Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:59 PM

13,627 posts, read 20,687,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the flood gates opened for illegals? “Trade school” would be the last thing I would be considering. People are looking for the BBD “bigger better deal”. Why pay someone an arm and a leg when illegals will do it for pennies on the dollar

College is pointless too for most however because of the cost these days. It’s basically an institution for extortion
There is some truth in what you say.

With regards to college, I think the days of majoring in Literature or History and having lots of options are long gone.

In fact, I would say they were gone by the time I graduated in 1987. While it might shock the Millennials, the "Death of the Liberal Arts" was a topic of major debate even then.

A long time ago, college was basically an old boys club where you could study anything, make lots of contacts, and have lots of options upon graduation. Banks, for example, were big suppliers of jobs for Ivy League grads with liberal arts degrees. Why not? They had great training programs.

What happened? Lots of things including a massive increase in the student population.

I would say college is worth it with a realistic outlook, a solid plan, and a preference for STEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 06:48 AM

27,329 posts, read 28,397,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
With regards to college, I think the days of majoring in Literature or History and having lots of options are long gone.

In fact, I would say they were gone by the time I graduated in 1987. While it might shock the Millennials, the "Death of the Liberal Arts" was a topic of major debate even then.
That is my experience as well. Even in the 1980s, it was widely known that graduating with a degree in arts and humanities was no longer a ticket to a successful career.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:52 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,169,439 times
Quote:
There is some truth in what you say.

A long time ago, college was basically an old boys club where you could study anything, make lots of contacts, and have lots of options upon graduation. Banks, for example, were big suppliers of jobs for Ivy League grads with liberal arts degrees. Why not? They had great training programs.

What happened? Lots of things including a massive increase in the student population.

[b]I would say college is worth it with a realistic outlook, a solid plan, and a preference for STEM.[b]
I agree with what you wrote. I wonder if STEM should be changed to STEMM (science, tech, engineering, math and medical). Medical technically falls under science but the breadth of careers under medical warrants it's own place in the acronym.

The only other areas where I think college is worthwhile would be business and preparation for law school.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:13 PM

9,309 posts, read 14,212,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
College is outdated ... It is just a money grab. First year of college should now be like the first year of a masters program.

There is a ton of money in trades and building a business and growing one. Men aren’t as easily led into the scam.
I wouldn't go as far to assert that college is outdated. However, since it became an overpriced mass consumer product, subsidizing those who really do benefit, and with the advent of new technologies, college has more competition with respect to achieving certain goals.

It is up to individuals and their mentors to discover and stake out alternative paths if these alternatives have the potential to be a better deal than college as an overpriced mass consumer product.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I agree with what you wrote. I wonder if STEM should be changed to STEMM (science, tech, engineering, math and medical). Medical technically falls under science but the breadth of careers under medical warrants it's own place in the acronym.

The only other areas where I think college is worthwhile would be business and preparation for law school.

More or less.

Obviously studying Accounting, Finance, and even Marketing will net you lots of opportunities.

And if one thinks they can land a job in certain scholarly pursuits or teaching, then the liberal arts are still a viable choice, assuming the debt load is not too much.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:54 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,747,253 times
College worked great for me. My loans were paid off long ago because I majored in something that pays well (STEM). And I've stayed gainfully employed.

It's a shame that so many men these days don't have the discipline required to make an education pay off.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
College worked great for me. My loans were paid off long ago because I majored in something that pays well (STEM). And I've stayed gainfully employed.

It's a shame that so many men these days don't have the discipline required to make an education pay off.
Well done.

The funny thing is, the perils of combining huge debt with useless degrees have been known since at least the 1980s.

So why do these Millennials 1) Act like its something new and 2) Continue to do it?

Old 12-14-2021, 02:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,747,253 times
Quote:
Well done.

The funny thing is, the perils of combining huge debt with useless degrees have been known since at least the 1980s.

So why do these Millennials 1) Act like its something new and 2) Continue to do it?
Because we don't provide an education for our citizens... like they routinely do in civilized countries.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Because we don't provide an education for our citizens... like they routinely do in civilized countries.
Non sequiter.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:34 PM

4,230 posts, read 2,428,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
College is outdated. It should be focused learning in a field not all this waist of time general knowledge crap. It is just a money grab. First year of college should now be like the first year of a masters program.

There is a ton of money in trades and building a business and growing one. Men aren’t as easily led into the scam
Exactly. Females are more inclined to "follow the herd," and in this case, they're following the herd right into the slaughter house.

Higher ed is a racket, the purpose of which is not to educate, but to sell student loans. If the career path you want to pursue doesn't require a four year college degree, you don't need to be there. And if you don't know what career path you want to pursue, you also don't need to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies