Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 10:02 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Wait...isn't that what the left/media accused Trump of doing? Not acting quick enough on Covid? LOL
Yes. And then they criticized him for what he did do.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with my opinion.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:05 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So if a "different" virus would justify quarantines or mandates, please tell us what that death toll would look like to warrant that justification - 700,000 of you dying? A million, or would the number have to resemble something like the death tolls in those third world chit-holes Americans are always claiming have no value for human rights, freedoms or LIVES?
That was quite a screed. Why are your emotions so out of control?

I wrote that a different virus presents different variables. You're also asking for an answer which doesn't make sense. These things aren't defined by a fixed number of deaths. They're evolving situations which need constant evaluation and adjustments to any responses.

How many highway deaths are you willing to accept before we lower the national speed limit to 30mph? 100k? 200k? What's the number?

Not a fair question, is it.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Free extended "luxury" vacations to that area of India for the flat earthers! No masks or innoculations or social distancing required.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:10 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Be the first one to fly to Mumbai and get infected then, please.
airborne viruses don't travel 800 miles and survive... especially when they are contained.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:14 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I've about decided we need to go back to quarantining incoming visitors like in the olden days. Two weeks on an Ellis Island like place and then on to their destination.
How does that work for people traveling for business?

Old 09-10-2021, 10:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well there was talk of preventing people from coming in from China early on but the people pushing quarantines today were the ones screaming "racism" over that idea so....you tell me. I don't know what people would want to do, I only know that "keeping us safe" isn't always the reasons we make the rules we make.
It kept Chinese Nationals from coming over. It didn't keep ANYONE else who had been there (foreign or domestic) from coming here and moving freely. So not only did it not accomplish what the 'idea' was, but it just so happened to be targeted at a group of people based on race and nothing else. It was ineffective, disingenuous, and frankly had some racial overtones to it.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:57 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
airborne viruses don't travel 800 miles and survive... especially when they are contained.
You may have misunderstood.

I mean she can go fly to Mumbai, kiss an infected pig and let the Lord protect her with Holy antibodies from the Nipah virus.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:52 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know what we should do. All I know is that nature is constantly trying to kill us and sometimes nature wins out. I also know we don't have enough intelligent, level headed people running things anywhere so I wouldn't bet too much on our survival if something with a death rate of 75% that's as easily spread as COVID spread across the globe.
Nature? with the help of gain of function researchers. Lets see, 2 chinese scientists were caught smuggling modified viruses out of Canada's nat lab and to (guess where,) the Wuhan lab. one virus was a coronavirus, the other was Nipah at the end of 2019. So natural? maybe, then maybe not.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:58 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hmmm. If this virus did get out, and started infecting people in the US, I wonder how many people would change their stance on mandatory, enforced quarantine?

I mean if someone flew in from India who had just been in that 2 mile area with active virus, you wouldn’t want to just let them loose on the streets of New York.
Maybe they have. By the time the US reacted to covid, millions of Chinese from infected regions had traveled all over the world. There is even evidence that covid was circulating in Europe before it was recognized in China. The world is so interconnected now. We are doomed.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:24 PM

930 posts, read 333,758 times
An outbreak of yellow fever in 1793 killed 10 percent of the population of Philadelphia. Not just 10 percent who got it, but 10 pct of the total population. Translated to today's US population, that would be 33 million deaths.

There were no gov't mandates, although there were some privately imposed restrictions. The disease did become quickly politicized, just as with Covid.

The US was then divided between the Federalist party and the anti-Federalist party. There was an anti-Federalist treatment regimen advocated by Benjamin Rush, and a federalist regimen advocated by a physician friend of Alexander Hamilton (Edward Stephens, IIRC). Neither one was really effective, but the Rush regimen was actually harmful and probably killed a bunch of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies