Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 09:22 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
What you have described is called an echo chamber and both parties are equally guilty of having and maintaining them. Echo chambers are incredibly dangerous (for hopefully obvious reasons...) but there's no real way to counter them when the people at the top have no problem with allowing them to become such and flourish off the members' (often incorrect) sense of self righteousness. These exist on the left, and they absolutely exist on the right...one could easily argue that a not small number of threads on C-D's Politics board are prime examples of right-wing echo chambers, easily spotted by the clearly derisive tone of the conservative posters against anything that doesn't feed their own confirmation bias.

Regardless, the incredible political polarization of literally everything in America will be the downfall of this country. If we cannot work together as a single entity and set our differences aside then we might as well hand this country over to someone else.
There is no knowledge in an Echo Chamber and it matter NOT what kind of Echo Chamber.
Same stuff bouncing around and gets more silly as it’s just echoing.
I see no end to the extreme polarization and at some point it will implode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I was a member of both a very conservative forum and a very liberal forum. It was 2014-15. Great fun to read.

I noticed intolerance on both forums. Frequent bannings of members who merely asked for clarification or additional information on a topic.

I will say the members on the conservative site seemed happier with life in general.

Both sites were useful in finding out what issues were trending and then I'd go off and do my own research.
I think these Echo Chambers all have the same goal (Left & Right] - they want to think for us and keep us from actually doing any Research. It’s the same for Media ….the public has gotten to lazy to attempt to think for themselves. Echo Chambers are nice and cozy.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:22 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Your experience is not near what mine is. I see the left question their own far more than extreme right wing forums. Send me a private message with the name of the specific board. I'd like to read that forum myself to see what you're talking about.

I would say, however, that what you described is 100% how extreme right wing forums I visit act. Sorry, but I'm going to doubt this story until I see that forum for myself.

i am a life long liberal who does not agree with a lot of the younger liberal sect...my fondest wish is that

people would actually use the tools of the internet to educate themselves on issues, both of our political party's twist facts and leave out information..

it is my position that both party's kow-tow to big money?power interests

impress education of topics over winning or losing an internet argument by all means

Old 09-04-2021, 09:24 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I wouldn't. Whiskey doesn't smell like burning ****. And alcoholics do not blow carcinogens into the air.
Maybe not from their mouths....

Old 09-04-2021, 09:32 AM

25,731 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe not from their mouths....
Ha. Yeah, okay. But still...

Old 09-04-2021, 09:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
I like liberals, classic liberals that is. Most liberals today don't know the difference.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:37 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Just saying, as a libertarian, this is how I view both sides.

It's easy to criticize both sides when you sit on a high horse and refuse to go anywhere.

And I say that as someone who's pretty much in agreement with 80% of Libertarian ideology.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:44 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's kinda the posters whole point. Far right and Far left echo chambers are just populated by far right and far left who are notoriously unable to spot it themselves.

The idea that far right forums exist and act that way but far left cannot (or vice versa) is just complete silliness and likely because the viewers own bias rendering them blind to it.
It is the same on both sides. As a liberal I've been on a conservative site for much longer than here, which IMO is much more balanced. As a liberal I would never participate on a liberal forum. Because I already know those answers and need no confirmation or acceptance bias. That is the reason I am on a conservative site. To show them their outright stupidity and/or cognitive dissonance. i.e. How they have become useful idiots.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:48 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Since the Pandemic and resultant ousting of Trump?
Yes. Although I'm no longer active on either, I still stop by and read.

While some of the conservatives are angry about the government response to the pandemic, they talk about they need to do to make the changes they want to see. And still share good things from their lives.

On the liberal site, I see more complaints and what someone else needs to do. And, oddly, many seem happiest when they observe misery or misfortune in others.

Last edited by branDcalf; 09-04-2021 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-04-2021, 10:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
Sorry, but you effectively just called me a liar (you doubt my story), and I'm not going to oblige. But the very fact that you think it difficult to believe that a liberal forum would delete and ban conservative posters - and that this is only what you'd find from right-wing forums - actually reveals the very superior mindset that those on liberal forums have.

(Plus, I don't want to violate any Terms of Service here by providing info to a different forum.)
Send it via a PM, don't post it here. I'm not asking you to violate the TOS. I am absolutely not calling you a liar, I apologize if it came across that way. I am saying I don't believe what's said at face value, though. I spend a lot of time on liberal forums as well as this one, and what you're saying is inconsistent with what I've seen. I'd like to read it for myself.

I am curious about what I quoted below as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Sooo, this statement got me thinking - the thread you're referencing was made this morning @ 9:56 am est.

This thread response you made this morning @ 10:10 am est is after spending a week on a liberal forum to counter it

Or you just making some stuff up?

*edit* I'm not saying there isn't some truth to both threads, but one is seemingly significantly more honest

Old 09-04-2021, 10:10 AM

10,454 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's easy to criticize both sides when you sit on a high horse and refuse to go anywhere.

And I say that as someone who's pretty much in agreement with 80% of Libertarian ideology.
Nothing to do with a high horse, I just know that both extremes are the problems with this world and we will never have world peace with these two extremes in power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies