exxon. The revenues raised by this tax should be distributed to all LEGAL residents of the US.

Unfortunately, our Congress has become so dysfunctional and so heavily dependent on the lavish payments from corporate lobbyists that a relatively simple solution like the one outlined above is nearly impossible to achieve. However, if enough American voters became interested in solutions rather than partisan bickering, things might actually change for the better.

I know, I know - You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

Old 10-23-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
A carbon tax could greatly reduce our CO2 emissions. If implemented correctly, many if not most consumers would actually come out ahead of the game. From the OP's link:

Point of Taxation *– A carbon tax can be levied at any point in the energy supply chain. The simplest approach, administratively, is to levy the tax “upstream,” where the fewest entities would be subject to it (for instance, suppliers of coal, natural gas processing facilities, and oil refineries).

~snip~

Tax and Escalation Rates *– Economic theory suggests a carbon tax should be set equal to the social cost of carbon, which is the present value of estimated environmental damages over time caused by an additional ton of carbon dioxide emitted today. The tax rate should also rise over time to reflect the growing damage expected from climate change. An increasing price over time also provides a signal to emitters that they will need to do more and that their investments in more aggressive technologies will be economically justified.
~snip~

Revenues *– A carbon tax can raise significant revenue. How that revenue is used will ultimately be a political choice. Some or all of it could be returned to consumers in the form of a dividend.

I like this approach. Government intervention would be kept as low as possible, and players like Goldman Sachs would have to find other ways to game the system in its never ending quest for obscene profits. With extortionists like G S out of the way, there should be more than enough revenue to cover the cost of sending low income households an energy rebate.

Also, the last thing Americans want is more taxes. The so-called carbon tax should be paid by the entities which profit the most from the sales of its carbon based product. This means YOU BP. This means YOU Exxon. The revenues raised by this tax should be distributed to all LEGAL residents of the US.

Unfortunately, our Congress has become so dysfunctional and so heavily dependent on the lavish payments from corporate lobbyists that a relatively simple solution like the one outlined above is nearly impossible to achieve. However, if enough American voters became interested in solutions rather than partisan bickering, things might actually change for the better.

I know, I know - You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...
Based on your logic, we should create tariffs on all goods entering the U.S.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:30 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Oh LOL....Congress returning tax money to the population ????

Give Congress $1.00 and you MIGHT get back $.01
Just let me keep my $1.00 thank you.

Europe has been trading carbon credits for how long now ?
And they are no better off except for those that made bank on buying/selling them.

With this topic making some news, I'd wager Al Gore is dusting off his software company that is ready to be used for trading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies