Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:10 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Wow...pretty pathetic that we are being forced, practically at gunpoint to get something that "improves your odds".
how do you define "forced practically at gunpoint " ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 09:13 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Fully Vaccinated 35-Year-Old Dies of COVID While Waiting for Last-Ditch Treatment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fully-...rj-mK0vDwK_BJ8

Those vaccines really "work"
Three facts for you:
1. Sterilizing immunity is the only kind of immunity that guarantees never getting sick.
2. COVID 19 vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity; rather, they reduce the chances of getting sick and the chances of getting serious illness and disease, potentially up to 95%.
3. 95% is less than 100%.

Repeat those 3 facts to yourself until you understand. I suggest you focus on #3.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:14 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
She was fat and sick before she got covid, and she died. You can't blame the vaccine. A 26 year old man died here from covid and was vaccinated, but I knew him. He weighed 400 lbs, had diabetes and uncontrolled high blood pressure. He was extremely sick before he got the virus.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:16 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Three facts for you:
1. Sterilizing immunity is the only kind of immunity that guarantees never getting sick.
2. COVID 19 vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity; rather, they reduce the chances of getting sick and the chances of getting serious illness and disease, potentially up to 95%.
3. 95% is less than 100%.

Repeat those 3 facts to yourself until you understand. I suggest you focus on #3.
Many people have covid twice, There is no immunity.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:18 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Probably the vast majority.... just like is true for the vast majority of the unvaccinated. I am not anti-vaxx, matter of fact I think everyone who can take the vaccine should do it to increase their odds of surviving. I wish I could take it, as I have some concerning co-morbidities, but can’t for medical reasons.

But, we must stop vilifying people. In our local hospital 37% of the hospitalized are fully vaccinated. Everyone I personally know who has recently gotten Covid was fully vaccinated. We are being fed a very polarizing narrative.
Whilst I can only surmise the point of this thread, IMHO it was started by someone who wanted to vilify the vaccine. "Look - she was vaccinated and still died. What's the point of the vaccine?"

Yes, we must stop vilifying people. But that includes not highlighting every shortcoming of the vaccine. Must we see every newspaper post about vaccinated people who die? People who support the vaccination program admit that some people who are vaccinated will die. Creating a thread and posts about every person who died doesn't advance the discussion.

Unfortunately we are now living in a time of constant dilemmas. None of the choices being offered are what we would have chosen but for the pandemic. But yet, here we are.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people have covid twice, There is no immunity.
I think we're agreeing? Because my point was the vaccine *reduced* the chance of getting sick, not eliminated it.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Whilst I can only surmise the point of this thread, IMHO it was started by someone who wanted to vilify the vaccine. "Look - she was vaccinated and still died. What's the point of the vaccine?"

Yes, we must stop vilifying people. But that includes not highlighting every shortcoming of the vaccine. Must we see every newspaper post about vaccinated people who die? People who support the vaccination program admit that some people who are vaccinated will die. Creating a thread and posts about every person who died doesn't advance the discussion.

Unfortunately we are now living in a time of constant dilemmas. None of the choices being offered are what we would have chosen but for the pandemic. But yet, here we are.
I think pointing out the benefits and flaws of the vaccine is appropriate. I think encouraging people to get the vaccine by trying to empathize it is in their best interest is more than appropriate. I think labeling people based on their choice to get the vaccination or not is not only inappropriate, but unhelpful in the goal of getting them vaccinated.

The original article specifically vilified the unvaccinated. These threads are an attempt for the unvaccinated to defend their choice. Yes, they are defensive but, understand the unvaccinated are currently unfairly being painted as modern day lepers - including by the CDC director, of all people, who knows that is unfair portrait.

Like I said, I would more than happily get vaccine if I could, but that doesn’t mean I am unwilling to understand why some don’t want it. Unfortunately, we can’t trade places. And, now that we know it does not appear to meaningfully prevent the spread I have no right to demand they ignore their unproven fears to assuage mine.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I sit here shaking my head at the absurdity of people.

Facts are an anathema to some people. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Vaccines are not guarantees, but they improve the probabilities. All of life is a gamble; don't people want to improve their odds?

I wonder how many people who are vaccinated did not get sick? How many people who are vaccinated did not go to the hospital? How many people who are vaccinated did not die? Those people are not highlighted in postings that deprecate the efficacy of the vaccines.
My odds are well into the 90s, yet some people completely ignore that.

How many people who are unvaccinated have not gotten sick? How many unvaccinated don’t go to the hospital? How many unvaccinated don’t die? These people are not highlighted in postings that deprecate unvaccinated people.

See how that works?

Old 09-05-2021, 11:19 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
THEY DO WORK
It is so funny the way you keep clinging to that.

But every day there is a new fact that points to the idea of them not working. A 35 year old... obese / MS or not should have been protected by your beloved Vaccine. But wasn't.

But that isn't going to make you feel better.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:32 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Isn't obesity a major factor in how sick most get with covid???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies