Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 08:08 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The rest of the world has national healthcare from birth to death and they are not insolvent. Somehow if we start at age 60 we'd be insolvent. The problem is not the Democrats, the problem is our system is completely and utterly broken. We have the worst health system in the developed world.
I generally support expanding Medicare to 60 year olds but the reason other countries aren't insolvent is they benefit from drug development subsidized by US insurers and consumers, and they also limit supply through waiting lists. The US has 12,000 MRI machines, Canada has 300. Canadians also had to wait four months to to get their 2nd COVID shots, not 3-4 weeks like we did.

The US has been responsible for nearly every major medical advancement in the last 40 years - recombinant DNA, CRISPR, mRNA COVID vaccines, etc. To say we have the worst health system shows some ignorance, because the rest of the developed world would be effed without our advancements.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:08 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
The rest of the world has national healthcare from birth to death and they are not insolvent. Somehow if we start at age 60 we'd be insolvent. The problem is not the Democrats, the problem is our system is completely and utterly broken. We have the worst health system in the developed world.

But no, Democrats, who are trying to fix it, is the problem.

Most of those countries don't waste money sending their military traipsing around the globe acting as the world's police force, either. The US needs to start minding its own damn business and pour our taxpayer dollars into DOMESTIC pursuits. For a country that is supposedly the "best" the only thing we've been a bonafide #1 in for the last few decades is being a military buttinski.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:14 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I generally support expanding Medicare to 60 year olds but the reason other countries aren't insolvent is they benefit from drug development subsidized by US insurers and consumers, and they also limit supply through waiting lists. The US has 12,000 MRI machines, Canada has 300. Canadians also had to wait four months to to get their 2nd COVID shots, not 3-4 weeks like we did.

The US has been responsible for nearly every major medical advancement in the last 40 years - recombinant DNA, CRISPR, mRNA COVID vaccines, etc. To say we have the worst health system shows some ignorance, because the rest of the developed world would be effed without our advancements.
This is the catch 22 most people don't understand... the rest of the world gets a trickle down effect from the excessive money we spend on health care. I'm not sure how to deal with this issue so we can provide affordable health care to people in this country, but I'll try repping you for this post. Preventive medicine would be best... maintain the body so you can prevent problems before they occur instead of spending 100 times as much fixing them after they happen. Reduce reliance on overprescribed drugs also.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Obamacare is subject to be repealed if the Republicans control the House, Senate and Presidency in the future. They were 1 vote away from repealing ACA a few years back and they had no replacement for it. They'll do it again if they get a chance and perhaps they'll have that extra vote next time. .
And they can kiss getting reelected goodbye if they do something so stupid.

I've worked for the NY Marketplace for over 2 years now, and COVID would be a much bigger disaster if people in NYS did not have the ACA Marketplace as a means to purchase insurance. NYSOH in NYS has made so many policy changes as far as getting people insured and KEEPING them insured, including auto-extending coverage for people in the low-cost insurance programs whose coverage is up for renewal. Our Open Enrollment period for qualified health plan enrollments was extended all the way to the end of the year. All plans, regardless of program, covered COVID testing for free.

Oh, yeah, and if you work in a NYSOH call center, as I do, you are also considered to be an "essential" worker who has the choice to work from home. It's not a bad gig, definitely better than being on UIB and not being able to pay the rent.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:27 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:

But no, Democrats, who are trying to fix it, is the problem.

And they also have high personal taxes to pay for it.
That part is never discussed though as if it were magic and the money fairy pays for it.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:29 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
The Democrats need to fix THEIR Obamcare before they go and muddle with medicare.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:31 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I haven't supported most of the proposals the Democrats have put forward but this one I do, although with a revision. I would have Medicare at 60-65 be a buy-in option to cover the additional cost of those who elect to take it to try to make it budget neutral. I have a personal stake in this because I want to retire early and could actually afford to do so now but we are waiting a few more years until my husband turns 65 so that we only need to buy a marketplace plan for one of us. I know a number of people in a similar position that continue working just for the medical benefits. If a bunch of these people retire early that should theoretically open up more upper level jobs for folks underneath to move up to, and get more money out of savings accounts and into the economy as the early retirees draw down on their retirement funds . (Please note I am not saying saving is bad - it is necessary and good - but once someone has saved enough for the purpose of retiring it's also good to get those funds back into the economy)
What you are describing is a benefit for the wealthy that would no doubt be financed on the backs of the poor and the people that have paid into the system their entire lives.

No thanks.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Yes it will be.

Insurers do not want the 60-65 age group. Just check out the cost of premiums for the group.
ACA premiums, at least in MY state, aren't set according to the age of the person purchasing the plan. A 60 year old purchasing a certain plan from a certain tier will pay the same premium as a 20-something purchasing that same plan (assuming neither one is receiving a tax credit subsidy).

Old 09-05-2021, 08:40 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Democrats are actively trying to break the US. want medicare to start at 60 years old

The inclusion of younger people in the pool will strengthen the system.

I think the US Medicare system could be a model for National Health Care. People younger than 65 could pay the premiums for Part A which can be relieved at 65.

There are also the Medicare "Advantage" plans (a misnomer) which are run by private insurance companies. If we keep that for younger people those plans would be strengthened as well.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And they also have high personal taxes to pay for it.
That part is never discussed though as if it were magic and the money fairy pays for it.
At least they GET something back for all the taxes they pay!! Their taxpayer dollars are spent to improve the lives of the POPULACE, not wasted on pointless, unwinnable wars (like Vietnam and the 20-year saga in Afghanistan), or on so-called "humanitarian" efforts with no hope of pay back. I'm an American, I want my tax dollars spent strictly on ways to improve the lives of my fellow Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies