Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 02:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Door Dash/UberEats/GrubHub do curbside now-for millions.
The thread isn't about those companies. It's specifically about Dominoes, and specifically about them using driverless cars, which is why I wrote what I wrote...

Curbside? I'm not paying a 3rd party to place an order for me, when I can call the restaurant directly and just order it myself, without the markup or added fees.

Who would use these things for pickup? I keep getting emails from GH telling me I have a credit for pickup, but who uses them to order for pickup? That's just throwing money away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 02:53 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The thread isn't about those companies. It's specifically about Dominoes, and specifically about them using driverless cars, which is why I wrote what I wrote...

Curbside? I'm not paying a 3rd party to place an order for me, when I can call the restaurant directly and just order it myself, without the markup or added fees.

Who would use these things for pickup? I keep getting emails from GH telling me I have a credit for pickup, but who uses them to order for pickup? That's just throwing money away.
They use them for delivery 99% of the time.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:03 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. capitalism died in 1970s, with Nixon
2. solution #1: global life sustaining income and provision of food made out of insects, basically (B. Gates project)
2. Solution #2: global population reduction to pretty much servants to those on the top.

3. solution #3: people wake up, smite those on the top, it all goes into shambles, we go through dark ages again, then something develops.

It's number 3 by a mile, no matter what store home or bar I visit; I'm hearing the same complaints.
Everyone feels like they're playing the shell game, with no ball.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:57 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Do we need humans for that job? Automation booms after COVID

Quote:
The pandemic didn’t just threaten Americans’ health when it slammed the U.S. in 2020 -- it may also have posed a long-term threat to many of their jobs. Faced with worker shortages and higher labor costs, companies are starting to automate service sector jobs that economists once considered safe, assuming that machines couldn’t easily provide the human contact they believed customers would demand.

If not for the pandemic, Siddiqi probably wouldn’t have bothered investing in new technology that could alienate existing employees and some customers. But it’s gone smoothly, he says: “Basically, there’s less people needed but those folks are now working in the kitchen and other areas....."

Improvements in robot technology allow machines to do many tasks that previously required people -- tossing pizza dough, transporting hospital linens, inspecting gauges, sorting goods. The pandemic accelerated their adoption. Robots, after all, can’t get sick or spread disease. Nor do they request time off to handle unexpected childcare emergencies.

Economists at the International Monetary Fund found that past pandemics had encouraged firms to invest in machines in ways that could boost productivity -- but also kill low-skill jobs. “Our results suggest that the concerns about the rise of the robots amid the COVID-19 pandemic seem justified,’’ they wrote in a January paper.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:10 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So people move on to new fields and jobs magically appear? We are talking millions.do you really think enough “new fields” are going to develop? I am doubtful. Remember what a job is. A job is a person with money or power paying you to do something so they can take a cut and get even more money. Basic business practices.
No a job is an independent person selling their labour to a business for payment. It is a free and voluntary exchange.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:06 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

yes,you can call the restaurant direct and place an order and go pick it up yourself,restaurant will thnk you for saving them money.
But,they sign up with DOORDASH,UBER EAT OF THE WORLD to get more businesses,some may have never heard of these restaurants,so it is like paying for advertising.
some may not want to pick up the item,like they work from home or they have kids with them,or they just dont feel like it/or they are just too tired to do so.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:48 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
No a job is an independent person selling their labour to a business for payment. It is a free and voluntary exchange.
This is one of the best lies I’ve seen on here in years. People don’t take certain jobs just for the hell of it. They take it because they are otherwise threatened with starvation and poverty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...212149256.html

Old 09-05-2021, 08:55 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
One of my male co-worker's favorite jobs was being a Dominos delivery driver. Chuckle. He tells me how people would give him weeds or girls would give him .... jobs for tips. If he had no responsibilities he said he'd rent a cheap apartment and do that again. haha. They should just drone delivery the pizzas to the residences. Maybe just 3D print the things 50 years from now. Me? I'm too cheap to go and have things delivered all the time. I'll pick it up myself.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:46 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/videos/mone...ns/7195381002/

Costco makes their pizzas using robots.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...258218%3famp=1

Let’s be honest. If a pizza delivery driver is getting replaced, how long until Amazon does this. How long until truck drivers get replaced?

Think of all the jobs that can be automated in the next decade.

So what’s a good solution? Just wait and hope that capitalism creates more BS jobs? People work for less in order to be cheaper than machines (that won’t last long because computers and machines will get cheaper.

Shorter work weeks so everybody does some work?

Universal basic income?

There needs to be some uncomfortable conversations about this.
This is actually really appropriate since their "pizza" tastes like it contains micro chips and electrical wires. Their drivers might as well be inorganic as well.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I'm glad the USA has always adapted and evolved to changing times.

Japan has been using robots for years for various daily tasks. Why can't we adapt like they have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies