Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 12:34 PM

13,447 posts, read 4,289,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I've literally posted quotes on here from confederate leaders stating that slavery was the direct reason they went to war. And people still want it to be for stuff like "states rights". It's amazing seeing people completely misrepresent the words of the group they glorify.
I'm not glorifying excrement. I wasn't alive back then, I didn't have power back then and I didn't own slaves back them. Just telling you FACTS of history that are not black and white like they taught you.

If slavery was declared LEGAL by the Supreme Court before the Civil War. The Federal government couldn't force any state to stop it or send troops to kill them to stop it, which is a violation of the constitution itself.

If abortion is LEGAL and supported by the Supreme Court, a President can't send troops to states to stop it because that would be a violation of the law itself. It doesn't matter what the states put in their constitutions. The S.C. has the final word.

It doesn't matter what some people in the South thought of slavery or what they printed. What matters is that it was supported by the S.C. with a solid vote. So Lincoln or the North couldn't do anything about it even if they wanted to during peacetime or constitutionally (they didn't before the war). Everything Lincoln did during war was war tactics that he could never do during peace time.

I only glorify the FACTS and the TRUTH. If you don't, history isn't for you.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:42 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I'm not glorifying excrement. I wasn't alive back then, I didn't have power back then and I didn't own slaves back them. Just telling you FACTS of history that are not black and white like they taught you.

If slavery was declared LEGAL by the Supreme Court before the Civil War. The Federal government couldn't force any state to stop it or send troops to kill them to stop it, which is a violation of the constitution itself.

If abortion is LEGAL and supported by the Supreme Court, a President can't send troops to states to stop it because that would be a violation of the law itself. It doesn't matter what the states put in their constitutions. The S.C. has the final word.

It doesn't matter what some people in the South thought of slavery or what they printed. What matters is that it was supported by the S.C. with a solid vote. So Lincoln or the North couldn't do anything about it even if they wanted to during peacetime or constitutionally (they didn't before the war). Everything Lincoln did during war was war tactics that he could never do during peace time.

I only glorify the FACTS and the TRUTH. If you don't, history isn't for you.
miss me with the goofy splaining crap. Slavery was wrong regardless of legality. And you strawmanning about stuff i never said. Anyways, you sound like the type of person that would own a slave if it was legal if the supreme court said it was okay. Yall tell on yourselves on here way too much.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
thank you. it's common knowledge that slave-owners got "reparations". This country is silly and backwards for doing that. On top of slavery, the slaves didn't get reparations, or rights, but the slave owners got paid. then on top of that, the country just left the former slave population to fend for themselves.

this thread is another one where people show their lack of knowledge and context. And people want black history to start at 1970 like i always said.
In 1863, the country was in a WAR. If you can pay off a small % of money to win the war and end it, you do it. It was a war tactic by Lincoln. Larry Elder is right. It's a lot better than blowing people up and destroying towns and economies in endless wars.

Countries fight wars because of economy and control of it (money) not for feelings.

If the federal government is going to end part of the economy that they themselves declared LEGAL a few years back, then they have to pay up. Just when the government closed down part of the economy during Corona. They paid up.

If Colorado wakes up and declares pot ILLEGAL after making it legal, shouldn't they pay some % of the business people that will lose money making pot illegal while they move to other investments approved by the government?

Old 09-06-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
miss me with the goofy splaining crap. Slavery was wrong regardless of legality. And you strawmanning about stuff i never said. Anyways, you sound like the type of person that would own a slave if it was legal if the supreme court said it was okay. Yall tell on yourselves on here way too much.
Yes, light a candle. You "morality" is amusing. Killing is wrong, how many wars we had in human history that you benefit right now? Are you lighting a candle for every person killed in history? do you cry during history class or get really mad?

Nah, why buy the cow when the milk is free.

Now you are mad at me for something the SC declared in 1857. Yeah, if I don't get mad or cry with your morality complex and guilt issues then it's my fault. I'm one of them. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:59 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
So they just took a very productive tropical island. And stripped it of trees. And did not want to work so became non productive.

Then becomes a poor country with not trees. So stripes the land and no protection from hurricanes.

Seems to be a habit of taking and not giving back anything with some. Then just move on to the next area if they can. Any example where things have actually improved?

Maybe I am missing something.
The part where it took Haitians 6 generations to pay reparations to the French slave owners?

Old 09-06-2021, 02:01 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Yes, light a candle. You "morality" is amusing. Killing is wrong, how many wars we had in human history that you benefit right now? Are you lighting a candle for every person killed in history? do you cry during history class or get really mad?

Nah, why buy the cow when the milk is free.

Now you are mad at me for something the SC declared in 1857. Yeah, if I don't get mad or cry with your morality complex and guilt issues then it's my fault. I'm one of them. Thanks for the laugh.
just say you'd own slaves if it was legal in 2021. You don't have to do all the theatrics. I can't believe someone thinks I'm virtue signaling by saying slavery is wrong regardless of legality. LMAO...these are the people that had to be dragged to the right side of history via a war.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:26 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
You need 2/3 to amend the constitution. You need a Super Majority to appoint S.C. justices. How was the North doing that by themselves without 1 vote from the South and overturned a 7-2 Supreme Court that was solid?

It doesn't matter what the states put in their state constitutions. They could put that slavery was the bomb and blessed by God and pink flowers and butterflies are the best. The U.S. Supreme Court, the law of the land declared it legally with a solid vote of 7-2 and Lincoln as a lawyer accepted it and went along with it. He went so much along with it that the North passed easily the Corwin Amendment. It passed by the North by a Super Majority and Lincoln taking oath supported it. The problem was the South didn't want to return and went SOLO. Lincoln said many times his reasons for war and slavery was not it. It couldn't be since the Supreme Court declared it legal and Lincoln and the North passed the Corwin Amendment on their own to cement slavery in the constitution as long that the South return and leave independence alone.

If abortion is legal and cemented by the Supreme Court, the federal government can't send troops to the states to stop it. States can put it in their state constitutions, it doesn't matter what they put what matters is what the S.C. declares. Lincoln was in the same scenario. His reason was to keep the Union and ending slavery in just the rebellious states was a WAR TACTIC during the war to destroy their economy and force them back.

The rest is your wishful thinking of what you wanted history to go. Lincoln wanted to send blacks back to Africa because they weren't compatible with the U.S. So wishing Lincoln was going to end slavery during peacetime and constitutionally after the facts is really creating a myth. Slavery would have ended decades later but Lincoln's main reason was to keep the Union at all cost. Slavery was a bargaining chip that later became a war tactic during the war.

Sorry, the history sucks in the public schools.
It is extremely ignorant to think that the USSC settled slavery. It shows that you have no grasp of antebellum politics, how the country functions, or the 1860 election.

True or false, Declarations of Secession and Secession Conventions make it abundantly clear that secession was primarily about preserving the institution of slavery.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
just say you'd own slaves if it was legal in 2021. You don't have to do all the theatrics. I can't believe someone thinks I'm virtue signaling by saying slavery is wrong regardless of legality. LMAO...these are the people that had to be dragged to the right side of history via a war.
I said: "Why buy the cow when the milk is free" you can't comprehend? I would never own slaves because I don't like managing people or the drama or babysit. I wouldn't own you if they gave you for free with 2 mules.

You have a problem with slavery centuries ago but have NO problem with killings and wars. LMAO! Some kind of morality, thanks for the laugh, again.

Once again, the war wasn't fought to stop slavery or to be "dragged" at gun point to the right side of history. This is U.S. History, it has nothing about "morals". Keep believing the B.S. and come here judging others. You have a problem with slavery in the 1800's but no problems with killings, rapes, looting and burning during wars. Thanks for your selective morality.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is extremely ignorant to think that the USSC settled slavery. It shows that you have no grasp of antebellum politics, how the country functions, or the 1860 election.

True or false, Declarations of Secession and Secession Conventions make it abundantly clear that secession was primarily about preserving the institution of slavery.

So a 7-2 Supreme Court decision about slavery isn't settled law? So Lincoln ran and won just in the North in 1860 to overturn the 7-2 court decision? yeah,that's why he and the North supported the Corwin Amendment of 1861, 2 months after he took the oath, to overturn the Supreme Court? Talk about extreme ignorant and a fool.

True or false, the Corwin Amendment passed by the North and supported by Lincoln as President made it abundantly clear that they wanted to preserved the institution of slavery as long that the South return to the Union and voted on the amendment which would have pass easily since the North voted on it and needed the South to pass it? True or false?

Quote:
No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.
That was the amendment passed by the North and supported by Lincoln in 1861. The people in power in the North. All the South had to do was return and have their cake and eat it and the South refused to return. Lincoln used slavery as a bargaining chip to make the South return. When the South refused and war broke out, Lincoln abolished slavery (illegal acts) as a War tactic and forced them back in the Union. Those are the facts. So before you call people extreme ignorant, I suggest you take real American history and the real reasons our government goes to wars and it has to do about land, resources and control of the economy not your feelings or what ought to be right. Our Country makes parking lots out of other countries and leave many women widows right now. Nothing about morality here.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:19 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
So a 7-2 Supreme Court decision about slavery isn't settled law? So Lincoln ran and won just in the North in 1860 to overturn the 7-2 court decision? yeah,that's why he and the North supported the Corwin Amendment of 1861, 2 months after he took the oath, to overturn the Supreme Court? Talk about extreme ignorant and a fool.

True or false, the Corwin Amendment passed by the North and supported by Lincoln as President made it abundantly clear that they wanted to preserved the institution of slavery as long that the South return to the Union and voted on the amendment which would have pass easily since the North voted on it and needed the South to pass it? True or false?

That was the amendment passed by the North and supported by Lincoln in 1861. The people in power in the North. All the South had to do was return and have their cake and eat it and the South refused to return. Lincoln used slavery as a bargaining chip to make the South return. When the South refused and war broke out, Lincoln abolished slavery (illegal acts) as a War tactic and forced them back in the Union. Those are the facts. So before you call people extreme ignorant, I suggest you take real American history and the real reasons our government goes to wars and it has to do about land, resources and control of the economy not your feelings or what ought to be right. Our Country makes parking lots out of other countries and leave many women widows right now. Nothing about morality here.
All BS and low IQ logic.

Let's take 1 issue at a time and go through it super slowly for you.

Did southern newspapers in 1860-1861 and Southern Secession Conventions portray Lincoln as a threat to slavery's existence despite things like the 1857 Dred Scott ruling and Corwin Amendment?

A simple yes answer will suffice, because I can then teach you why these fears were legitimate by showing how things work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies