Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

The stories probably gain more media attention if they involve attractive women. Studies show that, in general, people are more interested in stories about attractive people. That's just human nature. As discussed, attractive people also get lower prison sentences, more job offers, and other advantages (this is true even where the judge, jury, or person offering the job is a member of the same sex).
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 02:23 PM

78,406 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If he is guilty, he's not only evil, but insanely stupid. How can he not know that his nonchalant attitude and lack of cooperation will make him the prime suspect? If he were smart (still evil, but smart) he would have disposed of the body, then gone somewhere reasonably far away, then called the local police and claimed that she was there when they went to bed but was missing when he woke up. And he would act worried that she was missing and try to be as fake-cooperative as possible.

As for the OP's question, we've seen this sort of thing play out again and again. Would people have gotten as worked up over Natalee Hollaway if she hadn't been attractive? It doesn't seem fair to put more focus on someone because of their looks, but that's the way it is.
The public ultimately determines the media focus with ratings.

I have no idea in this particular case, he was going to be the prime suspect no matter what. going and checking into a hotel etc. and the first thing the police do is backtrack all his locations and then ask him why video didn't have her checking into hotel or at the gas station or when he drove past the bank etc. etc. etc.

There's video and cell phone tracking *everywhere*.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:45 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Yes. Unless they find out later on that the abductor is non-white then the story will be dropped like a hot potato...

Old 09-15-2021, 03:06 PM

2,042 posts, read 855,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If he is guilty, he's not only evil, but insanely stupid. How can he not know that his nonchalant attitude and lack of cooperation will make him the prime suspect? If he were smart (still evil, but smart) he would have disposed of the body, then gone somewhere reasonably far away, then called the local police and claimed that she was there when they went to bed but was missing when he woke up. And he would act worried that she was missing and try to be as fake-cooperative as possible.

As for the OP's question, we've seen this sort of thing play out again and again. Would people have gotten as worked up over Natalee Hollaway if she hadn't been attractive? It doesn't seem fair to put more focus on someone because of their looks, but that's the way it is.
OK look I am not condoning in any way shape or form with this guy might’ve done but from a strategical legal standpoint he’s actually being smart. Reality is only one of three things could’ve really happened to her.

1. They got into a huge fight, she did the old classic “let me out of the car I’m walking“ in the middle of the desert, emotional, angry, and he was as well so he took off and left her there and then she died lost in the desert.

2. Same scenario as above only some evil person found her and did something horrible to her.

3. Or three he killed her and dumped her body out in the desert and then drove home.

My money would be on number three. But unless there’s evidence, and as we all know “loose lips sink ships“ the police have their hands tied. They can’t even say what happened to her or if she’s dead or alive for sure. I’m sure his attorney is advising him to say absolutely nothing.

It’s sickening, But this is the way we have set up our legal system in this country. You’re not obligated to say anything.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
So we're doing the no link troll right here on CD now are we? lol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ate-texts.html

Last edited by Toxic Waltz; 09-15-2021 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-15-2021, 03:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
OK look I am not condoning in any way shape or form with this guy might’ve done but from a strategical legal standpoint he’s actually being smart. Reality is only one of three things could’ve really happened to her.

1. They got into a huge fight, she did the old classic “let me out of the car I’m walking“ in the middle of the desert, emotional, angry, and he was as well so he took off and left her there and then she died lost in the desert.

2. Same scenario as above only some evil person found her and did something horrible to her.

3. Or three he killed her and dumped her body out in the desert and then drove home.

My money would be on number three. But unless there’s evidence, and as we all know “loose lips sink ships“ the police have their hands tied. They can’t even say what happened to her or if she’s dead or alive for sure. I’m sure his attorney is advising him to say absolutely nothing.

It’s sickening, But this is the way we have set up our legal system in this country. You’re not obligated to say anything.
It's a strange story:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-reveals.html

They were vanning cross country. The cops came to their van on August 12th after a third party called them for a domestic. He was scratched up and he said they both had psych meds that they weren't taking. He flew home on August 17 - 23 to "help his dad move stuff out of storage." The last time she was seen was the 24th and cops think she went missing on the 25th. Apparently, he has said nothing and never reported her missing after he came back alone.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 09-15-2021, 03:37 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
We have/had an ongoing investigation close to home where 8 women were "dumped". A lot of things people said was that the cases wasn't solved due to their involvement with drugs and prostitution.

In time, it became national news due to how corrupt the police and sheriff's departments were. ID Channel and Showtime(?) televised case in a series. Which left out a lot of information that was listed in a book that was written.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Davis_8

So yes, I believe most missing people cases are brought to light due to being attractive and if the family has deep pockets.
Women (and men) who are involved with drugs and prostitution usually aren't going to be reported missing by concerned loved ones in a prompt manner if they are reported missing at all.

If Gabby had been a less attractive girl who was in regular contact with her family and went missing under similar circumstances I think her case would still have made the news.

If Gabby looked the same but was involved in drugs and prostitution, rarely talked to her family and no one reported her missing then she would have just quietly disappeared.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:48 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
In nearly all cases, the last one to be with the missing person is the person responsible for them becoming missing.

The kid knows he's up Biden's creek without a paddle. His statement he gave was incredibly bizarre, referring to his girlfriend as Ms. In the end, exactly NO ONE will be shocked if he's found guilty, with the exception of his parents.
If he stops talking, he may get away with it. They don't even know if she's actually dead yet, much less have any evidence of foul play. It's going to take one heck of a circumstantial case to make murder charges stick, but I predict he'll eventually say something stupid and trip himself up. The best thing to do if you're actually guilty is to keep your mouth shut.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:50 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
The latest one is Gabby Petito which is interesting since her fiancé isn’t talking

But would this be news if she wasn’t cute? It just seems like only woman with pretty faces, and bright smiles are newsworthy. Unless only attractive women go missing.....

I think of one of the victims of that Cleveland Creep, Castro - Michelle Knight. There didn't appear to be any
"missing" flyers for her and her abductor was particularly cruel to her.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:51 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I think its racist of the media for not having headline stories about all the missing black hookers. They never even get a mention....awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies