Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 07:11 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Contrary to what DeSantis stated, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance doesn’t direct caregivers to list all deaths as COVID-19 deaths simply because the disease was detected in the decedent. Instead, it instructs caregivers to list various factors contributing to death in appropriate sections of death certificates. In other words, it does not state that anyone who suffers an unnatural death such as a traffic accident should be listed as a COVID-19-caused death if they also happen to test positive, even if the disease didn’t cause to their death.

It does appear to the case, however, that a motorcyclist who was killed in a traffic accident also tested positive for COVID-19, and was initially listed among Florida’s COVID-19-related deaths. But officials from the Florida Department of Health said that person has since been removed from the count.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fl...t-covid-death/

You gotta cut FL some slack, they are a mess. Really, anyone could make that mistake, and subsequently correct it. It happens.
I get it, mistakes happen.

On the flip side the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation has claimed the state is under-reporting.

Then there is the Rebekah Jones incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 07:32 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I get it, mistakes happen.

On the flip side the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation has claimed the state is under-reporting.

Then there is the Rebekah Jones incident.
I'm sure mistakes can be found in over reporting and under reporting for cases, deaths, hospitalizations, break throughs..... everything. That's how situations like this work.

Everyone seems to think if they can find an error it supports their claim, and that's not the case. Large (in situations that are fast moving without established systems) numbers merely represent trends. Add the fun of over 50 different regions reporting in over 50 different ways.

That's why they do things like data validation (excess deaths, etc).

Not really directing that at you, I'm pretty sure you know all this.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2021, 07:35 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
I'm sure mistakes can be found in over reporting and under reporting for cases, deaths, hospitalizations, break throughs..... everything. That's how situations like this work.

Everyone seems to think if they can find an error it supports their claim, and that's not the case. Large (in situations that are fast moving without established systems) numbers merely represent trends. Add the fun of over 50 different regions reporting in over 50 different ways.

I agree.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Wonderful story. Now back to the question of someone with at least 2 diseases in a hospital one of which being covid: how should they get classified?
If you go in to have a baby and the only reason you know you have Covid is because they tested you and it came back positive then you are not being hospitalized for Covid. One of the students in a school system I work with was hospitalized for psychiatric reasons he tested negative when admitted, then positive a week later while still there. He had a snuffy nose, he should not be considered hospitalized for Covid. Pre-Covid when patients got an infection while hospitalized they were considered hospitalized for their initial diagnosis and it only shifted if the infection became the reason they were still hospitalized. The hospital charted and kept track for isolation purposes, but it wasn’t listed as the reason they were hospitalized.

There needs to be a Covid specific hospitalization severity index. It matters because public policy is being made based on those numbers.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:31 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Default A new study suggests that almost half of those hospitalized with COVID-19 have mild or asymptomatic cases.

Our Most Reliable Pandemic Number Is Losing Meaning

A new study suggests that almost half of those hospitalized with COVID-19 have mild or asymptomatic cases.

"there are many COVID patients in the hospital with fairly mild symptoms, too, who have been admitted for further observation on account of their comorbidities, or because they reported feeling short of breath. Another portion of the patients in this tally are in the hospital for something unrelated to COVID, and discovered that they were infected only because they were tested upon admission."

"doctors in California read through several hundred charts of pediatric patients, one by one, to figure out why, exactly, each COVID-positive child had been admitted to the hospital. Did they need treatment for COVID, or was there some other reason for admission, like cancer treatment or a psychiatric episode, and the COVID diagnosis was merely incidental? According to the researchers, 40 to 45 percent of the hospitalizations that they examined were for patients in the latter group."

Hospitals are overrun? As always, follow the money trail.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:38 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you go in to have a baby and the only reason you know you have Covid is because they tested you and it came back positive then you are not being hospitalized for Covid. One of the students in a school system I work with was hospitalized for psychiatric reasons he tested negative when admitted, then positive a week later while still there. He had a snuffy nose, he should not be considered hospitalized for Covid. Pre-Covid when patients got an infection while hospitalized they were considered hospitalized for their initial diagnosis and it only shifted if the infection became the reason they were still hospitalized. The hospital charted and kept track for isolation purposes, but it wasn’t listed as the reason they were hospitalized.

There needs to be a Covid specific hospitalization severity index. It matters because public policy is being made based on those numbers.
It is done in some reporting.

The MA cases were listed that way. Breakthrough, hospitalized and breakthrough hospitalized for other than covid but positive. Other reports separate out hospitalized and then those in the ICU (this reporting is most common).

It would be really nice if we had a national reporting requirement, but you.... know states rights.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-16-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Not really directing that at you, I'm pretty sure you know all this.
The problem is three different studies, two involving adults and one pediatrics, give about the same percentage of in the hospital for another reason, tested positive for it, and classified as in the hospital for Covid. They need to differentiate between patients in the hospital FOR Covid and those in the hospital WITH Covid.

Additionally, I agree with one of the researchers, there needs to be better guidelines for how to distinguish the severity of the Covid infection in patients who have tested positive and are in the hospital or even in ICU. One of the things they found, that make perfect sense to me, was that the severity of Covid in the patients both hospitalized and in ICU decreased when community spread was low and increased when community spread became higher. I was told by my doctor in the spring that if I got Covid he would hospitalize me automatically, I’m not so sure he would be allowed do that right now by the hospital since they have had to create some makeshift wards and expand their ICU. If folks are in the hospital for Covid in this area right now they are undisputedly very ill from it.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
It is done in some reporting.

The MA cases were listed that way. Breakthrough, hospitalized and breakthrough hospitalized for other than covid but positive. Other reports separate out hospitalized and then those in the ICU (this reporting is most common).

It would be really nice if we had a national reporting requirement, but you.... know states rights.
The CDC can require more specific reporting to them. Unfortunately, in May they decided testing of the vaccinated was no longer needed. Had they not done that it might have helped alert them that breakthrough infections and contagion were a very real thing.

Our state, especially the area health departments, does better than most with breaking down the stats, I do think it helps better shape public policy and, more importantly, community trust.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:04 AM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Going to a hospital does not mean that one is placed in the ICU.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Going to a hospital does not mean that one is placed in the ICU.
It'$ not about that, it'$ about why the need to ho$pitalize. Follow the money trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies