Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 11:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
OK, we get it. It is fine if you don't believe in off label medicine use, you don't have to. Some people are super careful like that. But if science worked that way we would be way behind.

I was once prescribed a medication normally used for advanced cancer and AIDS. The pharmacist gave me the side eye, guess I didn't look like like I was dying of AIDS. The med did help me with a temporary problem, and was WAY off label for my case.

But should you get ill you can tell your doctor you will take no medications used off label for any reason because the studies are not there to your satisfaction.
I'm not saying you shouldn't use something off-label, just believing random people about something off-label. If you are sick, seek medical attention. If you fear COVID talk to your doctor to see what they say. If they say use Ivermectin, use it to what they prescribed and do not take the horse or cattle formulations. Don't doctor yourself if you are sick with something that isn't one of your usual sicknesses.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't use something off-label, just believing random people about something off-label. If you are sick, seek medical attention. If you fear COVID talk to your doctor to see what they say. If they say use Ivermectin, use it to what they prescribed and do not take the horse or cattle formulations. Don't doctor yourself if you are sick with something that isn't one of your usual sicknesses.
OMG

Just stop believing that any significant number of people are using OTC livestock meds. Just stop believing that. It's not true. It's propaganda. A handful of examples are found and then blown up to 1000x their actual significance, given 24hr media coverage and you absorb that and think it's representative of the larger group. Just stop believing it. Geez. What does it take for people to start thinking for themselves? Is that even possible? Sometimes I wonder.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:11 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ontrol-centers

Quote:
Poison control centers are seeing a dramatic surge in calls from people who are self-medicating with ivermectin, an anti-parasite drug for animals that some falsely claim treats COVID-19.

According to the National Poison Data System (NPDS), which collects information from the nation's 55 poison control centers, there was a 245% jump in reported exposure cases from July to August — from 133 to 459.

Meanwhile, emergency rooms across the country are treating more patients who have taken the drug, after being persuaded by false and misleading information spread on the internet, by talk show hosts and by political leaders. Most patients are overdosing on a version of the drug that is formulated to treat parasites in cows and horses.

The troubling trend has been on the rise since the start of 2021 — despite warnings from state health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention against taking ivermectin. The NPDS says 1,143 ivermectin exposure cases were reported between Jan. 1 and Aug. 31. That marks an increase of 163% over the same period last year.

Ivermectin was discovered in 1975 and is approved for use in humans to treat infections caused by some parasitic worms, head lice and skin conditions such as rosacea. When taken in appropriate, prescribed doses, it can be highly effective and is included in the World Health Organization's list of essential medicines.
For the MILLIONTH TIME-- it's not that Ivermectin is a medically useless drug, or one that ONLY is intended for animals. It's the fact that people are deliberating taking excessive amounts, the kinds specifically used to deworm horses, and it's not only causing them to overdose and need emergency medical care, but it's not preventing COVID in the first place. There's an ocean of difference between going to see a doctor and having one prescribe you a dose that's likely to cause little harm (because it doesn't actually anything to kill COVID), and people heading off to their local feedlot and eyeballing a dose for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies