Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 08:33 PM

930 posts, read 331,959 times

Advertisements

'LGBTQ' to me is sexist. And when you have to add on the +, that should be the first clue that you've gone off the rails. '+' is for computer languages and cleaning products, not commonly used English words.

'L' (lesbian) is of course restricted to females only. So that's ipso facto sexist. And when you have a 'G' (gay) you don't need the 'L' anyway. Why would you need both 'L' and 'G?' And if you have the 'G,' why do you need the 'Q,' which traditionally has been a verboten pejorative anyway.

Lastly why no 'H' (heterosexual) or 'C' (cisgender). Leaving that out of the string of letters would seem to imply that heterosexuals are somehow special and set apart. That is actually implicitly homophobic, n'est ce pas?

Old 09-15-2021, 09:19 PM

9,359 posts, read 6,928,850 times
They like to make a show of it... Hey look at me and my parades, let me prance about, give me something to talk about, hey look at my I’m super special. That’s really all it is a show pony badge.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:30 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
In this society where people assume others are straight,until told otherwise, LGBT pride is still needed.

Like you ever heard statements like "she would drive any man wild" or "he would drive any woman wild"?

Or if someone ever been asked this question? "have you seen any girls with bikinis around have you?

Which is based on heterosexism

Definition of heterosexism

: discrimination or prejudice against non-heterosexual people based on the belief that heterosexuality is the only normal and natural expression of sexuality

Because pride is still needed in a society that often erases LGBTQI+ people in the world around us.

Plus because of bigots who hate LGBTQI+ people.

And stuff like heterosexism in fact erases LGBT people.

no need of "pride" for a neurological disorder

Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,442,172 times
Quote:
In this society where people assume others are straight,until told otherwise, LGBT pride is still needed.

Like you ever heard statements like "she would drive any man wild" or "he would drive any woman wild"?

Or if someone ever been asked this question? "have you seen any girls with bikinis around have you?

: discrimination or prejudice against non-heterosexual people based on the belief that heterosexuality is the only normal and natural expression of sexuality

Because pride is still needed in a society that often erases LGBTQI+ people in the world around us.

Listen, I think you’re right. Since new letters are added to the abbreviation everyday, it will soon include the entire humankind. We may even run out of letters after the entire alphabet is used….

Old 09-15-2021, 10:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,517,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
They like to make a show of it... Hey look at me and my parades, let me prance about, give me something to talk about, hey look at my I’m super special. That’s really all it is a show pony badge.
Thats only because its fairly popular/hip to be 'LGBTQI+' right now!!!

Watch how many become secretive again if this becomes UN popular.

I dont understand why its such a big deal anymore... i know some gay people..big deal, we all know they are out there, its not even something people need to know right a way! Do you ask teachers or your supervisor what their sexual preference is? OF course not!

Old 09-15-2021, 10:36 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,345,912 times
Quote:

So people shouldn't make assumptions?

Excluding your nonsecial, psychotic assumptions?

Got it.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:59 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,553,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
'LGBTQ' to me is sexist. And when you have to add on the +, that should be the first clue that you've gone off the rails. '+' is for computer languages and cleaning products, not commonly used English words.

'L' (lesbian) is of course restricted to females only. So that's ipso facto sexist. And when you have a 'G' (gay) you don't need the 'L' anyway. Why would you need both 'L' and 'G?' And if you have the 'G,' why do you need the 'Q,' which traditionally has been a verboten pejorative anyway.

Lastly why no 'H' (heterosexual) or 'C' (cisgender). Leaving that out of the string of letters would seem to imply that heterosexuals are somehow special and set apart. That is actually implicitly homophobic, n'est ce pas?
“Qu*er” is nearly fully reclaimed, but it’s not the same thing as gay. It’s become the umbrella term for gender or sexual minorities, eliminating the ‘+’ thing that even people in the community thought was getting ridiculous. A lot of qu*er people who into don’t fit any of the LGBT letters don’t even bother with labels anymore. I wouldn’t say it’s an off-limits word, but people can tell how much respect you have for them by how you use it.

Not quite sure why, but the only women I’ve heard call themselves gay are butch lesbians.

Just like people on this thread agree that no one should feel the need alter everyday language for qu*er people (I personally think OP is a tr*ll), I think it’s fair to say that the people who aren’t necessarily included in everyday language are, in fact, set apart.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:23 AM

8,400 posts, read 4,654,450 times
Idk, as a bi guy, I myself am OK with the current state of things. I’m pretty down low, and have no real need to “come out”, as it were, but in this day and age I think it’s not a big deal. I’m in the buckle of the Bible Belt, and I have gay and lesbian co workers who are just...out in a way I couldn’t have imagined when I left California. The culture is changing nationally, and I think kinda like weed, folks are seeing that they all know someone who is there, and realizing that they are and have always been part of society.

I do feel that a continued presence of LGBT activism is needed. It is precarious enough that I feel it could go away if not tended to by folks who want to make sure that those of us who aren’t entirely on the hetero part of the sexuality spectrum aren’t forgotten, dismissed, or overlooked. But I don’t feel the need to add more letters. LGBT covers the basics, and rolls off the tongue fairly well. Everybody else is implied and welcome and loved.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:48 AM

18,673 posts, read 7,546,354 times
The reason why LGBTQI+ pride is still needed

Let me guess.

They're running out of letters?

Old 09-16-2021, 05:04 PM

930 posts, read 331,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
“Qu*er” is nearly fully reclaimed, but it’s not the same thing as gay. It’s become the umbrella term for gender or sexual minorities, eliminating the ‘+’ thing that even people in the community thought was getting ridiculous. A lot of qu*er people who into don’t fit any of the LGBT letters don’t even bother with labels anymore. I wouldn’t say it’s an off-limits word, but people can tell how much respect you have for them by how you use it.

Not quite sure why, but the only women I’ve heard call themselves gay are butch lesbians.

Just like people on this thread agree that no one should feel the need alter everyday language for qu*er people (I personally think OP is a tr*ll), I think it’s fair to say that the people who aren’t necessarily included in everyday language are, in fact, set apart.
Good post, I did not know this about the 'Q' word.

To me it is still pejorative, although in fairness there is a long history of groups embracing pejorative terms used against them. For example 'whig' was an English term for 'outlaw' applied to the pro-democracy, pro-rights group of the 17th-18th century. They embraced this appellation. 'Whig' was later adopted by the American revolutionaries, and then by the anti-Jackson faction in 19th century America.

I still say that it's linguistic murder to use a '+' sign in a word that is supposed to be used in common English. The plus sign is most often used in cleaning products (e.g. 'Glass plus').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.