Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I look on Facebook and I see memes for George Orwell vs Margret Atwood, people speaking for them.

I see press pictures of protesters dressed as the Handmaiden's Tale outside the State House.

Just saw another meme of the Vulcan chick off Enterprise saying something.

Can't people say what's on their mind without referring to some popular culture icon?

Even if we say they are just being metaphorical, that really only works if the person one is trying to get the message to knows the reference........and not everyone watches the same thing.
I guess it depends on the context surrounding the reason they posted the meme. Sometimes people like to tell a joke and they know ahead of time that only certain people will get the joke.

However, I assume you are speaking about the people prefer to live in an isolated, ideological bubble, where the only people they associated with are those who live in that bubble. These are the people like Pauline Kael, who famously said she don't know how Nixon could have been elected, because she don't know anyone who voted for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 08:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
I look on Facebook and I see memes for George Orwell vs Margret Atwood, people speaking for them.
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter."

https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/20...e-been-shorter

Memes allow us to share complex ideas within our short attention spans. Would you rather everyone spams you with a rambling and incoherent wall of text?

Old 09-08-2021, 08:48 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Watch the new movie Level 16 on Netflix. Just came out. We will one day approach an environment where having a thought in our heads is highly punishable and looked down upon.

Just look at this board. A conservative member will post a nice well laid out thought and somebody on the left will no doubt come back with "oh that's just a conspiracy theory." Well soon every unique thought becomes a "conspiracy theory." It's just lazy and bland coming from the left. I see it here on a daily basis.

Last edited by pete98146; 09-08-2021 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-08-2021, 08:53 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Watch the new movie Level 16 on Netflix. Just came out. We are soon approaching this level where having a thought in their heads is highly punishable.

Just look at the left on this board. A conservative member will post a nice well laid out thought and somebody on the left will no doubt come back with "oh that's just a conspiracy theory." Well soon every unique thought becomes a "conspiracy theory." It's just lazy and bland coming from the left. I see it here on a daily basis.

Maybe the teachers union should stay out of teaching and let those who can inspire lead the classrooms.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Somebody made a very smart post about social media and its influence on youth. His sister got his nieces their cell phones and they were all over Twitter and social media and following the trending topics and friends list. They got very hyped about getting their vaxx shots to join in the clique and to follow the trends that their idols promoted. They got them despite not needing them and then were let down when they got no real social boost afterwards. Its was all about getting the vaxx and then when they got it.... they got ignored.
I've heard supposed conservative pundits promoting the vaxx and I just said " ****, moron." I am glad Joe Rogan beat Covid by taking Ivermectin.
This looks like a good place to come back into the fold........who's Joe Rogan?

Admittedly, I do reference movies but I though I was doing it more to reflect my thoughts to myself and not to make a point. After all, there was the time when I found out my students couldn't understand me mimicking Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" because not only had they never seen it, ........they had never heard of it. (at risk of crossing ironies right and left).

As far as there are no original thoughts..........Edison would be proud of the sayer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter."

https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/20...e-been-shorter

Memes allow us to share complex ideas within our short attention spans. Would you rather everyone spams you with a rambling and incoherent wall of text?
Difficult to say for what The Handmaiden's Tale is in TV............was it like that in the book? I don't know for I have only read the book, never seen the show, and when I pointed out a point in the book that is ironic to the current political picture, I was shouted down by some to not make it political.

I would suspect that many "reflecting" with that now, for what the show shows.....but not necessarily what the book said.

As far as a wall of text, yes, I would prefer that for it can show a little clearer where the flaw in their logic is.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-08-2021 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-08-2021, 11:31 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
As far as a wall of text, yes, I would prefer that for it can show a little clearer where the flaw in their logic is.
True, but do you really want to turn your Facebook feed into an endless debate?

Some people might share memes as a way to say something without really saying it. If you quote George Orwell and someone confronts you, you can be somewhat dismissive about it. That you don't agree completely but there is some truth in it. Or that you just thought it was funny. Or isn't this ridiculous.

Humans tend to speak in very euphemistic language. Like asking someone to "netflix and chill". It might mean you just want someone to hang out with, or it might mean something more. But because it can mean more than one thing, you can avoid offending the other person since they can't know for sure what you meant.

On the other hand, if I were to ask you to come to my house to have sex with me, that can only mean one thing. And now you no longer want to talk to me because things got awkward.

Basically, if they are putting everything into their own words, they are their words.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:33 PM

654 posts, read 280,014 times
Turning? No, we've already turned....

Old 09-09-2021, 04:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
True, but do you really want to turn your Facebook feed into an endless debate?

Some people might share memes as a way to say something without really saying it. If you quote George Orwell and someone confronts you, you can be somewhat dismissive about it. That you don't agree completely but there is some truth in it. Or that you just thought it was funny. Or isn't this ridiculous.

Humans tend to speak in very euphemistic language. Like asking someone to "netflix and chill". It might mean you just want someone to hang out with, or it might mean something more. But because it can mean more than one thing, you can avoid offending the other person since they can't know for sure what you meant.

On the other hand, if I were to ask you to come to my house to have sex with me, that can only mean one thing. And now you no longer want to talk to me because things got awkward.

Basically, if they are putting everything into their own words, they are their words.
Can it only mean one thing? I've found some men are rather clueless about things, of how far they want the sex to go, some of them are really wrapped up in fantasy, not in reality. Hence, why I have had some of them open the door to me nude. It is to establish that we are both on the same page.......so I say.

As far as turning my FB feed into an endless debate, it is rather already there. I just don't do it for there is no way to ever win. All their friends will jump in, shout me down, and even worse, they know who I am really, what I look for. So I try to avoid that temptation and let them have their private little world.....only the Net is not so private anymore.

I would hope that people are not so focused that they miss the larger picture but these days, I am not so sure. To be fair, it seems like a lot of people only see black and white and not the so many gray areas that exist.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:57 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
In my personal experience:

Facebook users = people who follow crowds

Old 09-09-2021, 04:59 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Can't people say what's on their mind without referring to some popular culture icon?

Yes just look at hollywood. There isn't any original thought in any movie lately. It is rare to find new ideas almost anyplace.

My concern is that it is just too easy to take someone else's thought. At no time in history did we have such easy access to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies