Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 12:59 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedJalapenoPopper View Post
Your out of touch.

1: it’s been an issue since California was red
2: we’re gonna let them die?
3: How many businesses are gonna hire someone who’s been on the streets without a shower and no address?
4: phones are pretty essential if they can somehow manage to get an interview for a job.
5: we shouldn’t have invade Afghanistan 20 years ago. This is history coming to collect.

1. Doesn't matter. You've had plenty of time to fix the issue, or improve on it.

2. Not our problem. Most of them are walking zombies who don't want to be saved. Time to protect the people who actually contribute to society. If those that are homeless want to be saved, then let's help them. As for the rest? Let them rot.

3. Create a better rehabilitation system in your state. Have a 12-step like program that helps the homeless who truly want to change get off of the streets, and get them showered, provide some clean clothes and haircut, and help them look for work. Help them find some sort of low income housing. If they succeed, they will thrive. If they fail, too bad. We helped and did our part. Can't hold everyone's hand forever.

4. There are plenty of options for phones for people who are on a fixed income or are struggling. Don't need a fancy iPhone if you just need a phone to make calls. Prepaid plans still exist.

5. Maybe the Taliban and Al Qaeda shouldn't have fallen for the lies Bin Laden and many other leaders fed them, which prompted them to launch an attack on us. Do you not remember them declaring that attack and declaring war on us first? What were we supposed to do? Sit back and accept that multiple planes were hijacked and used as weapons from a multi-year thought our plan, which results in thousands of lives lost? We helped them get Russia out of their country in the late 70's - early 80's, and they fell for the lies of Jihadists by saying we were just like Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
A literal example of "I'm alright Jack" in real life. Amazing.

Nah, just making it clear that not everyone on this thread is "close to living in their car." And I make my fair share of donations. But carry on and act like you know me.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
So, what's your solution? Are you suggesting people who have no money, no power, not a roof over their head are capable of destroying a state? Seems outlandish to me.

I listed my solutions in another response. Help the ones who truly want help. Create some sort of 12-step program that gets them back on their feet. Get them a shower, some clean clothes, and have a job recruiter help them find work. Make arrangements for some sort of assistance living program. Create a system that has a successful turnout rate and it can work. If said person truly wants to make a change and not be homeless, they will succeed. It may take some time, but it's possible.

For the ones that are a lost cause, get them the hell out, or let them rot. How is outlandish when you have literal tent neighborhoods all over sidewalks in different towns and cities in California? How is it not a problem when a couple can't even enjoy Sunday brunch without seeing someone tweaking on the sidewalk from fentanyl, or taking a crap in the middle of the road?

How is it outlandish when people can't even enjoy a day at the beach because bums in tents are fighting with each other, causing fires, and attacking innocent beach goers? My Lord, no wonder Newsom won the recall. California really is a special kind of stupid.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:32 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
I live in San Francisco and no one really puts any blame in it. What they do is only focus on building housing to get them off the street. That is it. Nothing else. Build housing, set up safe injection sites, throw them some funding in the form of food and shelter and that's it. If they really wanted to do something about the homeless situation, they'd start focusing on prevention, not just management after the fact.

For this reason, the homeless situation is not a problem for Newsom and other local politicians in that particular party. They actually want this situation. Because do you know how much funding/government grants the federal government give out to cities like San Francisco every year? A lot of that funding ends up lining the pockets of the all mighty politicians such as Newsom, Pelosi, and Bread (current San Francisco mayor). Not only that, when it comes time to vote, these homeless "vote" for democrats, even when they need a helping hand fill out their ballot because they are so drugged up they can't do it on their own.

That's why Newsom, Pelosi, and other democrats don't want to really end the homeless issue in places like San Francisco, they want to keep it going. Because keeping it going also keeps the federal funding flowing into their pockets and the votes in their favor.

If they wanted to end homelessness in such places, they'd start focusing on prevention, instead of just management after the fact.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:48 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedJalapenoPopper View Post
Your out of touch.
I’ve seen it with my own eyes. It’s as bad as everyone claims. Downtown LA is a complete dump, and no one wants to live there voluntarily. I challenge you to visit it for yourself, it’s surreal.

All the rich live very far from the city center, far from the homeless.

And the homeless don’t have much of a reason to get a job. Because they’re getting free crap from bleeding heart liberals.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:09 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have lived here in Los Angeles since 1970, and it wasn't until 8 or 9 years ago that we had this terrible onslaught of tents being erected all over the city.
Sure, we always had skid row downtown, but that was it.
The climate wasn't any different back in the seventies, than it is now, (with the one exception being the smog)so climate isn't the reason for the overwhelming homeless situation.
So one has to ask, why are all these homeless people here?
What has changed since 1970 that has attracted the homeless to California?
Find the answer to that, and a solution just might be found.

California is not the only place with a homeless issue.
Homeless are all over the country.
I believe some of it could be attributed to the huge influx of illegals entering this country, but there have to be other reasons as well.

The big problem is, no one in government, be it federal state, or local, is doing anything to find out why there is a homeless situation in this country.
All government is doing is applying a "band-aid" to the situation by building shelters fort these people, without looking for answers as to why there is so much homelessness in the country.

We have all heard at one time or another, the useless claim that governments are forming a "task force" to combat homelessness.
This is a war, like it or not, and governments are not strategizing the reasons for the homelessness.
One cannot enter a war, without knowledge as to why and how the war started.

The old saying, "every action has a reaction" needs to be studied, as it relates to the homeless.
The one question governments need to address is, how did this homeless situation become so prevalent in the past 8 or 9 years?
That is what needs to be addressed, not building shelters for these people.

If the cause can be found(and there is one), a solution may well be found also.
It was two things Opioid crisis, and Supreme court ruling that homeless can stand on corners and beg for money struck down most city ordnances which kept them from doing that.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:15 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I’ve seen it with my own eyes. It’s as bad as everyone claims. Downtown LA is a complete dump, and no one wants to live there voluntarily. I challenge you to visit it for yourself, it’s surreal.

All the rich live very far from the city center, far from the homeless.
Your information may be just a tad outdated. Downtown LA has been revitalized - and most posters on this board couldn't afford the rent, now. Even Grand Central Market - which used to be pretty damn gritty and authentic - is now hip as all out.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:47 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Your information may be just a tad outdated. Downtown LA has been revitalized - and most posters on this board couldn't afford the rent, now. Even Grand Central Market - which used to be pretty damn gritty and authentic - is now hip as all out.
Right, and a half mile north of Grand central market, lies the civic center, with tents everywhere on the sidewalks.
Not much revitalization if you ask me.
Sure, plenty of new, unaffordable high rise buildings downtown, but a half mile from any of them, and it's tents galore.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:26 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Sheriff Villanueva said he could clear out the homeless and rehouse in ninety days but the City and County government are stopping him. He cleaned up the Venice boardwalk as an example. That is why the Dems want him gone.

There is a new special interest group called the Homeless Industrial Complex. They lobby the bureaucrats, promising to solve the problem but need grants of millions of dollars to pay for their 'studies' and 'reports.' That means they have to hire staff, rent office space, fly all over the country to 'fact find' and do 'research'. They have high salaries and great benefits. They kick back some of that money to the bureaucrats who hired them.

Politics as usual.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:57 PM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It was much better under GOP leadership. It is worse than ever now. Pretty simple everything Democrats have done has made it worse. Personally I think it just a matter of corruption. Republicans do it to, but Democrats are corrupt on a much higher level. It's a long the line of the Democrat King Maker and close friend of Hillary, Ed Buck. Ed got away with injecting young black men with drug cocktails and watching them die. It just so happens the good ol Ed was a major Democrat Contributor to the same LA county
Attorney that dropped charges against him, twice
What! No dear - the money bags are mostly Republicans. And as far as corrupt- I will say 50/50. You can find deep dirt and skeletons in both sides. Evil has no boundaries. But far as the economy - history shows the Dems do much better with it. The pandemic has made a mess, but how we bounce back will be the true tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies