Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 11:02 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,312,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
the same applies to those who cling to Trumpism. Not just the policies, the whole thing. Heck, nothing's changed in his statements and interviews since.
What is Trumpism? Never heard of it. I’m a Constitutional conservative.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:05 AM

8,215 posts, read 3,413,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If inflation got so bad that I would have to cart my money around in a wheelbarrow like the Germans had to do after WWI, I STILL would not miss Trump. Just think, in the incredibly unlikely re-election of Trump, he most likely would get his Twitter account back. Do you really want to impose this on your fellow Americans? Remember staying up until 3:00 AM in the morning anxiously wondering what "covfefe" was? Remember how bitchy Melania would get the morning after certain tweets?

If you are self sufficient, a little inflation just builds character - something our Country is is definite need of. I can check books out of the library instead of getting them on instant gratification via Amazon. I can adopt my new dog from the local humane society instead of spending $8,000.00 to buy a Pembroke Corgi just like the Queen's from some over-priced breeder who ships his curs to the US all the way from Wales. I can learn to do my own gormet cooking instead of buying from some fancy restaurant which requires masks, social distancing, AND proof of my Covid vaccination.

Yup, anything is better than Trump redux. Hell, I'd even give in and buy that damn $8,000.00 Corgi if that would prevent Trump's return (as we all know, the Donald hates dogs).

Well aren't you lucky. But what about all the retired people getting totally screwed by inflation.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Since the economic uptick during his occupation of the office came from measures taken by Obama, and the present office is investing in infrastructure that will also contribute to economic growth, I am quite happen to see sanity restored to the office. We are currently suffering a social climate stirred up by the former administration's divisive tactics, in addition to his general incompetence. I am thinking it's too bad we didn't have HIM recalled.
when you say the economy under Trump was because of Obama's policies, you so ignore the reality of the economy for 8 years under Obama - the first year, maybe 2 (we had exited recession) of which he doesn't even get blamed for. It is a basic lack of knowledge - whether ignorance or blind acceptance - of the economy.

in 2014, we almost went into a recession.
in 2016, we had a quarter of 0.1% growth
his highest quarter ever, even coming out of a recession, we never had 5% annualized GDP growth.

Crazy thing is - most people agree with "infrastructure", when it's actually ... INFRASTRUCTURE. "Building stuff" helps the suppliers and their employees, and the builders of said stuff and their employees. Allowing more people to work, at higher-wage jobs, and increase the wages of those jobs.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:06 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
What is Trumpism? Never heard of it. I’m a Constitutional conservative.
then it wouldn't apply to you. we got lucky, because Trump got 3 SCOTUS and hundreds of federal judges in.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:11 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Trump would not / did not:

•stop oil drilling on federal lands
• tick off Saudi’s Arabia by going back on our agreements, which led them to raise oil prices
• shut down the Keystone pipeline, which led to higher transport costs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...oe-biden%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...es-11625611235

I have posted these articles before; don’t ignore them and then say Joe isn’t to blame.

Furthermore, Trump would be:

• working with industry leaders to avoid the mess we’re in of supply chain disruption
• not forcing mandates on business, causing an even worse labor shortage
• would not sign the spending bill
• would not keep giving away cash

And Trump would answer questions from the press and not hide.
The difference is that Trump is a problem solver. Trump looked at what was preventing our economy from booming, and creating jobs and opportunities, and he set about to clear the way for the economy and jobs to grow.

Biden is a problem creator, because all the matters to him is pushing his agenda forward. How far he was able to move it matters, the calamitous results to the economy are of no concern.

Biden's main focus is to be seen as destroying anything Trump did. It doesn't matter to Biden if reversing the energy, immigration policies that were working under Trump. Doesn't matter if Trump's withdrawal plans from Afghanistan resulted in ZERO lost lives by US soldiers. And it doesn't matter if undoing these policies will have destructive consequences or not. Being seen as undoing anything Trump did is more important.

Like I said in an earlier post, if Biden really wants green energy projects to soar, then it makes no sense to hamper these efforts by implementing high corporate taxes, stalling the recovery process. And it certainly doesn't make sense to implement anti-fossil fuel policies which result in drastically increasing energy costs, making it even more difficult to manufacture and build this new green energy infrastructure.

The more sensible approach is to use the tools we already have, to build your new future. Then once that future is realized you can retire the old, less efficient and dirty tools that got you there. Biden is figuratively burning the bridges in front and behind him, just because they are tied to fossil fuels. He's doing the same with immigration, the economy and Afghanistan, burning bridges just because Trump built them.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:13 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
then it wouldn't apply to you. we got lucky, because Trump got 3 SCOTUS and hundreds of federal judges in.
We can look at the current and upcoming Texas vigilante issues now as a result of this new Supreme Court. Just a start of more dysfunction and chaos to come, enjoy the never ending nonsense.

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-abortion...151624321.html

Texas abortion foes play a dangerous game in encouraging vigilante law enforcement | NC Policy Watch

Old 09-22-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
when you say the economy under Trump was because of Obama's policies, you so ignore the reality of the economy for 8 years under Obama - the first year, maybe 2 (we had exited recession) of which he doesn't even get blamed for. It is a basic lack of knowledge - whether ignorance or blind acceptance - of the economy.

in 2014, we almost went into a recession.
in 2016, we had a quarter of 0.1% growth
his highest quarter ever, even coming out of a recession, we never had 5% annualized GDP growth.

Crazy thing is - most people agree with "infrastructure", when it's actually ... INFRASTRUCTURE. "Building stuff" helps the suppliers and their employees, and the builders of said stuff and their employees. Allowing more people to work, at higher-wage jobs, and increase the wages of those jobs.
People on the left keep repeating the lie that Obama left Trump a booming economy. When the fact is, Obama left Trump with a 1.7% GDP growth, after eight years in office. Trump was turning the economy around, and then COVID hit the world and crashed everything.

U.S. GDP Growth Rate 1961-2021

Old 09-22-2021, 11:27 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
It's only going to get worse

Old 09-22-2021, 11:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I’ve spoken to many that voted for Biden that now say basically “Bring back the mean tweets and low prices and stability we had”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ederal-reserve
So much for the $15 an hour mark...
It just got destroyed.

$15 today is what $3 was 4 years ago.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So much for the $15 an hour mark...
It just got destroyed.

$15 today is what $3 was 4 years ago.
Well, I do know that 4 years ago it cost over $15 less to fill my gas tank. Today you have to work more then an extra hour to fill your tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.