Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 10:20 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have always been an advocate of getting flu shots, and I have provided people with accurate information on the reasons for getting it.

However, COVID has a far higher morbidity rate than the flu. That is a significant reason why, although it is important to get a flu shot, it is way more important to get a covid shot.
You missed (or avoided) the point.

Were you shaming people into getting flu shots two years ago? Covid is more transmissible by design, sure, and it's a little bit worse than the flu, generally.

But shaming people into getting a shot? Do you understand the seriousness of that? Would you shame a woman into having sex - accepting something into her body that she doesn't want or need?

The differences between the flu and covid, practically speaking, aren't terribly significant. What's getting us is the newness of it, but it's becoming less and less new over time, and the strain it's putting on our systems is way down from where it was a year ago and will continue to fall until this is just another flu. The emergency is over.

Why do you feel it's your place to make medical demands of total strangers today, when you weren't doing it two years ago? What changed in your mind to lead you to the conclusion that it was immoral then, but not immoral now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 10:21 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Yes, I follow the science. The vaccines are roughly 95% effective against the initial variants, somewhat less so against delta. The more unvaccinated people we have, the more incubators we have, the more variants we have. Yes, the blame is correct.

Very rarely. Only if they are breakthrough infections, which are pretty rare all things considered. The unvaccinated form the greatest pool for mutational incubation.

Sure, that would be true. But that isn't really that big a deal, because vaccinated people rarely get infected, and rarely experience hospitalization.

I was really thinking about people who have heart attacks, get into car accidents, that type of thing.

Much less so of course. Vaccinated people rarely get infected to the point where they have enough viral load to infect others. Yes, it could happen, but it is rational to play the odds and consider vaccinated people less risky to be around.
How many times do people have to give you links to RECENT research? The above is no longer true; what you keep repeating over and over was all pre-Delta. Starting with:
Quote:
A new Mayo Clinic preprint looked at the effectiveness of mRNA vaccines between January and July. It found Pfizer effectiveness dropped to 42% in Minnesota in July, when Delta became the dominant strain.
Quote:
New Israel research says Pfizer Covid vaccine is just 39% effective as delta spreads
Not 95%, but 42%, at most.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:26 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
Rather than debate the science, you would prefer to engage in a semantic argument?

Sounds like you are not willing to engage with facts.
Unbeknowst to you, semantics is part of logic.

Unlike ad hominem attacks taught in your handbook.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
You acknowledge that vaccinated can pass the virus, but you seem to think you could only get the virus from unvaccinated?
I never said that, calm down.

Quote:
It has been beaten to death, despite that you wrong and providing incorrect information.
It is semantics, you are focused on my wording. I'm not sure why youre coming at me, we're both in agreement.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:30 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If you are vaxxed and I am not, please explain how that's a threat to you.
If you're still asking questions like that, you have to question your mental ability to make decisions. This is now over a year and a half into the pandemic. So somebody has decided to make the decision for you.

The analogy is one of a household where some children throw tantrums and refuse to take responsibility. Eventually, the law gets laid down.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:43 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
I am taking HCQ weekly - so I have 'flattened fear' and spread, and I also have early treatment on-hand. I wish this option was more widely known and available.

It's pretty clear to me that medical 'experts' and leadership are NOT looking for true answers and viable options (to prevent hospitalization, spread, etc, etc) while also ignoring natural immunity and ivermectin - shows me their insincerity and reveals their true agenda. So, I can't trust their dictates - AT ALL.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:48 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you're still asking questions like that, you have to question your mental ability to make decisions. This is now over a year and a half into the pandemic. So somebody has decided to make the decision for you.

The analogy is one of a household where some children throw tantrums and refuse to take responsibility. Eventually, the law gets laid down.
Except we are not children, government is not mommy or daddy, and whether this is legal is up for debate. Some of the laws clearly forbid mandates. Do you want that law laid down?

Also quit attacking people personally.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:51 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times
The economy will get much better if almost everyone is vaccinated. The drain on the economy is ridiculous because a $5 shot is less deletrious to the nation than wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on on one person who could have gotten the $5 jab. As others have mentioned, good people are dying waiting for an ICU bed to open up.

Also, when [if] the nation gets vaccinated, when people who are sick or dying in the hospital, their family will be able to be with them as it was before covid.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:51 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Because vaccinated people can carry the virus. If you, unvaccinated, pass it onto me, I, showing no symptoms, can then pass it on to someone else who is immunocompromised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I never said that, calm down.
Was I not calm?

See the color fonts.They are your words, my coloring. Hope you knew what you were saying.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-11-2021 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Don’t use red font, please

Old 09-11-2021, 10:53 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Those who are unvaccinated are only a risk to themselves and others who are unvaccinated but extremist authoritarians don't care about truth or reality, they care about blind obedience....thus why they are pushing for mandates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies