Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 01:10 PM

72,972 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
More on 'Just War Theory & Doctrine' as it relates to the American Civil War here:

The American Civil War: Total or Just?

https://teachinghistory.org/history-...istorian/25245
The United Daughters of the Confederacy, the neo-Confederate propaganda machine, also endorsed the Ku Klux Klan.

https://www.facingsouth.org/2018/06/...-memorial-klan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Why would you think libs believe they would be destroyed?

They will go into storage or in museums.

We don’t want to see them on Monument.

I can’t wait to go back to Richmond and see that Lee and his friends are gone.
For me, taking down the statue of Robert E. Lee is a recognition that General Lee doesn't deserve to be lauded or given any accolades, at least not in statue form. He is not worthy of such. Considering that the Confederate cause is about, and what it represents, Robert E. Lee should never have statues of his likeness. He should never have schools named after him. He should be remembered. He needs to be remembered. However, he should not be celebrated.

I would not mind seeing Confederate statues get put into museums. It could be part of an exhibit. It could be shown as "these were the people we used to laud and admire. We don't hold Confederate generals in high esteem anymore. We're changing for the better".

Old 09-04-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In what way will this help Black Americans?
Well, this is how it will help me. Where I lived, a Confederate statue was taken down. It made me a bit prouder to live there. It showed me "they don't have admirations for Confederates here". Why would I want to live in a community where there are a bunch of Confederate monuments everywhere? All I would get out of it is the message of "we admire those who fought for the Confederate cause". And the Confederate cause is something that would be squarely against me as a Black person in America.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
What I am getting at is I am against this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzMaHXQ4ADs

And don't have problems with local black populace going through proper channels to get confederate statues removed.
I can respect your position. I merely posed the question because the issue of Confederate flags and Confederate monuments, it's very polarized. It's especially polarizing along racial lines. The majority of Black Americans live in the South, and therefore, are southerners. And yet, Black Americans are the most likely to be in favor of taking down Confederate monuments. It makes one wonder about this. Whose heritage are we talking about? I don't see many Black people claiming the Confederacy as part of their southern heritage. And few people ever consider why this is.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So, resorting to violence and war because you are upset about taxation without representation is justified?

How can violence be justified for one cause and not another?

I wonder how the families of all the british redcoats killed felt about that? It probably looked a lot like domestic terrorism to them at the time.
The American Revolution's cause is far different from the Confederacy's cause. Do not try that false equivalency stuff. Neither were based around the same principles. The Confederates were about making sure slavery stayed intact.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What a magnificent statue. I hate to see anything like that taken down because it is History and part of our heritage.
It's not magnificent to me. I hate it. It isn't part of MY heritage. That statue represents those who fought to ensure Black people stayed enslaved. It's not a part of my heritage. In fact, I don't see any Black people claiming it as part of their heritage.

Quote:
To the knee jerkers that only see it as a symbol of oppression they should instead see the statue as a triumph as to how far we have all come since those dark days. There is a lesson there for everyone.
That statue coming down is a sign of how far we've come. That statue does not represent how far we come. Do not try that with. It represents adulation and admiration for those who fought for the Confederate cause, period. That gaslighting will not work on me.

Quote:
To the deeper thinkers the statues should serve as a reminder as to just how fragile America can be. The Civil War was a terrible time and the future of the country hung in the balance and this cannot be forgotten.
Honoring those who would lay siege to America just so they could keep slavery, that tells me where some people's values are at. And they aren't my values.

Quote:
Oh well, another one bites the dust and America takes another step towards ignorance.
Call me ignorant all you want. My own research shows me what the Confederate cause was about.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You may say that but a vast majority of people involved in the tearing down of confederate (and other American statues) also support a cast array of far left causes. You personally may say you do not but as a generalization it is true that those who support this kind of thing are indeed followers of the far left. Lenin, Marx, Che, Mao......these guys are all leftist heroes. There are many who support tearing down Confederate statues who would be ok with a statue of Marx or Che.
Most Black people are in favor of those statues coming down. Most of them do not see Lenin, Mao, or Che as heroes. That might be the case for White radical far leftists. However, for Black people like me, alot of us want those Confederate statues to come down because of what they represent to people like me. To me, those Confederate statues represent Confederate values. They represents the fight to maintain white supremacy. They represent the fight to keep slavery, to keep Blacks enslaved. They represent a backwards looking time where Blacks were expected to "know their place", the Jim Crow era. Those statues are the handiwork of the UDC and its Neo-Confederate propaganda machine.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:23 PM

Confederate statues are not what I would call participation trophies. To me, those are propaganda statues. They promote the Lost Cause of the Confederacy. It promotes a propaganda that shouldn't be part of American values at all.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:51 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Confederate statues are not what I would call participation trophies. To me, those are propaganda statues. They promote the Lost Cause of the Confederacy. It promotes a propaganda that shouldn't be part of American values at all.
I never understood why people would erect statues to a bunch of Losers.
What tripped me out was seeing a Confederate monument in my city of Miami and schools being named after Confederate Generals when the city didn't even exist during the Civil War!
It was founded 31 years later.

Old 09-04-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I never understood why people would erect statues to a bunch of Losers.
What tripped me out was seeing a Confederate monument in my city of Miami and schools being named after Confederate Generals when the city didn't even exist during the Civil War!
It was founded 31 years later.
Miami might not be like the rest of the South. Miami today might be very Caribbean/Latin American in flavor. Miami might have not been founded until 31 years after. It might currently have far more in common with Cartagena, Colombia than with Savannah, GA. Just the same, it is still located in a former Confederate, former Jim Crow state. It was still a Jim Crow city up to the 1950s.The police chief of Miami during the 1920s-1940s , H.L. Quigg, was a member of the KKK. He beat a Black boy to death for "insulting a White woman".

It doesn't seem understandable. And I get where you're coming from. Most of Miami's current population doesn't even have roots in the Old South (other than its African-American population). At the same time, when you look at what Florida as a whole was during Reconstruction through the 1950s, it isn't as surprising as one may think. What is very surprising is why Confederate monuments were popping up in Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Iowa of all places. I'm willing to bet the UDC did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies