Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 11:09 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Where rock do these nasty scumbags crawl out from under?

"KU student body president says ‘death to America.’ Might such rhetoric accomplish that?

"Condemnation was swift and torrential, but consequences are unlikely, for the University of Kansas student body president who retweeted Sept. 3, “happy friday everybody. death to America.”

Niya McAdoo’s bizarre retweet, from a Twitter account called @comradeSYX, brought a perfect storm of outrage not just to her, but to KU. “Donors, Alumni Enraged by University of Kansas Student Government’s ‘Death to America’ Message,” read the headline at national columnist Todd Starnes’ article on the episode.

“It is ironic that she’s endorsing death to America,” says state Sen. Kellie Warren, Republican of Leawood, “when America’s liberties are what give her the freedom of speech to say such outrageous things in the first place.” Warren called for civility at KU, and for students not to “elect student government leaders who further incite the very hatred and division they claim to oppose.......”

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/o...254056933.html
The enemy has been within for a long time now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVanAmstel View Post
Exactly how I expected her to look.
yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 11:27 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Is this a misogynistic comment, or is there sometime else about her appearance that you're generalizing about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
She could lose her job as student body president, as that would fall under employment law.
Most student body officers are elected by the student body. It's not usually a job in the traditional sense. Officers may receive a stipend from the university, but that doesn't make them employees.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:10 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Almost mine, I was kind of expecting koolaid colored hair to go with the obvious obesity....seriously, why are young people so overweight, disgustingly ignorant.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,481 times
Why am I ever surprised when folks don't even read a little bit about a subject before knee-jerk reacting?

She has every bit the right to say that as any other student could say "I hate Black people". And neither would be more or less offensive generally.

The Chancellor (white man) and the head of the Regents (Black woman) disagreed with the message but supported her right to say it.

It would be incumbent on the KU student body to get her to resign, not the University leadership.

KU has a student body that is ~5% Black. Kansas is ~6% Black. The Prez is majoring in Af-Am studies. I suppose we'll find out her career path at the end of the school year.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:17 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
Why am I ever surprised when folks don't even read a little bit about a subject before knee-jerk reacting?

She has every bit the right to say that as any other student could say "I hate Black people". And neither would be more or less offensive generally.

The Chancellor (white man) and the head of the Regents (Black woman) disagreed with the message but supported her right to say it.

It would be incumbent on the KU student body to get her to resign, not the University leadership.

KU has a student body that is ~5% Black. Kansas is ~6% Black. The Prez is majoring in Af-Am studies. I suppose we'll find out her career path at the end of the school year.
Anyone that said "I hate black people" would be expelled and jailed and you and every liberal on this thread would be demanding an end to that person's free speech and freedom and most likely to be hanged.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:21 PM

539 posts, read 241,027 times
I have an idea why dont we buy these two fat digusting pigs airline tickets straight to Iran and tell them to chant F--- Iran and see what happens to them . The kU should remove her from school forever . No more coming back from that one .

Old 09-12-2021, 12:29 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
She could lose her job as student body president, as that would fall under employment law. It depends on how KU, or the KU student association, structured the position. Courts have found that corporations, even government corporations such as universities, can control the speech of their employees when they are speaking in their role as employees.

But expulsion would be a violation of the 1st Amendment. She is permitted to say what she wants as part of her free speech rights, and as KU is a government entity, they cannot penalize people for exercising 1st Amendment rights.

I hope you support her constitutional rights.
Really? What about the First Amendment rights of a white person who says something racially offensive? As Mimi Groves found out, there is very much a double-standard at work:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/vindictive...113026876.html

Old 09-12-2021, 01:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Really? What about the First Amendment rights of a white person who says something racially offensive? As Mimi Groves found out, there is very much a double-standard at work:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/vindictive...113026876.html
I think the university was wrong in that case, although it is a slightly different set of circumstances. The OP cited a case where the student in question is currently attending the university and is in the middle of the course of study. The case you cite is for a student admitted, but not yet attending.

Again, I am not a supporter of public universities punishing students for saying things on their own time.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:25 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Anyone that said "I hate black people" would be expelled and jailed and you and every liberal on this thread would be demanding an end to that person's free speech and freedom and most likely to be hanged.
I'm not a liberal.

What would be different about the freedom of the speech in the 2 incidents?

Old 09-12-2021, 04:50 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:

fat ugly and stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies