Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 11:34 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Sorry, but this is just being made up.

Hillarious how when the liberal academic elites love to utilize one-line statements without any statistics.

Where are the plenty of impoverished rural white area that has a high homicide rate year after year?

There are none. Sometimes a rural area will have a high rate for one year because of domestic violence incident but there are no impoverished rural white areas that have high homicide rates year after year.
This...

Quote:
The one or two impoverished white areas that don't have low homicide rates are mainly African-American drug dealers
followed by this. The irony is rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 11:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
But liberals cannot and will not acknowledge facts, as facts tend to contradict liberal ideology.

This is why libs must engage in revisionist history, as history would continually suggest that liberal ideology has failed wherever and whenever it has been implemented.

As history also suggests the Conservative 'less government, less government spending, less government interference in our lives' mantra is little more than hot air given they spend like drunken sailors, grow government, and interfere in peoples' lives (current day Texas being a perfect example) when it suits their agenda.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnson69 View Post
Sure, I apologize, and I stand corrected. Sorry to offend you. Your opinions come off as very biased and one-sided.
Everyone is rich and qualified on the internet.

I’m Superman AND Batman.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:49 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Everyone is rich and qualified on the internet.

I’m Superman AND Batman.
Was it you?

Old 09-07-2021, 11:59 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think about the history of the OP, and then the history and some of what people hear are saying. Some people use threads like this as an opportunity to vent about how they see Black people as a problem. Among some people, I don't see a desire to solve any problems. I see some people who are here to complain about Black people. Whenever someone says "I won't take their problems serious because they kill each other", all I see is resentment and anger. I don't see much desire to solve any problems. On other threads, comments like "avoid young Black men" get thrown around. What do you expect me to get from that?
It my not be the right thing to say, but what do you expect ? I'm not sure where the individual that made that statement lives, but if their daily news report is of one shooting after another, specifically a certain demographic, like it is here in Detroit, why wouldn't they try to avoid them ?

I'll be honest, I cringe every time I have to go into Detroit. It's a violent area, that is fact, I tend to not like being in violent areas, so I avoid them as much as possible. Self preservation is human nature.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:07 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
Statisticians refer to it as confounding variables. The OP's model uses two independent variables - population of a defined municipal area and the proportion of African American's among that population. The outcome variable of interest is number of homicides. Flimsy (even by high school standards) for an explanatory statistical model. I would hypothesize income, gun ownership, and incidence of drug usage (detailed by drug class) could explain more variation than either city size or racial composition.
Don't forget about the level of education.

I can assure you there is a large disparity of education between these two cities.

Life becomes far more complicated when you are barely literate.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:08 PM

947 posts, read 297,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Poor people are driven to desperation. Anything can happen at that point, you'd be surprised what you might do when you haven't eaten in 3 days.....
You're trying to claim that the thugs beating up and murdering each other haven't eaten for 3 days, and THAT is the reason for their violence? Ha.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:10 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Oh, I know - I was literally just trying to think of a simple counter-example to explore the logic in my own mind. The five-factor model makes some sense to me. It might require more that just 5, I would imagine, but that's a huge improvement over 1 (proportion African American).

I love America, but our history of mistreating black people is something that makes me sad and upset. As a society, we should be trying to lift up all of our citizens.
We do though. I'm 52, and lived in the metro Detroit area the majority of my life. All those years, I've heard nothing but help going to Detroit. Back packs for the kids , school supplies, food drives, etc. Corporations donating millions for school programs, career programs etc. And the last time I looked, Detroit public school system spends as much or more per student, then the most wealthy school district does , per student.

And nothing has changed. Same thing day after day, year after year, decade after decade...

Throwing money and help at these issues hasn't done a thing, the change has to come from within.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 09-07-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 12:13 PM

947 posts, read 297,100 times
Quote:
Please elaborate on the root causes of poverty in the African American community. You attribute the higher than average poverty rates among blacks to high out-of-wedlock birth rate? No other causes you can think of? Are you sure high out-of-wedlock births aren't actually a result of something besides skin color?
Out-of-wedlock births aren't a "result of skin color." They're a result, in 99% of the instances, of having unprotected sex. The fact that the government rewards this behavior with a government support check is contributing to the problem.

And you're obviously hinting at something here, but I have no idea what it is. Surely you're not blaming white people for black people's high out-of-wedlock rate, are you?

Old 09-07-2021, 12:21 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It my not be the right thing to say, but what do you expect ? I'm not sure where the individual that made that statement lives, but if their daily news report is of one shooting after another, specifically a certain demographic, like it is here in Detroit, why wouldn't they try to avoid them ?

I'll be honest, I cringe every time I have to go into Detroit. It's a violent area, that is fact, I tend to not like being in violent areas, so I avoid them as much as possible. Self preservation is human nature.
What do I expect? For there to be less childishness than that. Why would I want to have a discussion with people who throw around statements like "if there were no Blacks, America would be safer" or "avoid young Black men"? Why would I want to have ANY discussion with people throwing around statements like that? And yes, as a Black man, I take those statements personally. I take things personally, it's the way I am.

I've never been to Detroit and I have no plans on going there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies