Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 05:37 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I love it when big-govt liberals try to cite the New York Times opinion section as an authority on what the Constitution says.
Actually, if you check you would see that the Times had a news story, not an opinion. Anyway, is the legal analysis accurate or not? Deal with the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 05:45 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Doesn’t matter if it’s constitutional, legal, illegal or whatever.
They’re already back dooring it by vax shaming businesses and other organizations into requiring it. You’re basically having your life and/or livelihood held hostage.
Back door communism.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:47 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Maybe so, maybe no. It hasn't gone to court yet.
No, that's not how it works.

The federal government is defined by the Constitution. It's not just a thing which exists, separate from the Constitution and just has to abide by it, "maybe so, maybe no."

The powers that the federal government has are enumerated. They're listed in the Constitution. If it's not listed in the Constitution, the 10th Amendment explicitly reserves those powers to the States, and to the People.

If you're going to say, "maybe so, maybe no," you MUST provide an accompanying argument to support your assertion. PERIOD. That is how it works. Otherwise, it's just a baseless claim, without evidence. Like Trump. Remember all those "baseless claims" he made "without evidence"? Yeah. That's you, right now.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The truth is that Jacobson is outdated anyway. The same people that wrote that decision wrote later in favor of forced sterilization of poor people to avoid generations of imbeciles.
It also was rendered before agencies like the FDA and CDC existed, so even if it had been a federal case, the situation is different and a different decision would need to be made.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Umm, you might want to read my post. You know, the one you quoted?

(Hint: I've already answered both your points... and before you even wrote them)
I don't know why you haven't put that guy on ignore yet. He doesn't know anything, only seems to be here to insult (I could get a lot deeper into what I think is going on in his head, but can't here) and never, ever adds any value to a discussion. I've put a good number of unserious people on ignore lately, but that one may have done the most to clean up my feed. No joke.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:59 AM

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Anything can be done which is not proscribed.
Isn't compatible with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Further, the 10th amendment states that powers not provided to the federal government are reserved to the states.
You started your reply with "You misunderstand constitutional law." It's up to you now to explain how the federal government can both do whatever it wants, but is also restrained by the 10th Amendment.

The two quotes above represent ideas which are mutually exclusive. Pick one.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:03 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvrilLavigne View Post
that's exactly what I fear, too
I wish I was living in Denmark these days
NO ONE is stopping you!

Old 09-11-2021, 06:03 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Life will be miserable for those that do not get vaxxed......fired from your job, health ins will sky rocket.....so you will be forced to vaxx otherwise, you will not be able to support yourself or family.
Self employed. Pay only for catastrophic insurance, out of pocket otherwise. I was forced into this position because the government took my job away in March, 2020. There’s nothing they can do to me short of jail or taking away my house.

The government should be very cautious about pushing those who don’t have much left to lose.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Reality is, if the Supreme Court overturns the vaccine mandate, Biden and Democrats go on record supporting the vaccine and the GOP goes on record opposing the vaccine.
I'm sure that's what The Narrativeâ„¢ will say, but that doesn't make it real.

I can't even imagine living in that fantasyland that you do. Everything's so confusing. Nothing makes sense. But as long as your friends agree, it's all good. What a bizzarro way to live.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:09 AM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think if the government mandated this it would be unconstitutional, which is why they're leaving it up to OSHA.
I'm not sure I understand your point - OSHA is part of the federal government. If something is unconstitutional for the federal government to do, then it is unconstitutional for OSHA to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies