Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 11:23 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,096,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
For me it’s not so much the non vaxxers as it is the non vaxxers who also refuse to take any precautions.

And I know it’s hard for some of you to understand, but it’s not all me, me, me. I’m not worried about me. I’m vaxxed, low risk, and a responsible adult. There is a societal effect you your behavior. From the spread of the virus that would be minimized by higher vax numbers and more responsible behavior…to the impact on our hospitals and healthcare workers that would be greatly minimized by higher vax numbers and more responsible behavior…to the effect on our schools and kids that could be minimized by higher vax numbers and a better sense of personal responsibility.

For people who claim to be patriots, the non vaxxer, anti precautions conservatives really show how little they care about American society and American citizens in favor of me, me,me.
I'm noticing a theme here...

But I'm not sure you understand the idea of personal responsibility.

Hint: "personal"

You decide what's best for you, and I'll decide what's best for me. If you can demonstrate that you suffered some form of damage as a result of what I decided, take me to court.

This is fundamental freedom stuff. If you don't get this, you don't get anything at all about our country.

Funny thing is, if people (and especially the government) weren't so adamant that I have to take this thing and just put it out there like other medications, maybe I'd have gotten it. It's not the vaccine that's especially concerning, although there are concerns. It's the authoritarianism which arrived with it that's the problem, and unless/until that's adequately explained and removed, I'm not doing a damn thing that the control freaks want, unless I'd be doing it anyway.

I will not be coerced. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 11:25 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If you are vaxxed and I am not, please explain how that's a threat to you.
The vaccine is not a guarantee. It's not perfect. And it's still too soon to know what the average efficacy will be over time.

I think the vaccine means our chances of NOT getting it are BETTER. Not perfect, but BETTER, than without.

I think the vaccine means our chances of NOT getting seriously ill are BETTER. Not perfect, but BETTER, than without.

It means most of the time I feel pretty good about my risk. Even around most unvaccinated persons, I'm unlikely to feel overly threatened.

I will say though, that a recent close exposure with an unvaccinated AND SICK person, someone who had COVID at the time, did make me feel very threatened. This person got in my space, and my husband's space, unmasked and coughing, not even giving us the distance courtesy I would expect of someone with a common cold, let alone COVID.

And she did this twice. Yes, I'm vaccinated, but I do think we still have reason to be cautious about exposure with persons or places with greater risk. It's not a perfect world, or a perfect vaccine.

Even though we're vaccinated, we quarantined a few days, and bought home tests to take, just to be sure we had not been infected. We took two tests, three days apart. I will say she is apparently recovering without needing to go to the hospital, but I would NOT want what she has.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:25 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
If the pro vax mandate crowd (for the lack of a better term, I am pro vax but anti mandate), I cannot take any of you seriously if you are not advocating for antibody tests as well, and providing documentation to those who were previously infected.

This lack of advocacy just shows me that it is not about the virus, but about some pseudo BS about getting your way no matter what, whether it is this or some other matter.

Come on, you all have zero care about the virus and its spread, lol. You all have to make up wild ass scenarios to even make a claim.
There are different types of antibody tests and each one's ability to determine actual immunity would need to be validated, which would take a while.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:26 AM

8,955 posts, read 2,554,868 times
Quote:
Vaccinated people spread it also, lol. So your kids are not safe around vaccinated people as well.
Unless they have absolutely grave health problems already, children are not in danger one way or the other. Swine flu killed like 3 times as many children in less than a year than COVID-19 has in 18 months but there was no "but what about the children?!?!" pearl clutching going on back then because the media didn't work the ignorant and cowardly into a frenzy

Old 09-11-2021, 11:28 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
There are different types of antibody tests and each one's ability to determine actual immunity would need to be validated, which would take a while.
Yet they are enough for the CDC to state that reinfection is rare.

Fact is, the powers to be have zero care and are rather being obtuse to this, in their push for mandatory vaccinations, and that is the disturbing thing to me, because if it was truly about reducing the spread, they would be testing for natural immunity as well, since their own CDC has stated reinfection is rare.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:28 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,730 times
It is because if you are infected you are spreading it to me AND EVERY OTHER PERSON I PLAN TO BE AROUND.. Duh

Old 09-11-2021, 11:32 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Yet they are enough for the CDC to state that reinfection is rare.

Fact is, the powers to be have zero care and are rather being obtuse to this, in their push for mandatory vaccinations, and that is the disturbing thing to me, because if it was truly about reducing the spread, they would be testing for natural immunity as well, since their own CDC has stated reinfection is rare.
Are you claiming that antibody tests were the only way that reinfection was determined by the CDC? If not, that isn't really a testament to the validity of those tests regarding immunity.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:39 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,725,945 times
The vaccines are not perfect....but they are contributing to getting us out of this hell hole. The primary danger as people have pointed out is the virus can overwhelm the health care system and it currently is across the country and globe. So people with other conditions don't have access to appropriate medical care as a result and avoidable deaths increase. This is simple logic. Israel is worth keeping an eye on but this was just published in the Times of Israel

Vast majority of serious COVID-19 cases are unvaccinated, says health official
Sharon Alroy-Preis says most patients on ventilators aren’t inoculated and that of the 27 patients on ECMO machines — most of whom are under 60 — 90% haven’t had shot

https://www.timesofisrael.com/vast-m...alth-official/

The current state of the pandemic is again hurting the economy. Goldman Sachs has downgraded their 3rd quarter GDP forecast from 9% at the end of July down to 3.5% currently. So this is hitting people in their pocket books.

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...-around-4.html

The vaccines are not a silver bullet we hoped for but they literally are saving people's lives and this is all we got right now to flatten this damn curve.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:41 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
It is because if you are infected you are spreading it to me AND EVERY OTHER PERSON I PLAN TO BE AROUND.. Duh
LOL - do we now have "second-hand spread" ??

(hum.... so I can say, 'it's not my fault, someone else surely gave me the germ that you think I gave to you' )

Old 09-11-2021, 11:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
If you are vaxxed and I am not, please explain why that's a risk to you.

It is a threat to the very fabric of everything that Progressives are trying to do to, err I mean FOR you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies