Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 06:57 PM

10,852 posts, read 4,534,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Fair point, nobody is talking about "Where's Rudy Giulliani?".

lol omg you are gonna burn in heck....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 07:56 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
How about Elisa Lam?

She was neither white nor particularly attractive, but her case made headlines everywhere. They made numerous documentaries, podcast, and YouTube videos about her and to this day her case still fascinates many.

If you're young, blonde, white, and most importantly, attractive, sure, there's a higher chance your case will bring significantly more attention. Look no further than the disparity in media coverage between Lauren Spierer, who received heavy national media attention, and Crystal Grubb, who did not get anywhere near the same amount of media attention. Both were from the general same area.

But that's just one factor. The biggest factor is the sensationalist potential of any missing persons or crime case. If there's something very creepy about the case, if there's some sort of 'hook' that can draw and hold audiences captive and fascinated for some time, the media will jump over that regardless of gender/race.

For example, the Elisa Lam case had that creepy elevator surveillance video, plus the gruesome and mysterious fate of her corpse.

In the Petito case, it seemingly started with the police footage of Gabby and Brian being questioned by police. And then it just snowballed from there, the weird behavior of Brian and his family, the potentially morbid curiosity aspect of it, the footage of the van, the discovery of her body, so on.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
The latest one is Gabby Petito which is interesting since her fiancé isn’t talking

But would this be news if she wasn’t cute? It just seems like only woman with pretty faces, and bright smiles are newsworthy. Unless only attractive women go missing.....
Missing girl is not attractive so this thread is deemed irrelevant.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:35 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Natalie Holloway? That was 16 years ago!

Was that her name? Thank you but......has the situation changed or can she still be used as an example of the bias in the news?

Old 09-21-2021, 02:46 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
This whole topic seems to be an odd one to get all worked up over.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Was that her name? Thank you but......has the situation changed or can she still be used as an example of the bias in the news?
I think so for sure.
What about that mini beauty Queen Jonbenet Ramsey? Or Madeleine Mccann?

Old 09-21-2021, 05:16 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
The latest one is Gabby Petito which is interesting since her fiancé isn’t talking

But would this be news if she wasn’t cute? It just seems like only woman with pretty faces, and bright smiles are newsworthy. Unless only attractive women go missing.....
Basically what you're saying in that black women cant be cute you are legit a racist. I don't agree with that at all cause there are women of all skin tones who are fine. This country is still mostly white so most of the missing people cases will be white women. Most missing people are men and 99% get very little coverage. you're a racist mf and clearly haven't heard of asha degree who is a missing girl who isn't white yet she still gets tons of attention in the true crime community.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think so for sure.
What about that mini beauty Queen Jonbenet Ramsey? Or Madeleine Mccann?
Funny you should mention Madeleine for I was thinking of her, too, in my response......just didn't want to bring her up.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Are people who are killed by police only put on CNN if they are a POC?

Old 09-21-2021, 09:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I think Glass of Merlot said, 'That was 16 years ago!' because you said it was recent.

I also thought it was recent until reading her comment. Then I thought, 'Well, given my age - 16 years ago feels recent....lol.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies