Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 11:51 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
If you are vaxxed and I am not, please explain why that's a risk to you.

It is a threat to the very fabric of everything that Progressives are trying to do to, err I mean FOR you.
That is complete conspiratorial BS. This isn't just happening in the US....this is global.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 11:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
That is complete conspiratorial BS. This isn't just happening in the US....this is global.
Well, if every news agency, university, think tank, government employee and elected representative in the United States is in on the conspiracy, it isn't too much of a leap to think that every person on the planet is in on it.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:57 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
while it seems that both vaxed and unvaxed people can carry the virus and spread it...
Because the vaccine doesn’t work.

You really think a vaccine developed in 10 months was going to be a miracle drug?

If this wasn’t a 98% survival rate virus, the vaccine would’ve been considered a complete failure. Instead it’s just a glorified booster shot.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:58 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
My children are not old enough to be vaxxed. Despite repeated unconvincing claims to the contrary, evidence appears to show that the vaccine reduces the chance of getting COVID in the first place (as well as reducing severity of symptoms).

By contributing to the continued circulation of the virus-by fighting both vaccination and masking-you are putting my children in a position where they may get sick AND collectively contributing to saturation of treatment resources. That risk is more than you have a right to subject us to and is fundamentally greedy. It tells me everything I need to know-that some people can’t be bothered to contribute to society, that they are simply greedy takers.

Once they are vaxxed, I really am much less concerned about you getting COVID.
What do you reckon the survival rate is for children infected with Covid?

Old 09-11-2021, 11:59 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
The funny thing is that they want to force the vaccine onto other people even though children are not eligible to receive the vaccine. Are they not aware that children are human, too, they are not some sort of different species. They will continue to contract and pass Covid around even if children, as a group, are at very low risk of complications from the virus. It is very literally a head cold to most of them. Seriously. They catch it, recover and gain natural immunity from it, as do MOST adults who catch it.

This virus has been going around for a year and a half. There is a vaccine now for those that want it. That should be the end of the story.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:01 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Because you are an incubator for viral mutation, reducing the effectiveness of my vaccination.
So are you.

If you'd had the vaccines for the measles and other disease, do you worry that others who hadn't been vaccinated for those diseases might be "an incubator for viral mutation, reducing the effectiveness of your vaccination"? It seems doubtful, so why not? Because the vaccines for those other diseases actually work? Why aren't you constantly talking about those people?

There are many illegals that slip into or are allowed into this country who seem to carry some of those diseases, including covid. Where have you constantly banged the drum about them? Why are you not angry that Biden* is allowing those illegals who have covid to wander around this country?

Quote:
Because if you get infected and have to be hospitalized in the ICU, that is one less bed for people who may need it for other reasons.
Do you say the same about the illegals who come here with covid or other illnesses and spread their diseases around the country? Doubt you do, so why not? They take up beds in our hospitals for many things, including covid .. why don't you care about that?

Quote:
Because if you are infected and come into proximity with me, there is a small chance I may catch a breakthrough infection.
What makes you think that even though you'd taken the 'shot' that you're not percolating your own version of a breakthrough infection, which you can spread to both those who'd had the shot and those who hadn't? Maybe the next variant will be named the "fishbrains variant"?

Old 09-11-2021, 12:03 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The funny thing is that they want to force the vaccine onto other people even though children are not eligible to receive the vaccine. Are they not aware that children are human, too, they are not some sort of different species. They will continue to contract and pass Covid around even if children, as a group, are at very low risk of complications from the virus. It is very literally a head cold to most of them. Seriously. They catch it, recover and gain natural immunity from it, as do MOST adults who catch it.

This virus has been going around for a year and a half. There is a vaccine now for those that want it. That should be the end of the story.
When Covid is no longer overwhelming the health care system....then it will be end of story.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:03 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
This has all made me realize how much I had been vastly overestimating the critical thinking skills of a large segment of society. People who are still listening to the likes of Dr Fauci and his brethren must not see how they have contradicted themselves and changed their opinion over and over again to the point of being completely nonsensical.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:04 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If you are vaxxed and I am not, please explain how that's a threat to you.
My first thought is how amazing it is that anyone would not know the answer to such a question...

I suppose the only explanation has to do with ignoring or not accepting all we should know about this virus, getting vaccinated, and how all of this is affecting all of us in one way or another. If not a "threat," it's at least an obvious problem for all of us to keep having to deal with the spread of this virus.

Why do I still need to wear a mask? Anywhere? I hate wearing a mask. Why do I need to worry someone will spread the virus to my elderly parent, or son who has asthma? At risk people who I know and love. How is that NOT a threat to me?

I'm not exactly a youngster either. In my 60s, and though I suspect I could beat the virus if I were not vaccinated and was infected, I wouldn't want to have that notion tested, by getting infected by someone who doesn't bother to get vaccinated. The vaccine is not 100 percent effective after all.

To that end I'm glad I'm in an area with higher percentages of vaccinated people. Only a fool doesn't realize what is happening to hospitals in areas where people are not inclined to get vaccinated. The impact on ICUs in those parts of the country. What of the threat to other people with other serious need to be in those beds? Taken up by unvaccinated nitwits who are there as a result of their own doing!

Good for the doctors who are beginning to refuse patients who are not vaccinated. Why should medical professionals have to deal with that threat either?

I really didn't get vaccinated out of concern for myself. I did it mostly for others who are close to me as well as everyone else I might come into contact with. Not that my own health doesn't matter to me as well, but in this case, doing the right thing isn't just about us as individuals.

Please get a clue and get vaccinated already! So we can finally get all this crap behind us and bring normal back sooner rather than later.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
I did acknowledge that the initial vaccines are less effective. This is moving so quickly that any reports are preliminary, and citing an exact percentage efficacy is premature. I will point out that you have not provided links either, but mere quotes from an unknown source.
Just to remind you of what you said,
Quote:
Yes, I follow the science. The vaccines are roughly 95% effective against the initial variants, somewhat less so against delta. The more unvaccinated people we have, the more incubators we have, the more variants we have. Yes, the blame is correct.
There is huge difference between roughly 95% and between 39-42%. Yes, something is better than nothing, but that efficacy is low enough that neither, nor anyone else, can smugly assign blame mutations on the unvaccinated.

There is actually a scientific basis for arguing that vaccine breakthrough infections are more likely to result in mutations but I’m going to spare myself that long drawn out explanation. If you are truly interested in the issue this is a good start https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34004284/ (The actual paper, not just the abstract).

You know, you can look information up on these nifty things called search engines. Try the words “vaccine” “efficacy” and “delta”. But here’s just one, from what you probably consider a good enough source.
https://www.businessinsider.com/pfiz...dy-2021-8?op=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies