Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 06:49 PM

29,946 posts, read 18,513,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
*Note: This thread is not meant to talk down on Black people. This is meant for discussing this topic on an intellectual level, and to prove a point.

With the recent threads about Black violent crime, I decided it was time this get discussed in a different manner.

One particular topic I've been reading about is Black murder rates by state. The latest available data is from 2018, so that is what I'm working with. I noticed something when I look at this by states.

The states with the lowest Black homicide rates (other than those at zero homicide rate for Blacks).
Hawaii, 2.3 per 100,000
New Hampshire, 3.54 per 100,000
Idaho, 4.48 per 100,000
Utah, 5.12 per 100,000
Rhode Island, 7 per 100,000
Maine, 7.51 per 100,000
South Dakota, 7.87 per 100,000
Vermont, 8.79 per 100,000
New York, 8.94 per 100,000
Connecticut, 9.14 per 100,000

The states with the highest Black murder rates.
Missouri, 47.41 per 100,000
Alaska, 43.51 per 100,000
Indiana, 32.81 per 100,000
Nevada, 32.22 per 100,000
Illinois, 32.11 per 100,000
Tennessee, 27.53 per 100,000
Pennsylvania, 27.45 per 100,000
Louisiana, 27.32 per 100,000
Arkansas, 26.95 per 100,000
Michigan, 25.73 per 100,000

States with zero Black homicides per 100,000: Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming.
There is no data for Alabama or Florida for some reason.
Source: https://vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide21.pdf

In the source mentioned, Missouri has topped the list for Black homicides several times in the 2010s. Obviously, St. Louis and Kansas City have alot to do with it. Alaska last made the top 5 in 2015 (at 29.22 per 100,000). It made the top 10 in 2014-2015.

The states that keep making the top 10 are often: Missouri, Louisiana, Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. Nevada too. Oklahoma has cracked the top 10 several times over the last decade (the latest data has Oklahoma at 13th for Black homicide rates, 20.64 per 100,000). Wisconsin has made the top 10 many times as well (2018 had Wisconsin at 11th).

I'm looking at the forces behind that data. I suspect with cities like St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Memphis, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Gary, there are alot of gangs. Within the Black populations of those cities, the underclass portion is larger than average (especially St. Louis and Milwaukee for some reason). I have a feeling what goes on in Anchorage could be a factor with Alaska.

On the flip side, I noticed the states at the bottom. Only New York and Connecticut have Black populations at 10% or higher. What I'm thinking is that there are a variety of factors there. Relatively larger middle class within the Black population. One thing that never gets considered is the foreign-born Black population, with NY and CT has a relatively percentage of (as does Rhode Island). I suspect with Hawaii, a large portion of its Black population works for the U.S. military.

I wanted to put this into a different perspective. Every place should be taken at a case by case basis.
The states with the lowest per capita black homicide rates are traditionally states with low black populations.

One would assume that the blacks in those "low homicide rates" are mostly those who moved to those states in this generation to escape liberal hell holes and were seeking a better life.

One must consider this fact; DESPITE THE FACT THAT BLACKS ACCOUNT FOR MOST OF THE VIOLENT CRIME IN AMERICA, THE VAST MAJORITY OF BLACKS DO NOT COMMIT CRIMES.

One would additionally assume that the blacks in the "low homicide states" are also in more rural, rather than densely urban areas.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:54 PM

29,467 posts, read 16,329,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Fair enough, but there are wide discrepancies among Black homicide rates, discrimination doesn't explain that. I don't think Baltimore is 7x more racist than Boston even though its homicide rate is about 7x higher.
There are 2,086,566 black people in New York. 20 million people in NY State

There are 1,946,932 in the entire state of Maryland. 6 million people in the State

there were about the same number of murders in each state.

This isnt about them simply being black either.

Quote:
If you flip the discussion, look at White people. A White person in West Virginia is as likely to die from a drug OD as a Black person in Baltimore is from homicide. Both live in declining, insular communities that aren't welcoming to outsiders, for different reasons. Should mention that West Virginia is one of the Whitest states in the country.
Less to do with outsiders, more to do with industry forming just far enough a way from them to not be included.

DC suburbs have large black communities that are some of the richest in the nation and West Virginia and Baltimore are both just far enough away that if people need a job they move closer to DC rather than commute.

All the rail lines terminate just north and just south of the city.

Quote:
My earlier point with immigration is that places that attract outsiders are faring a lot better than those that don't. Most counties or cities with declining populations are disproportionately dominated by a single race, as are most cities/counties with high homicide rates or high OD + suicide rates. Some diverse areas have worsened recently due to lax policing, but they're still faring much better than Baltimore, Jackson, West Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, or other places that lack diversity.
Naw. There are very few black areas that were black majority 50 or 60 years ago.

Baltimore was majority white until the 1980
Detroit was majority white until the 1980 census
Cleveland was majority white until the 2000 census

Cant find demographic info on Jackson that far back, but its lost about 25% of its population since its peak in 1980. It could very well have been majority white until that point.

White flight hurt most of these areas, the removal of wealth from those communities meant that the communities couldnt sustain themselves.

Detroit for example, is a city that is 1/4th the population of its peak, city services cost a lot to maintain now imagine having to maintain an entire system spread out over the same distance with 1/4th the income, 1/4th the workers, so on and so forth.

Black people couldnt follow because of things like redlining and zoning.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:57 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,160,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Fair enough, but there are wide discrepancies among Black homicide rates, discrimination doesn't explain that. I don't think Baltimore is 7x more racist than Boston even though its homicide rate is about 7x higher.

If you flip the discussion, look at White people. A White person in West Virginia is as likely to die from a drug OD as a Black person in Baltimore is from homicide. Both live in declining, insular communities that aren't welcoming to outsiders, for different reasons. Should mention that West Virginia is one of the Whitest states in the country.

My earlier point with immigration is that places that attract outsiders are faring a lot better than those that don't. Most counties or cities with declining populations are disproportionately dominated by a single race, as are most cities/counties with high homicide rates or high OD + suicide rates. Some diverse areas have worsened recently due to lax policing, but they're still faring much better than Baltimore, Jackson, West Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, or other places that lack diversity.
I think of it like this. It could be that said places are insular and quite violent that might keep many people away. In addition, with places like Baltimore, there isn't much of a draw. At one time, Washington, DC had the worst murder rate in the nation. There was still a draw for people to go to DC. New York City has always attracted people. My theory is this. Places that have become more diverse, people have wanted to move there. It could be that policing is a bit different in places that are more diverse. It could also be that with people moving there, some people stay, some people leave.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The states with the lowest per capita black homicide rates are traditionally states with low black populations.

One would assume that the blacks in those "low homicide rates" are mostly those who moved to those states in this generation to escape liberal hell holes and were seeking a better life.

One must consider this fact; DESPITE THE FACT THAT BLACKS ACCOUNT FOR MOST OF THE VIOLENT CRIME IN AMERICA, THE VAST MAJORITY OF BLACKS DO NOT COMMIT CRIMES.

One would additionally assume that the blacks in the "low homicide states" are also in more rural, rather than densely urban areas.
1. Maine, New Hampshire and New Hampshire are all pretty left leaning states and they usually have the lowest black homicide rates. in some years its 0.

2. As much as people talk about Baltimore; Maryland has a lower black homicide rate than Arkansas, so does New Jersey, which is the most urbanized state.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:18 PM

29,946 posts, read 18,513,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. Maine, New Hampshire and New Hampshire are all pretty left leaning states and they usually have the lowest black homicide rates. in some years its 0.

2. As much as people talk about Baltimore; Maryland has a lower black homicide rate than Arkansas, so does New Jersey, which is the most urbanized state.
I'm talking about blacks who have recently moved to the listed states or have moved to rural areas to account (in general) for the lower crime rate.

Just a thought- I'm not saying I'm sure I'm right- just offering a thought.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is something I didn't think about, but it could happen. Calling the police because someone doesn't trust a Black business owner.

I'm what you would call "all book and no street". Basically, I learned how to be book smart, but some things even college doesn't always teach you.
OH, i get it.

I was a book smart kid who grew up in a street smart family.

Quote:
I have suspected that some people prefer having Hispanics do their lawn care, landscaping, other blue collar jobs over Black Americans. One of the reasons I view illegal immigration from a different perspective. I've considered that the Black contractors were last preferred, if at all. They were going around, trying to work.
I think most conservatives, and white people in general are good people, and because of that, their minds cant even wrap around people being like this.

Quote:
I've known that Black people don't get treated fairly. How much this extended to Black people running their own businesses, I didn't know. Well, actually, I didn't think about this until I thought about a documentary I watched about Black farmers. When I think about Black business owners getting treated unfairly, I tend to think about lending practices. Not the stuff that happened with your cousin. There is a documentary about a Black farmer who was raising sugar cane in Louisiana. He had problems getting his crop loans in on time (in farming, TIME is more valuable than money. You don't get the seed in time, you're FUBAR). His family ran that farm for two or three generations. He ended up losing the farm due to a variety of problems. Between problems with the sugar mill, problems with the USDA, it was a mess.
I have been reading/watching Queen Sugar. Its fictional, but it covers the issue as well.

I have also been watching a lot of Civil engineer/city planning videos because I have been thinking of going back to college and I want it as a career path.

Black farm hasnt just been mistreated. In some cases, its been taken because of its proximity to cities and towns and become the new subdivisions.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about blacks who have recently moved to the listed states or have moved to rural areas to account (in general) for the lower crime rate.

Just a thought- I'm not saying I'm sure I'm right- just offering a thought.
Meant Vermont in that last post instead of New Hampshire twice. LOL

black migration patterns tend to be to metro areas , Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh , Dallas, and Houston, not rural areas.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Meant Vermont in that last post instead of New Hampshire twice. LOL

black migration patterns tend to be to metro areas , Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh , Dallas, and Houston, not rural areas.
Not to mention, most Blacks living in Vermont and New Hampshire live in the largest cities of those states (Burlington,VT;Manchester,NH;Nashua,NH). Not that many rural Blacks in VT or NH. In addition, a sizable number of African refugees in NH and VT.

North Carolina and Texas have Black homicide rates considerably below the national average (the Black homicide rate is about 18.2 per 100,000). Raleigh is about 30% Black, and has a population around 469,000. It had 28 murders in 2020 (down from 31 in 2019). Places where Black middle class people are moving to, those states tend to have relatively low Black homicide rates.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Most of the states with low Black populations, those Black populations have even fewer Blacks in the rural areas. Most of the Black population living in places like Idaho, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, and New Hampshire, they live in the larger cities of those states. In addition, African refugees make up a decent-size part of the Black population of those states.

Something else. Vermont and New Hampshire are quite liberal. A majority of Blacks are moving to metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. North Carolina has a low Black homicide rate. Not in the bottom 10, but it is certainly much lower than states such as Michigan and Wisconsin.

Something else. Connecticut and New York are on that list. Decent-size Black populations in those states. Low Black homicide rates.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Connecticut and New York are left-leaning states. And have much larger Black populations than Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont.

Maryland and New Jersey have recorded higher Black homicide rates in the past. On the other hand, Wisconsin is 6.3% Black. It has one of the highest Black homicide rates in America, and it's been even worse in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies