Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 06:51 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
two pieces from the WaPo that came across my Twitter feed this afternoon:

'State Dept deserves more credit for successful evacuation'

'Biden's doing what Trump wanted, so why aren't more Trump supporters celebrating'
Well, they probably do deserve more credit. They've gotten a lot of people out and the state department is the state department. They work within their sphere and aren't the military. They just have to work with the reality of a military fiasco and do the best they can.

Second part, I'd agree. You have Trump's commitment to the Taliban to withdraw by March 1st if the Taliban temporarily ceases seizing territory. Taliban for the most part kept to their end of the bargain, although definitely not entirely, and Biden mostly kept to Trump's end of the bargain although August 31st instead of March 1st withdrawal date. There's execution which makes perfect sense to be critical of and then there's following through on Trump's commitment. Doesn't make much sense to me that Trump's supporters are as upset about following through on Trump's commitment now given that aside from a few critics most of them were for it a year ago. Those are really two distinct issues as much as both sides like to conflate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 06:53 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, they probably do deserve more credit. They've gotten a lot of people out and the state department is the state department. They work within their sphere and aren't the military. They just have to work with the reality of a military fiasco and do the best they can.

Second part, I'd agree. You have Trump's commitment to the Taliban to withdraw by March 1st if the Taliban temporarily ceases seizing territory. Taliban for the most part kept to their end of the bargain, although definitely not entirely, and Biden mostly kept to Trump's end of the bargain although August 31st instead of March 1st withdrawal date. There's execution which makes perfect sense to be critical of and then there's following through on Trump's commitment. Doesn't make much sense to me that Trump's supporters are as upset about following through on Trump's commitment now given that aside from a few critics most of them were for it a year ago. Those are really two distinct issues as much as both sides like to conflate them.
Trump supporters are not.
How it was done is the issue, the only issue.

The State Department also does play a part in this.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 08-30-2021 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-30-2021, 06:56 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I think something flying under the radar is how angry people are about the vaccine mandate.

I mean a lot of people are rabidly angry but even if you aren't effected you are very concerned about anyone doing that.

Also I think a lot of liberals (Bill Maher one of them) are angry that the vaccine isn't working and Biden seems unwilling or incapable of admitting it and dealing with it.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:09 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Strategy and policy are two separate issues and there's been an uptick in complaints about policy. It's a fair point. Given that there was very little criticism of Trump's policy of negotiating terms of surrender with the Taliban then, why is there more now?

Strategy for sure that's gone sideways. But the strategy going sideways doesn't mean Trump's policy was a bad one. I'm not exactly thrilled about the way Trump went about it myself, but ultimately I'm a pragmatist. As distasteful as it may be to have sat down with the Taliban and negotiate terms of surrender with them, I think that's been an overall positive thus far. The Taliban didn't entirely follow through on their end and we didn't entirely follow through on our end of being out by March 1st. But they did reduce hostilities and we are withdrawing even if it's later than Trump committed to. All that I'm definitely in favor of. My hesitancy is more in the will the "new" Taliban really stick to its sandbox. I remain unconvinced there.

Left does like to conflate and pretend that criticism of strategy (how the withdrawal was executed) is a criticism of policy (Trump's negotiated surrender and withdrawal). Those aren't the same thing. Some people do recognize that, other people like to conflate.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:13 PM

162 posts, read 60,467 times
The impeachment paperwork would have already been filed if it was Trump doing these things. The double standard, while not surprising, is just more and more jaw dropping.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:14 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Make way for president Kamala.
How would this happen exactly. Biden steps down for "Health reasons"?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
If the media is turning on him, this is all being orchestrated.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:16 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
The impeachment paperwork would have already been filed if it was Trump doing these things. The double standard, while not surprising, is just more and more jaw dropping.
Bungling the end of a 20 year war hardly is the same as letting in a lethal Communist Bat flu on purpose

Old 08-30-2021, 07:16 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I agree but if Biden makes it through this he'll sail thru the next three years..

Old 08-30-2021, 07:17 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I agree but if Biden makes it through this he'll sail thru the next three years..
You don't think more blunders will come down like an avalanche from Mount Dementia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies