Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:53 AM

318 posts, read 177,847 times

Advertisements

My gf says it's sexist in the sense that it, like many things, was pushed on women, by male scientists back when it came out, when they never bothered to invent a birth control pill for men as well. Even to this day there is no pill for men, because society expects the woman to be the fully responsible one.

Does she have a point there? I alwasy assumed maybe scientists haven't been able to invent a birth control pill for men and that was the reason why one was never invented, but could it be that they could invent one if they wanted to, but they do not want to, in the name of sexism, if that is likely the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 02:42 AM

10,911 posts, read 5,887,770 times
No she does not have a point. The thing is, birth control pills work by altering a woman's hormone cycles. Attempts have indeed been made to develop a male 'pill'. Not very successful though. Men and women just work differently.

I must say though, thinking of birth control as being sexist is a new one for me. Remember that the whole idea of birth control is preventing pregnancy in women. I suppose that is sexist in a way. Is that a bad thing?

Ah, I had momentarily forgotten - there is a male birth prevention. It's called a condom. They have been around for a very long time. The ancient Egyptians had them. Now those are sexist! They discriminate against men. Try that on her and see how it goes down.

Last edited by 303Guy; 09-07-2021 at 03:28 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 02:43 AM

18,400 posts, read 7,018,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
My gf says it's sexist in the sense that it, like many things, was pushed on women, by male scientists back when it came out, when they never bothered to invent a birth control pill for men as well. Even to this day there is no pill for men, because society expects the woman to be the fully responsible one.

Does she have a point there? I alwasy assumed maybe scientists haven't been able to invent a birth control pill for men and that was the reason why one was never invented, but could it be that they could invent one if they wanted to, but they do not want to, in the name of sexism, if that is likely the case?

Did Mother Nature have a point when she decided that only women can get pregnant?

Old 09-07-2021, 03:27 AM

14,858 posts, read 8,158,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Men and women just work differently.
How dare you.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:27 AM

17,500 posts, read 17,386,954 times
Quote:

Condoms are the most effective form of male birth control. Pills have been tried but they resulted in cases of severe depression and rapid heart rate in some test subjects. During the study it was 96% effective and speed count did return to normal after injections stopped. Personally I prefer condoms. They don’t alter a person’s hormones, they don’t require a prescription nor a doctor to implant, they come in a variety of materials, and synthetic models with spermicidal lubricant have also been shown to be effective protection against spreading STDs including the HIV virus.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:31 AM

318 posts, read 177,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No she does not have a point. The thing is, birth control pills work by altering a woman's hormone cycles. Attempts have indeed been made to develop a male 'pill'. Not very successful though. Men and women just work differently.

I must say though, thinking of birth control as being sexist is a new one for me. Remember that the whole idea of birth control is preventing pregnancy in women. I suppose that is sexist in a way. Is that a bad thing?

Ah, I had momentarily forgotten - there is a male birth prevention. It's called a condom. They have been around for a very long time. The ancient Egyptians had them. Now those are sexist! They discriminate against men. Try that on her and see how it goes down.
Oh I see. I brought up the condom and asked her if they descriminate against men therefore, and she said that any guy can wear a piece of plastic, but the pill is much more invasive, and scientists were only willing to put the invasive birth control method on the women it seems.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:10 AM

15,817 posts, read 21,331,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Condoms are the most effective form of male birth control. Pills have been tried but they resulted in cases of severe depression and rapid heart rate in some test subjects. During the study it was 96% effective and speed count did return to normal after injections stopped. Personally I prefer condoms. They don’t alter a person’s hormones, they don’t require a prescription nor a doctor to implant, they come in a variety of materials, and synthetic models with spermicidal lubricant have also been shown to be effective protection against spreading STDs including the HIV virus.

Women can experience severe depression, blood clots, increased risk for heart attack and stroke, weight gain, and migraines as the result of the pill. That's why most women scoff at men not being offered their own pill because of reluctance to experience the side effects that women commonly experience.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:17 AM

3,012 posts, read 2,207,102 times
Quote:

Yes, it is absolutely a symptom of a medical system that caters to men. White men, specifically. There are tons of examples... how medicine dosages are determined, what lab results are considered "normal" etc.

There ARE male contraceptives available, but it turns out that guys can't handle the side effects, poor snowflakes. (And/or they continue to think that they aren't at all responsible for making children.) https://utswmed.org/medblog/pill-guy...-safety-tests/
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.8b06683

Just something to think about when your 20yo daughter has a stroke from the pill.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:21 AM

12,191 posts, read 7,153,740 times
Well, if it weren’t for the fact that the baby (or embryo) is in the woman’s body, then your girlfriend may have a point but since IT IS in a woman’s body, then her point is clearly nonsense.

The idea of birth control is to not allow the embryo to develop, so giving the pill to the person where the embryo is, is not sexist, it is just common sense.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:22 AM

2,369 posts, read 900,454 times
I'm pretty sure researchers can come up with an oral contraceptive for men. But it'll be a hard sell because women can't trust men. Some unreliable guy forgets to take the pill and the woman gets pregnant. It gives all the control to men, who will decide whether or not the woman gets pregnant. Talk about being sexist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies