Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 07:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That just doesn't always happen, though. My sister had COVID and was at the 2nd hospital (post-ICU). They told her to call when she needed to use the bathroom and not try to go alone. She was learning to walk again and they only wanted her to use a walker when they were present. Well, she would ring, but no one came. They'd left a wheelchair in the room, so she reached out, pulled it over, and got herself to the bathroom and stopped trying to call for help.
You’re right. Sometimes that happens.

They did that to my father at a VA hospital. They didn’t know my sister and I were both RN’s.

I went to the Nurse’s station and the old sergeant in me fixed the problem. They were just sitting around chatting and having a ball.

I took day shift and my sis took the night shift. He had cancer but he never got any other complications like pneumonia, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 08:01 PM

993 posts, read 766,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
In the room on IV.... cant go far , can you?
He could remove the IV needle and walk anywhere he wanted to. The point being, he wasn’t being held against his will.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
well my state just released the weekly info about cases- almost 5000 new breakthru cases, 111 hospitalized and 18 deaths. This is 1 week and numbers are rising. These are cases in vaccinated people and the state goes on to say they may be undercounted. Its not the unvaccinated that are causing the problems.
If most people had vaccinated, we would not have the crisis we have now. The more unvaccinated people get sick, the more chances for the virus to evolve. With fewer infections, less virus evolution. The delta variant is a product of rampant infection in India, from where it spread to the UK, from where it spread all over the place.

This virus is literally breaking our health care system. Much of the present crisis could have been averted if more people had gotten vaccinated.

I keep hoping we are near the peak in our county, but so far, the trend is still up.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:04 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Okay, well thank you for your candor. And I know patients can be difficult, which is why it takes special people to become nurses. You must know that when people are in the ER, or in the hospital, they feel their most vulnerable with little control over what happens to them. If they get cranky, kill them with kindness and try to reassure them and they usually calm down.

At least that's what my friends in those fields have told me.
Yes, kindness does do wonders. I used it sometimes. But every patient is different. I had like an extra sense of what they’d respond to. I just managed to “design” a custom made approach with each patient and I only had a couple of minutes to do that. I just improvised a lot. I do know the other nurses were beyond glad that it was me and not them taking care of the patient.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
my mother watched her father die at ten years old and became a nurse in 1942, nurses at that time did not make the money they do now, that came from unionization and it changed the type of people attracted to the healthcare field, not all but some were there just for the money
I think today's world is different, too, because hospitals are all about the bottom line and nurses are overworked. So are doctors. It's not good.

But remember, back then women had three career choices for the most part. A woman could become a secretary, a nurse or a teacher. There weren't a lot of options, but women were milder back then, as well, so those who were tired or getting grief from patients probably just kept moving.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:09 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Total lie. The vaccinated are the cause for the variants to be the dominant infections. They also spread it. The vaccinated are also vaccinated for a partial spike protein that is from the original strain, making their vaccination less and less protective day by day.
Nonsense.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:09 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
He could remove the IV needle and walk anywhere he wanted to. The point being, he wasn’t being held against his will.
Every iv pole I have seen has wheels. You dont need to remove the needle. Of course him being covid positive means that he is not allowed to walk wherever he wants. There are designated covid wards in hospitals.

When hospitals get overwhelmed care gets crappier. Just a fact of life.

OP's relative needs to put his big boy pants on.....and try to reduce the risk of having to go to the hospital again.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:15 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
How many times must it be posted that the VACCINATED can end up being hospitalized, too??!!

Honestly, I am beginning to believe that finger-pointers DO believe only what fits what they already believe, regardless of the truth.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:25 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not sure if I believe this. But lots of people have bad experiences in EDs because of wait times and short staffing. Maybe he attributed it to him being unvaccinated but that might not have been why he didn't get his blanket on time. He's still alive, which is more than a lot of people can say after getting COVID pneumonia.
Yea my son was not vaxed n they did all they could. He still passed but not for lack of care.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:35 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good thing he's not in Idaho or he could have his bed shoved into a conference room, so that ventilators and so forth can be used by those with a better chance of recovery.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (DHW) announced "it has implemented a hospital care rationing program due to a "massive increase" in coronavirus patients in the northern part of the state that is causing a "severe shortage of staffing and available beds." The goal is to "save as many lives as possible," suggesting a rationing of resources means some may not receive normal standards of care."

"The move allows hospitals to allot scarce resources like intensive care unit rooms to patients most likely to survive," the AP adds. "Other patients will still receive care, but they may be placed in classrooms or conference rooms rather than traditional hospital rooms or go without some life-saving medical equipment."

https://www.rawstory.com/unprecedent...e-in-patients/
Pretty rural area. How big do you think those medical centers are?

There was no info in the link or the press release on idaho dot gov regarding how many beds they have, their normal occupancy rate, etc. The only measure I saw used was "massive increase." That could mean that they went from 1 patient to 2 - a 100% increase. It doesn't mean anything without context.

Maybe they're having a real problem up there, but it doesn't necessarily mean what you seem to think it means. The article was written to lead you to a specific conclusion and was lacking in any meaningful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies