Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 07:09 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
The government is causing issues with hospital capacity. They had 18 months to provision more of it.
Try training a nurse or respiratory therapist in nine months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 07:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
The government is causing issues with hospital capacity. They had 18 months to provision more of it.
How is that government's fault? I mean especially when COVID hits a number of states at the same time. A number aren't following mask guidance or worse, blocking them from being used in schools or even worse, have low vaccination rates. Look at Florida and Texas as well as Alabama. For some time, Alabama was maxed out and these states at the time the Delta wave hit, had low vaccination rates as compared to other states. I'm sorry but "preparing for 18 months" was defeated by idiots who didn't want to get vaccinated following psuedo-science, politics and conspiracy theory. Even with the best planning...

Old 09-17-2021, 08:31 AM

382 posts, read 124,288 times
"Because you are an incubator for viral mutation, reducing the effectiveness of my vaccination."

The inherent implication in this statement is that it's far more likely for an unvaccinated person to cause a viral mutation, than for a vaccinated person to cause a viral mutation. But 51 pages in, and no hard data to prove this. So far, this is an unsubstantiated assumption.

"Because if you are infected and come into proximity with me, there is a small chance I may catch a breakthrough infection."

The inherent implication in this statement is that an unvaccinated person is far more likely to be able to transmit a breakthrough infection, than a vaccinated person is. In other words, the inherent assumption is that the degree of transmissibility from an unvaccinated person is much higher than it is from a vaccinated person. But 51 pages in, and no hard data to prove this. So far, this is an unsubstantiated assumption.

The truth is that every person, vaccinated or not, is a potential incubator. The virus has an opportunity to mutate every time it encounters an immune system. But it appears that either the data to answer these questions is lacking, or is not yet discovered by this thread.

Last edited by ResistTheReset; 09-17-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-17-2021, 08:43 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How is that government's fault? I mean especially when COVID hits a number of states at the same time. A number aren't following mask guidance or worse, blocking them from being used in schools or even worse, have low vaccination rates. Look at Florida and Texas as well as Alabama. For some time, Alabama was maxed out and these states at the time the Delta wave hit, had low vaccination rates as compared to other states. I'm sorry but "preparing for 18 months" was defeated by idiots who didn't want to get vaccinated following psuedo-science, politics and conspiracy theory. Even with the best planning...
If the Feds were expecting 100% compliance with their guidance, they all need to be fired. The whole lot of 'em. Trump deployed a hospital ship to NYC when the virus peaked there. There are resources at the government's disposal that should have been deployed, or the Feds should have washed their hands of covid response entirely and said 'There's nothing further I can do'. Do what needs to be done, or get out of the way.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
More cherry picking. The overall pattern is still that states with a higher percent vaccination are doing better. This is no different than the climate change deniers pointing to a couple of somewhat cooler years and then saying it's all a hoax, despite the overall trend being obviously up.

I get the argument that vaccines should not be mandated, but distorting the science? I think you can do better.
Seasonality is what we are most likely seeing. I think you should be careful in cherry picking and distorting the science. Wait a few months and see what happens in the higher vaccinated states.

Israel’s surge is worse than ever after issuing boosters.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Try training a nurse or respiratory therapist in nine months.
You can import them overnight on emergency visas. The going rate for a nurse or respiratory therapist in countries like South Korea is a third of what it is in the US. Even if you pay them half the US going rate, you'll get a plane load in about 2 days.

They did SFA about the healthcare worker shortage that's been around for over a decade. They made their bed, they lie in it.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
To give them credit they don't exactly have the manpower to mobilize new ICU wards....they can barely staff what they have and with travel nurses getting 3x the pay and the vaccine mandates, more are quitting.
Maybe the vaccine mandates should be rolled back then. I'd rather have medical care from an unvaccinated doctor than no medical care at all. That should be at the patient (customer)'s sole discretion.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:46 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
I miss growing up in the 1970's. We sang, "I'd like to teach the world to sing" Coke commercials
at Christmas, we learned all about Reduce, Reuse and Recycle in Scouts, we took vaccines to help
eradicate Measles, Mumps and Rubella. I received comic books in school printed by the electric
company, which taught me how to "Make Every Kilowatt Count". ( To this day, I turn off and
unplug anything in an empty room that I am not using). Smokey the Bear taught us the danger
of cars sparking fires in dry brush areas and Marlo Thomas sang "Free to be You and Me" where
I learned to respect race, creed, and religious differences in others. My dad fed me Sashimi and
mom decorated the house with all the beautiful Japanese objects dad collected after living in
Okinawa before I was born. The weirdest thing I saw in public were throngs of Hara Krishna's,
but my parents brought me to one of their vegetarian restaurants because my cousin wanted to
go and they were not about to tell her that we thought unflavored yogurt dip sounded awful. Mom
bought all our produce straight off the field stands from people who were not citizens, she bought
our seafood off the boats at the fishing dock and we camped in Mexico where I was encouraged
and allowed to play with kids at the campgrounds who could not speak English.

I went to high school with Mike Pompeo, he graduated a year behind me. We all loved our foreign
exchange students and they loved us. No high school event was complete without our two Iraqi
sisters, and our two twin sisters from Czechoslovakia because our parents explained to us all the
horrors their father's went thru to bring them to live here and we were glad to have them.

I say all this because it all led to the 1980's when I became an adult and saw women enter college
to get MBA's by droves. People of all race, creed, religion and gender were welcomed into college
and the work force. Suddenly American's had money and real earning power. Then the military
allowed women to fly, fight and serve combat and closed quarters were no longer separate. It
was a great policy, while their were hiccups along the way like The Tail Hook Scandal, it actually
was accepted more than it was rejected and the younger people had a much easier time accepting
and respecting the new situation.

If Covid had hit back in the 1970's or '80's, people would be far more willing to band together
and not fight. There would be much more cooperation and consideration, and respect for the
science. When HIV hit, myself and the entire military had to have regular blood testing, no matter what.
HIV was taken so seriously that nobody serving was going to be allowed to go undiagnosed
and unknown. I find this attitude of bullying one another over trying to fight Covid absolutely
perplexing. Imagine if this attitude was taken when the Polio vaccine was developed and distributed.
Like I saw on a meme recently, if Fox News was around back then, we would still be fighting Polio.
Back in those times, the science was not being politicized as it is now. The science still got things wrong from time to time, but at least people didn't think they were being purposely lied to and isled. With the introduction of COVID, we have seen how deceitful, flawed and inept "the science" has been made.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:22 AM

416 posts, read 247,713 times
Explain it one more time

Old 12-30-2021, 12:23 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Now, hold on...

...I’m vaccinated, not “vaxxed”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies