Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:42 AM

29,557 posts, read 9,774,075 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many Americans even know what confirmation bias is, let alone bother to determine whether they are victim and to what extent. Do you know what it is? Do you consider it a serious problem? How do you know if you are a victim? What do you do about preventing yourself from being a victim?

Over the course of a good many years I have come to fully appreciate what a problem confirmation bias truly is in America. Especially as of late, and I am very curious how many other Americans feel the same way. Also what they do about it. Please do post your comments here if you are also interested and/or concerned about this problem. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2021, 09:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 2,173,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wonder how many Americans even know what confirmation bias is, let alone bother to determine whether they are victim and to what extent. Do you know what it is? Do you consider it a serious problem? How do you know if you are a victim? What do you do about preventing yourself from being a victim?

Over the course of a good many years I have come to fully appreciate what a problem confirmation bias truly is in America. Especially as of late, and I am very curious how many other Americans feel the same way. Also what they do about it. Please do post your comments here if you are also interested and/or concerned about this problem. Thanks!
Oh very much so! I think we are being divided on purpose. It’s either you are in Camp A or Camp B and you are almost expected to act accordingly.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:23 AM

1,154 posts, read 275,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Oh very much so! I think we are being divided on purpose. It’s either you are in Camp A or Camp B and you are almost expected to act accordingly.

Exactly. This is the number one problem in America at the present time.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,728 posts, read 18,082,654 times
It's two fold. Confirmation bias, and the inability to spot a hoax or misinformation.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 AM

52,370 posts, read 52,836,239 times
It's an issue, not number 1 though, many things above that in my opinion. Something that jumps out to me, it's not number 1 either but I think too many people are fat, dumb, and lazy. Too many people are sheep. They dont do enough of their own thinking and are too intellectually lazy. Couple that with the lefty media propaganda and things don't bode well for the direction of the country.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,072,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Never heard of it....is this the new term for logic by analogy?

For example, there are those who say that TWA 800 was shot down off of Long Island by a USN missile. One of the approaches of why I don't buy this is.....

........there are lots of countries around the world who don't like the USN sailing off their coasts. If this were indeed a viable theory, don't you think they would be screaming it against those ships off their coasts but no, not a peep...........

Is that what you are talking about?

Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,608,813 times
Of course I do not suffer from confirmation bias, but I am 100% sure that you (whoever is reading this post) have it bad, unless of course you agree with me. I mean, really, it is always, always the other person, never me.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,157,905 times
It's *THE* problem with individuals when it comes to how they consume information.

The purveyors of information hold plenty of blame, but the people consuming it are responsible for doing it responsibly, and almost nobody does anymore. It's all about what website it's on or which celebrity tweeted it or whatever. It's not about the information itself, just about proving themselves right with some internet link to some authority figure saying something, and it usually doesn't even say what they think it does, anyway.

Yeah. Confirmation bias is a problem.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:43 AM

4,434 posts, read 1,726,337 times
confirmation bias certainly explains why so many people believe in conspiracy theories, regardless of the theory.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:59 AM

30,351 posts, read 23,822,047 times
You have confirmation bias if you:

A). Don’t question.

B). Try to shut down conversation by “…ist” calling.

C). Will not listen to anything anyone else has proven.

D). Rely on one source, only.

E). Think you’re always right.

F) See only black and white.

G) Won’t call out your own “side” for their bad ideas, failures, or broken promises that they can control.

H). Think the government cares about your interests.

I). Think there are “sides” in politics.

J). Think the media doesn’t lie to you.

K) Think everyone else has confirmation bias, but not you.

Everyone has at least some, but some people are overflowing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies