Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 07:49 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And you are confident that talking to people you know, especially those who have moved out of California, is a representative sample of those 40 million who remain ?
And many of us are thankful that 40 million remain in CA and not move to our states.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:07 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I'll vote for a guy who brings results. I lived in Cali for 10 years and ever since I left, I literally have not heard anything good. And to anybody that asks, I don't watch any biased mainstream media outlets. I listen to those who have lived in Cali before or currently live in Cali.
Oh, come on. You have literally not heard anything good? If anything, California's success is what feeds an exodus of those who have a hard time making it in a successful climate. I love people who move out of states or cities and feel the need to bash where they came from on CD in order to justify their move or to try to make those who they left behind feel bad. Good jobs and appreciating real estate and a sane approach to covid is not something bad.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:14 AM

274 posts, read 318,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeo View Post
The problem is that it’s come down to a democrat/republican thing.

When Trump was in office and the vaccine was being developed, the democrats pushed back hard. Newsom said he wouldn’t allow it in California until his “panel” reviewed it. There are video interviews with Harris and Biden saying they were skeptical of the vaccine. Once Biden took office, all that went away. Now it’s being pushed hard. Then you had GOP politicians citing personal freedom and it turned the whole thing into a political football.

Now you have right wingers screaming in stores that they won’t wear masks because of their right for freedom. You have left wingers saying they don’t want to take masks off because they’ll be mistaken for republicans. Liberals are calling for unvaccinated people to be terminated and denied medical care.

Remember when 9/11 happened and the GOP and democrat leaders appeared together and said we’re putting our differences aside, we’re one country, etc? That’s what should have been done here from the beginning. I would bet if that happened, we wouldn’t be where we are now. Instead the idiot politicians on both sides dug in against each other.

Neither side has followed science for a long time. Some events are “super spreaders” and others are fine. It’s to the point I don’t think it can be fixed. It seems like a divide that can’t be repaired.

And yes, I’m fully vaccinated.
I think you are spot on here, and the most disappointing part to me isn't that the bozo politicians wouldn't/couldn't come together, as they are cowards only interested in self preservation for the most part. It's that such a huge percentage of citizens just played right along with the division game and aren't thinking for themselves. Why do people need to see politicians coming together on TV to be civil to each other and work together? It's pathetic, and it bums me out that it seems this is deep down just the way people actually want to be. Definitely a lost cause at this point. For the life of me I can't understand how anyone could so completely subscribe to the beliefs of a political party, defend the incredible hypocrisy they display, and consider that, of all things, to be their "us".

Old 09-17-2021, 12:32 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,286,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeo View Post
The problem is that it’s come down to a democrat/republican thing.

When Trump was in office and the vaccine was being developed, the democrats pushed back hard. Newsom said he wouldn’t allow it in California until his “panel” reviewed it. There are video interviews with Harris and Biden saying they were skeptical of the vaccine. Once Biden took office, all that went away. Now it’s being pushed hard. Then you had GOP politicians citing personal freedom and it turned the whole thing into a political football.

Now you have right wingers screaming in stores that they won’t wear masks because of their right for freedom. You have left wingers saying they don’t want to take masks off because they’ll be mistaken for republicans. Liberals are calling for unvaccinated people to be terminated and denied medical care.

Remember when 9/11 happened and the GOP and democrat leaders appeared together and said we’re putting our differences aside, we’re one country, etc? That’s what should have been done here from the beginning. I would bet if that happened, we wouldn’t be where we are now. Instead the idiot politicians on both sides dug in against each other.

Neither side has followed science for a long time. Some events are “super spreaders” and others are fine. It’s to the point I don’t think it can be fixed. It seems like a divide that can’t be repaired.

And yes, I’m fully vaccinated.
The only part you forgot was when democratic mayors encouraged people to go out to parades, etc. to spite threat warnings when people should have been masking/distancing because it wasn't yet politically correct to discuss covid as a threat in mainstream media.

I still remember being looked at like a lunatic for masking in February 2020 and being asked by a Lyft driver why I had one with me leaving Old Town station.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:13 AM

1,051 posts, read 795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I voted "no" because I don't believe in recalls. Or at least they should be saved for when someone commits a crime, and then the LT governor should finish the term, not open things up for a power grab.
I thought what Greasy Gavin did to our children, against 'the science', against the best interests of our children, but in lockstep with the teacher's union is best described as 'criminal'.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:26 AM

1,051 posts, read 795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Smart state we live in, amirite
Top ten GDP per capita state.
Folks not moving to TX.
Pro science pro biotech pro high tech.
Good climate, outdoor activities.
Higher Covid vaxx rate
We need to continue to solve our problems.
There are many great things about California as you point out. It's absolutely incredible at producing new ideas, new products, universities, and great wealth to the point where all other states should be ashamed. However, it is now plagued by leeches in the form of the government. Pretty much all of the difficult issues are inflicted by the government: homelessness, high taxes, declining business environment, degrading infrastructure, high housing prices, etc.

We need to rid ourselves of the leeches in the form of the one-party Democratic government. Or the leeches will ultimately kill the host.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:04 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
I wonder if Newsom's big win will cause center-to-right leaning independents, & republicans to throw in the towel on California, and move away, at an even faster rate than before.

In 2018, 2019, & the 1st half of 2020, 670,000 more Cali residents moved out, than residents of other states moved in.

This is called net domestic migration. It ignores foreigners moving into Cali from other countries.

670,000 is the approximate population of Vegas, or Nashville. Thats lot of taxpayers leaving in just a 2.5 year time frame.

At that rate, California would lose 1/4th of its current residents in just 10 years.

https://www.ppic.org/blog/california...lation-growth/

During this time frame, I began seeing Cali car tags here in FLA, which is why I started reading the Cali forums...curious as to why all of the sudden Californians were moving as far away as Florida.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I think we'll continue to see states with lower costs of living/taxes gather more residents as more and more boomers retire.

If you don't have that six figure income anymore -- places like California and New York State which provided you with the wealth to have a choice in retirement -- are just not economical to stay.

So folks will love to cheaper places to live.

Florida is a cheap state to live in.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:33 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default Newsom wins, California loses

Quote:
Folks not moving to TX.
Higher Covid vaxx rate
Newsom wins, California loses big time!!!!

So many other factors to consider which out priortize those listed.

CA weather is God's doing not Newsom's

Higher vac rate by whose count? ask all the illegal dropped off by Biden who were infected with covid and apparently a high vac rate does nothing to liberate the businesses, people, children from wearing masks.

CA's home ownership rate drops for three years in a row, lowest in the nation

Greatest number of welfare recipients???? CA! California - 3,789,000

CA top ten worst states for small business

Most illegal aliens supported by taxpayers????? CA 2, 200, 000 vs US pop of illegal aliens 10, 700. 000. And the CA taxpayers love it... apparently

Old 09-18-2021, 11:51 AM

866 posts, read 319,521 times
Quote:
Folks not moving to TX.
Higher Covid vaxx rate
High incomes, most still can't afford to buy a home and more and more homeless.

Leader in income inequality.

Pro science when it fits the agenda.

Self induced drought and wildfires.

Ya got me on climate and scenery though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: