Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 05:02 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So who wants to move to Sioux Falls? Nobody? I thought so. That town gets into fast food like silly. There are 11 Burger Kings there. Surely, the OP needs to put up a state with a highly desirable city to move to.
That doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Jackson has a 100 times higher murder per capita than Sioux Falls. It's also not correct as Sioux Falls has had high growth for decades and Jackson has had a negative population rate for 4 consecutive decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 05:04 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Oh goody, race realism, otherwise know as racism.....

Otherwise known as FACTS!

Old 09-07-2021, 05:05 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So who wants to move to Sioux Falls? Nobody? I thought so. That town gets into fast food like silly. There are 11 Burger Kings there. Surely, the OP needs to put up a state with a highly desirable city to move to.

Who wants to move to Jackson?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:56 AM

947 posts, read 297,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
How about the 98% white town Beattyville, Kentucky, it is a Republican stronghold too? which has a massive drug problem. It is also plagued by poverty? Surely if you want to be more balanced, put places like Beattyville, Kentucky as well. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-poorest-towns
OK, then.....we are getting to the crux of the issue: it isn't so much racial (or racism) as it is POVERTY.

And the fact is that a much greater percentage of blacks live in poverty than do whites - as much as 3x or 4x as much, depending on the city. In Washington, DC, only 5% of whites live in poverty whereas 23% of blacks do. (Source below.)

The question which divides liberals and conservatives is the "why?" of it. Liberals blame systemic racism almost entirely, bypassing the role personal choices and values come into it. Conservatives note that while there are some instances of racism, much of the higher poverty rate can be attributed to personal responsibility - most notably the fact that the majority of black babies are born out of wedlock.

Rather than push the "whites are all born evil racists" CRT stuff, blacks should concentrate on what they themselves can do to improve their lot. First up would be to stigmatize out-of-wedlock birth (rather than reward it with government child support checks).

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D

Old 09-07-2021, 06:07 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
OK, then.....we are getting to the crux of the issue: it isn't so much racial (or racism) as it is POVERTY.

And the fact is that a much greater percentage of blacks live in poverty than do whites - as much as 3x or 4x as much, depending on the city. In Washington, DC, only 5% of whites live in poverty whereas 23% of blacks do. (Source below.)

The question which divides liberals and conservatives is the "why?" of it. Liberals blame systemic racism almost entirely, bypassing the role personal choices and values come into it. Conservatives note that while there are some instances of racism, much of the higher poverty rate can be attributed to personal responsibility - most notably the fact that the majority of black babies are born out of wedlock.

Rather than push the "whites are all born evil racists" CRT stuff, blacks should concentrate on what they themselves can do to improve their lot. First up would be to stigmatize out-of-wedlock birth (rather than reward it with government child support checks).

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D
Really? Interesting. Well, Michigan certainly doesn't follow your assumption. Wayne County (Detroit) doesn't even rank in the top five of Michigan's most impoverished areas, yet is the most dangerous. In fact, some of the highest impoverished areas are among the safest.

https://news.umich.edu/michigan-pove...ity-by-county/

Old 09-07-2021, 06:10 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Facts and statistics are not "racist".

As long as liberals keep ignoring the facts and statistics, there will never be a solution.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:12 AM

947 posts, read 297,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Really? Interesting. Well, Michigan certainly doesn't follow your assumption. Wayne County (Detroit) doesn't even rank in the top five of Michigan's most impoverished areas, yet is the most dangerous. In fact, some of the highest impoverished areas are among the safest.

https://news.umich.edu/michigan-pove...ity-by-county/
You can always find exceptions. Generally speaking, though, there is a high correlation between the poverty rate and the crime rate. And the poverty rate is higher among blacks.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:13 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Nope! Reality!

Old 09-07-2021, 06:23 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
You can always find exceptions. Generally speaking, though, there is a high correlation between the poverty rate and the crime rate. And the poverty rate is higher among blacks.
Being poor doesn't make one violent. Being poor, with no parental guidance, and uneducated, leads to making bad choices in life.

It all circles back to lack of a solid family structure.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:25 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Cold helps keep out the riff-raff to a degree combined with republican politics keeping the welfare state from getting too excessive. If you can't afford to survive on your own via a job I'd rather they not pay people to do nothing and create large areas of slums and high crime that result.

Get a job, obey the law, learn to fish for yourself instead of being given a fish. Welcome to South Dakota. Enjoy the bike trail (which I ride weekly in Sioux Falls) I'll never vote democrat and I don't even care about legal pot as much as I care about keeping the state from going blue and all the problems that go along with that. That includes down to the city level, since most larger cities get hijacked by democrats, even in red states.

It also helps it's a bit boring out here. Boring keeps out the riff-raff and brings in more family values types. I will admit it would be nice if we could get rid of the meth users though.

That said, there are places in MN, WI that are truly God's country and great places to live, and those are what I'd call gridlock states. I'm sure there are nice areas all over the country you just have to look for them and not cherrypick the worst examples. I'd consider where I grew up and where most of my family resides... Ozaukee, Washington, and Sheboygan counties in WI as "God's Country" as is the entire eastern part of the state going up to Green Bay including Door County and going west to include Oshkosh and all the areas around Lake Winnebago.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-07-2021 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies