Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 11:53 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times

Advertisements

The Texas AG's response is that he plans to use every available resource in TX to defend the state of TX from the Feds.

Meanwhile, right to life groups estimate they are saving the lives of up to 200 babies a day by denying abortions to women who don't want them as long as this law stands.

If true, that's about 1400 unwanted children a week who are likely to become the financial responsibility of the state of Texas in some degree or another.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/pro-...suit-over-sb-8

If this law is found unconstitutional, wonder if women forced into motherhood by Texas will be able to sue for damages to the tune of what it costs to raise a child. Will the children themselves have standing to sue? Interesting questions ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 03:08 PM

5,557 posts, read 6,137,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If this law is found unconstitutional, wonder if women forced into motherhood by Texas will be able to sue for damages to the tune of what it costs to raise a child. Will the children themselves have standing to sue? Interesting questions ahead.
No, sovereign immunity would apply. It is very hard to get any damages from a government entity, usually only in egregious cases where the government failed to operate how it should. The most common are where someone has been imprisoned for years and later found to have been innocent - that kind of thing. There is 0% chance women or their offspring will be able to collect damages from the government for this.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:30 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,651,414 times
This law is rather chilling - not only as an end-run around roe v wade, but also by, frankly, creating a society of snitches, if you will. This is basically almost like the Snitches Get Riches mask reporting in California. It’s ridiculous, and if it stands, the precedent is horrifying. It may now work in your interests if you’re an anti-abortion advocate, but sooner or later it will be used to take away something or other that’s near and dear to you (I already heard guns, but it could literally be anything). Nor am I terribly interested in living in a snitch culture. Do you really want to be reporting to the Ministry of Truth office near you? This is the kind of culture it tees up.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. And with no exceptions in rape cases, I doubt this ridiculous law will remain in place long. The irony is Mexico just decriminalized abortion. I imagine many women will travel there for the procedure.
Much of the population isn’t that close to Mexico. Texas is huge. Much easier/faster/closer to travel to a neighboring state...should they wish to risk it.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Probably so on the Mexico travel. But, women should not have to go to a foreign country to get medical care when it is their right under the law of their own country.
Absolutely.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
No, sovereign immunity would apply. It is very hard to get any damages from a government entity, usually only in egregious cases where the government failed to operate how it should. The most common are where someone has been imprisoned for years and later found to have been innocent - that kind of thing. There is 0% chance women or their offspring will be able to collect damages from the government for this.
Not so sure about that.

Sovereign immunity doesn't apply when someone's civil rights have been violated.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This law is rather chilling - not only as an end-run around roe v wade, but also by, frankly, creating a society of snitches, if you will. This is basically almost like the Snitches Get Riches mask reporting in California. It’s ridiculous, and if it stands, the precedent is horrifying. It may now work in your interests if you’re an anti-abortion advocate, but sooner or later it will be used to take away something or other that’s near and dear to you (I already heard guns, but it could literally be anything). Nor am I terribly interested in living in a snitch culture. Do you really want to be reporting to the Ministry of Truth office near you? This is the kind of culture it tees up.
Yeah. And, while judges should be ruling on the law and not their emotions, I would think this deliberate thumbing of the nose TX is directing towards the judiciary would be more than a little infuriating to many judges on both sides of the aisle.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:16 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Texas reverting back to the ugliness of women having back alley abortions again is unbelievable and just sickening. There will always be abortion no matter what. It's been around since ancient times.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. And with no exceptions in rape cases, I doubt this ridiculous law will remain in place long. The irony is Mexico just decriminalized abortion. I imagine many women will travel there for the procedure.
If Roe v Wade is overruled, then state abortion ban laws may last indefinitely as long as women have easy access to Plan B and other drugs, thereby preventing a bunch of horror stories coming out about what happened to the women who couldn't get legal abortions. If horror stories come out, anyway, concerned citizens better do whatever it takes to get such laws repealed. In some red states, such as Oklahoma, it's just a matter of getting enough signatures for a petition for a vote on repeal.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-12-2021 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah. And, while judges should be ruling on the law and not their emotions, I would think this deliberate thumbing of the nose TX is directing towards the judiciary would be more than a little infuriating to many judges on both sides of the aisle.
I wouldn’t call it a deliberate thumbing of the nose so much as a subversion via letter of the law. The state is basically saying, we can’t enforce it, so we’ll let snitches sue.

I don’t have a good handle on SCOTUS law, so I don’t know how they’d rule on this. But given that SCOTUS is very astute in taking into account what their precedents might mean, in addition to the immediate case before them, I tend to think this won’t survive judicial scrutiny. If it does, conservatives will certainly reap what they’ve sown in fairly short order, and make everybody of every political stripe pretty miserable within the next decade.

And in that scenario, I wonder why I’ve been avoiding moving to NY state for so long. Yeah, I hate the weather more than here in Texas, but if we are about to enter a phase of legislation-come-private-lawsuit, what state you live in will suddenly look a lot more fungible when nobody is really able to get what they’d like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies