Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 676,301 times

Advertisements

I stopped being scared when the numbers from Italy first came in with a median mortality of 82. That’s the week I went back to the office. I haven’t trusted the media since 2018 and I wasn’t about to start now.

The MSM is 100% entertainment and nothing to do with journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
I stopped being scared when the numbers from Italy first came in with a median mortality of 82. That’s the week I went back to the office. I haven’t trusted the media since 2018 and I wasn’t about to start now.

The MSM is 100% entertainment and nothing to do with journalism.
I stopped trusting the media in 2001. It would gleefully lie us all into an early grave

Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We've been saying this for a long time. Not everyone who gets Covid is going to a) suffer horribly because of it, and b) die from it, like some want everyone to believe.

And we've been saying for a long time that the PCR tests are inaccurate. Asymptomatic means you have no symptoms, which means 'you're not sick!' It's like telling me, 'well even though you have no symptoms whatsoever, you still have the flu.' We all would have scoffed at that not too long ago, but now we believe some inaccurate test to tell us we are sick when we aren't sick?

As for deaths, I want them to be honest. Did they die OF Covid, or WITH Covid? And if 'WITH Covid' what was the PCR test set at?

Did they have Covid before they entered, or AFTER they entered the hospital when they came in for something entirely different than Covid?

Of the deaths, how many were a) elderly b) had other pre-existing conditions c) had diabetes d) were obese?

Of those deaths, how many were unvaccinated, and how many were 'vaccinated'?

Why do they not want to tell us those numbers?

Anyway, I'm going to get my popcorn ready for those who want to call 'The Atlantic' a 'right wing rag'.
My county gives us those numbers. They publish daily covid death stats, saying whether they had underlying health conditions or not.

January Deaths: 508
January Deaths with underlying health conditions: 476

August Deaths: 211
August Deaths with underlying health conditions: 198

In over 93% of the covid deaths, the person had underlying health conditions, both before and after the vaccine was widely available.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT VACCINES.

I have been saying it for months, just because someone is in the hospital and has Covid does not mean they have severe Covid, or even that they are in the hospital FOR Covid.

Our Most Reliable Pandemic Number Is Losing Meaning

Amusing thing about this article, it very briefly had a different title. It was ”Covid hospitalization numbers can be misleading” - it’s still in the link address. Guess that title, although quite accurate, was deemed too off message.

Here’s a link to the short report of the actual study: The COVID-19 Hospitalization Metric in the Pre- and Post-vaccination Eras as a Measure of Pandemic Severity: A Retrospective, Nationwide Cohort Study

I agree with one of the conclusions of the authors, because I have been saying it for over a year - Covid hospitalization reports need to include severity categories.

This is not the only place this has been brought up:

New Research Suggests Number of Kids Hospitalized for COVID Is Overcounted

Now, can we talk about those Covid deaths?
Thanks for sharing. They found the same thing in UK hospital numbers. When they include everyone who tests positive upon admission for any reason, about 40% were positive but without symptoms but were there for a totally different reason, unrelated to covid.

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-14-2021 at 05:50 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 05:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
My county gives us those numbers. They publish daily covid death stats, saying whether they had underlying health conditions or not.

January Deaths: 508
January Deaths with underlying health conditions: 476

August Deaths: 211
August Deaths with underlying health conditions: 198

In over 93% of the covid deaths, the person had underlying health conditions, both before and after the vaccine was widely available.
This does not surprise me at all. The same thing happens with the flu every year.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
If the case is severe enough to need hospitalization, the bottom line is that is another bed that is unavailable to be used by a non covid person. When covid patients over run a hospital it forces the hospital to stop elective surgeries, non covid admissions, and redirect patients away from their ER, putting the health of others in more jeopardy.

The arguing over irrelevant details to try to justify why you dont want to get vaccinated gets tiresome. If you think covid is a nothing burger and dont want to get vaccinated then dont. You dont need to try to convince others of your choice. Do what you think is right for you and accept the consequences. Just like everything in life.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:52 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
If the case is severe enough to need hospitalization, the bottom line is that is another bed that is unavailable to be used by a non covid person. When covid patients over run a hospital it forces the hospital to stop elective surgeries, non covid admissions, and redirect patients away from their ER, putting the health of others in more jeopardy.

The arguing over irrelevant details to try to justify why you dont want to get vaccinated gets tiresome. If you think covid is a nothing burger and dont want to get vaccinated then dont. You dont need to try to convince others of your choice. Do what you think is right for you and accept the consequences. Just like everything in life.
Many of them have no symptoms and aren’t even there for covid but test positive due to routine testing upon admission and are subsequently counted as covid patients.

I think what most people want is transparency and accurate, honest reporting.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Many of them have no symptoms and aren’t even there for covid but test positive due to routine testing upon admission and are subsequently counted as covid patients.

I think what most people want is transparency and accurate, honest reporting.
And the bottom line is yet another covid room needs to be opened removing a non covid bed from availability for others.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Covid hospitalizations can be misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
With more and more reports coming out, it's starting to wear thin, isn't it?
People get numb.

The decision whether or not to admit someone rests with the physicians at a hospital. The expectation is that this person could get worse without help they can not receive at home. Too many people resist going to the hospital (fear? pride? denial?) until it is too late to help them.

Let us remember, the goal is to save lives.

I read recently of a little 4 year old girl who caught covid presumably from her mother. She went to sleep with a slight fever and died overnight, none of the typical symptoms one would see which drive people to seek medical advice.

So every case is different, and the physician makes the recommendation, again, with the goal of preserving the patient's health and well being. Every patient who can leave the hospital alive without permanent organ damage is a success story.

Every patient that leaves the hospital through the morgue is a failure.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:58 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
And the bottom line is yet another covid room needs to be opened removing a non covid bed from availability for others.
Sounds like hospitals (and greater medical community) need to up their game. Its going on two years now and as the number of vaxx'ed increases so does the demand for hospital beds. So what we've been doing isnt working. No more excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies