Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2021, 07:58 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

I would have done a warning shot. Or hollered I have a gun the £ away from my house. But it might have been a hurt person from an accident up the road. A stupid kid? Her ex? A person with mental disabilities or old guy with dementia who was lost ? She jumped too quick - but it’s Texas. The wild Wild West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:01 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
I don't know the law in Texas. But in my state she could legally shoot him.
As far as calling the police, well let me tell you how that can work.
My daughter and grandkids got home about 10 pm and her front door was standing open. She called 911 and then me. The police station was a mile away and I was 5 miles away. When the police finally got there, I was there and had done a walk-thru and had waited several minutes. That is not unusual for police response times.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:03 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I am disgusted that anyone here would be defending the pervert. While there is more to be known in this story, none of you here know her or were there and know what happened or what the peeper's intentions might have been. I would like to see what some of you here (especially women) would have done if this happened to you. I have no sympathy for these creeps!

Old 09-12-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would have done a warning shot. Or hollered I have a gun the £ away from my house. But it might have been a hurt person from an accident up the road. A stupid kid? Her ex? A person with mental disabilities or old guy with dementia who was lost ? She jumped too quick - but it’s Texas. The wild Wild West.
Believe it or not, in some jurisdictions, warning shots are illegal. They are dangerous. It might hit an innocent person. Biden suggested a warning shot several years ago and was told by many people that it was a bad idea and may be illegal.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:05 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
This is a classic case of better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. A woman alone in her own home 11 PM at night and some pervert peering through the window and you think he’s going to try to enter. I can totally see how she was like “shoot first and ask questions later”.

I’ve always subscribe to the ideology that if you do stupid things you win stupid prizes. Maybe this guy wasn’t actually going to rape her or kill her, but you don’t sneak around at night peeping through women’s windows. Bad things can happen to you and rightfully so. It’s the risk you run engaging in that stupid behavior. If you break into someone’s house you should be expected that there’s a high possibility you could get shot. Same thing. To me this is an open and shut case because the idiot shouldn’t of been there in the first place.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Believe it or not, in some jurisdictions, warning shots are illegal. They are dangerous. It might hit an innocent person. Biden suggested a warning shot several years ago and was told by many people that it was a bad idea and may be illegal.
Yea I know. A lady got 20 yrs for firing a warning shot because her previously arrested abusive ex was trying to get to her. But that’s Fl. All I’m saying is -she didn’t assess the threat. If you gonna own a weapon learn discretion. I know- not all have any sort of training. I pulled my gun once - possible intruder cops were chasing - but I stayed inside and waited. He didn’t come through my backyard.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yea I know. A lady got 20 yrs for firing a warning shot because her previously arrested abusive ex was trying to get to her. But that’s Fl. All I’m saying is -she didn’t assess the threat. If you gonna own a weapon learn discretion. I know- not all have any sort of training. I pulled my gun once - possible intruder cops were chasing - but I stayed inside and waited. He didn’t come through my backyard.
The man had NO right to be looking in her windows. NONE.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The man had NO right to be looking in her windows. NONE.
No, he did not - but did she know who he was before shooting ? I asked if it could have been an old guy with dementia ?? No curtains or blinds? I am 68 live alone, but wouldn’t shoot with out knowing I had no other choice.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:38 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:

You're lucky. Not missing anything by not having had to use lethal force. It sure as hell ain't like the movies. And like I said earlier even in clear cut cases of self defense a zealous DA can and will file charges or attempt to.

They will nit pick details and spin such a web of BS it will blow your mind. Just hope you draw a judge with common sense come arraignment day.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You're lucky. Not missing anything by not having had to use lethal force. It sure as hell ain't like the movies. And like I said earlier even in clear cut cases of self defense a zealous DA can and will file charges or attempt to.

They will nit pick details and spin such a web of BS it will blow your mind. Just hope you draw a judge with common sense come arraignment day.
Yes, I know having a weapon can be in your favor - or not! Must use discretion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies