Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2022, 10:40 AM

10,454 posts, read 4,036,859 times

Advertisements

Green Mariner, sadly, your politicians are going to be on someone's payroll, either it be the mafia, drug lords, oil companies, developers or cattle barons. It's just the way the world works. Now, in the past, the media were the ones to do investigative journalism and find all of this, but then over time the media started to get gobbled up by the elite, and now they can control the majority of the information you see.

With that aside, I also noticed something else where Black people tend to thrive and be good law abiding citizens making a good difference for themselves and their family, and it seems to be that these are areas located near major military recruiting stations and training areas. It used to be if you were low income and couldn't afford college, then you could work your way up with a GI bill. In my area of Florida, majority of the Black people I know who are successful got their start in the military. One guy I grew up with said it was his way out of poverty and he joined the Navy as soon as he hit 18. 20 years later he has a fantastic career in the Navy along with his fellow Navy wife and they got kids who plan to get into engineering, aviation and other great careers.

As for the oil and gas industry, it's one of those things that have become severely monopolized, and sadly the people working in them are going to make sure their friends and family are taken care of first. It doesn't help matters that the far left democrats are demonizing the oil industry and that the majority of the Black population vote democrat, so there could be some resentment by the oil companies in their desires to hire Black people.

Last edited by warhorse78; 04-10-2022 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-10-2022, 11:08 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people are the country's top homicide victim, far more than anyone else. I don't see you asking this question when it comes to Black people COMMITTING violent crimes. I'm always told "Blacks are 13% of the population but a majority of the violent crime in America, therefore, we're going to talk about it". I'm also told "Blacks vote Democrat at 90%, so we are going to talk about that".
Black people have a higher rate of homicide offenders than homicide victims. Reduce that offender rate and you’ll reduce the victim rate of all races in the U.S.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:49 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
When you mention job opportunities, when I was a kid in the 50s, there were a lot of stores in the predominately black areas in Kansas City. As crime increased, the stores closed and jobs dried up. Many of those stores were black owned. It did not keep the black gangs from terrorizing them. Some of the projects were built on the same ground.
In the 2020 riots, many of the stores that were burned had black owners.
As I mentioned before, I worked for a white store owner in a mostly black area. He was beaten to death by a black addict. That was in the 80s and the building is still empty.
Maybe in the areas with fewer homicides the black young men were raised to respect others.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:36 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Green Mariner, sadly, your politicians are going to be on someone's payroll, either it be the mafia, drug lords, oil companies, developers or cattle barons. It's just the way the world works. Now, in the past, the media were the ones to do investigative journalism and find all of this, but then over time the media started to get gobbled up by the elite, and now they can control the majority of the information you see.
In short, there is no practical way to clean anything up.

Quote:
With that aside, I also noticed something else where Black people tend to thrive and be good law abiding citizens making a good difference for themselves and their family, and it seems to be that these are areas located near major military recruiting stations and training areas. It used to be if you were low income and couldn't afford college, then you could work your way up with a GI bill. In my area of Florida, majority of the Black people I know who are successful got their start in the military. One guy I grew up with said it was his way out of poverty and he joined the Navy as soon as he hit 18. 20 years later he has a fantastic career in the Navy along with his fellow Navy wife and they got kids who plan to get into engineering, aviation and other great careers.
I have thought about the military influence. Hawaii, Washington state, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, those states have a sizable portion of the Black population in the military. Tacoma, WA with Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune are in North Carolina. Virginia's Tidewater region is a major naval center. Texas has several military bases from San Antonio to El Paso to Temple/Killeen. Much of Hawaii's Black population is there due to the military bases.

However, it doesn't seem to explain New York and Connecticut very well. The Black middle classes in both states don't have especially strong ties to the military. While Georgia has a decent-size military influence, most of it isn't around the Atlanta metro area. It might explain Texas, particularly San Antonio, but not the DFW area.

Quote:
As for the oil and gas industry, it's one of those things that have become severely monopolized, and sadly the people working in them are going to make sure their friends and family are taken care of first. It doesn't help matters that the far left democrats are demonizing the oil industry and that the majority of the Black population vote democrat, so there could be some resentment by the oil companies in their desires to hire Black people.
I tried getting jobs in the oil and gas industry, much to no avail. I had just graduated from college and I was literally scratching and scraping for any kind of work. I don't work in oil and gas at all (I work for a company that provides services for government agencies). I have always suspected that it's "who you know" rather than what you know. What you've mentioned about the oil industry might confirm that. I have no connections in the oil industry.

And personally, I really don't care why some working in the oil industry might resent Black people. This is the way I see it. Black people will vote Republican when given a reason to WANT TO do so. And since Blacks are less likely to be employed in the oil/gas industry than other groups, oil/gas industry issues are something alot of Blacks are not going to be concerned about. What will matter more is getting work, not be discriminated against, not having to deal with anyone who harbors that "we don't want to hire Blacks" mentality.

I mention the oil and gas industry for this reason. Texas and Oklahoma border each other. Both states are Republican and have a large oil/gas sector. Texas has a more diverse economy than Oklahoma. Texas has a larger Black population than Oklahoma. The Black homicide rate in Texas is much lower than in Oklahoma. From other metrics. Blacks in Texas are doing better than Blacks in Oklahoma. It makes me wonder what factors are coming into play between both states.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When you mention job opportunities, when I was a kid in the 50s, there were a lot of stores in the predominately black areas in Kansas City. As crime increased, the stores closed and jobs dried up. Many of those stores were black owned. It did not keep the black gangs from terrorizing them. Some of the projects were built on the same ground.
In the 2020 riots, many of the stores that were burned had black owners.
As I mentioned before, I worked for a white store owner in a mostly black area. He was beaten to death by a black addict. That was in the 80s and the building is still empty.
Maybe in the areas with fewer homicides the black young men were raised to respect others.
How did Kansas City become a gang-hub while Charlotte and Raleigh came out much better? What do you think it was about Kansas City that turned it until a place for alot of gangs? What kind of city was Kansas City vs cities in Virginia and North Carolina? You know about WHAT happened in KC. I'm challenging you to consider WHY? And I'm also challenging you to look at other cities across the USA, not just where you live.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it, and your post No. 1 doesn't take black percentage of the population into consideration. For example, Vermont's percentage is 2.4 while NYS is over 15%, yet they are both in the top ten of lower murder rates.

Now, in my experience, NYC also has a significant number of black professionals within that higher percentage, so I wonder if that's part of the equation. (Don't have stats on that, though they must be out there.)
I think you need to read these posts:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63151963-post685.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/61963439-post268.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/61963510-post269.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/61966179-post271.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62391493-post295.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62392132-post303.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62949091-post321.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62955103-post346.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62955340-post352.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62957193-post355.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63004534-post419.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63006337-post427.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63022896-post466.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63023731-post470.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63024991-post477.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63025091-post478.html

You can't judge everything I'm talking about by the very first post I made. I think you should read the entire thread. It's tedious, but it's the only way you might get a better idea of what I'm trying to discuss.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Not all questions have answers. Kansas City was a hotbed for the Black Panthers. Who knows, that might have had an effect.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Not all questions have answers. Kansas City was a hotbed for the Black Panthers. Who knows, that might have had an effect.
Well, I'm going to be asking alot of questions. The point is to get to the bottom of things. The point is to have answers.

By 1970, the Black Panthers had chapters in 68 different cities. The Black Panthers were in Houston, TX. Atlanta also had the Black Panthers in the 1960s. Those cities seem to be doing better (as far as their Black populations are concerned) than Kansas City.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:17 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
We've been over this but you continually deflect and refuse to discuss the actual cause. The high rates of single parenthood caused by the reliance on welfare which encourages the birth parents to live under separate roofs. 85% of the men in prison grew up without a father.

90% of welfare recipients are single mothers.

90% of all homeless and runaway children are individuals from single-parent families

85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders are individuals from single-parent families

80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger are individuals from single-parent families

71% of all high school dropouts are individuals from single-parent families

63% of suicides nationwide are individuals from single-parent families

It's about the lack of guidance that is much more likely to happen in a single parent family.
So if this is all a good correlation, then what is the correlation to the thread title? I guess what I'm wondering is, what's the difference between Black American Murder Rates of folks with a single parent to the "other" Americans' Murder Rates of folks with a single parent by state.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:26 PM

10,454 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I have thought about the military influence. Hawaii, Washington state, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, those states have a sizable portion of the Black population in the military. Tacoma, WA with Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune are in North Carolina. Virginia's Tidewater region is a major naval center. Texas has several military bases from San Antonio to El Paso to Temple/Killeen. Much of Hawaii's Black population is there due to the military bases.

However, it doesn't seem to explain New York and Connecticut very well. The Black middle classes in both states don't have especially strong ties to the military. While Georgia has a decent-size military influence, most of it isn't around the Atlanta metro area. It might explain Texas, particularly San Antonio, but not the DFW area.
Eh, both NY and CT have very strong ties to the military, especially the Navy. CT has a major submarine station there where they are built and repaired as well as new sailors learning how to operate them. And both have heavy military influence in the schools, especially high school. My family came from Buffalo, NY, and my parents and friends were approached by the local Navy. Also, both NY and CT are favorite areas for elite Navy for retirement, and NY also is home of West Point.

Quote:
I tried getting jobs in the oil and gas industry, much to no avail. I had just graduated from college and I was literally scratching and scraping for any kind of work. I don't work in oil and gas at all (I work for a company that provides services for government agencies). I have always suspected that it's "who you know" rather than what you know. What you've mentioned about the oil industry might confirm that. I have no connections in the oil industry.

And personally, I really don't care why some working in the oil industry might resent Black people. This is the way I see it. Black people will vote Republican when given a reason to WANT TO do so. And since Blacks are less likely to be employed in the oil/gas industry than other groups, oil/gas industry issues are something alot of Blacks are not going to be concerned about. What will matter more is getting work, not be discriminated against, not having to deal with anyone who harbors that "we don't want to hire Blacks" mentality.

I mention the oil and gas industry for this reason. Texas and Oklahoma border each other. Both states are Republican and have a large oil/gas sector. Texas has a more diverse economy than Oklahoma. Texas has a larger Black population than Oklahoma. The Black homicide rate in Texas is much lower than in Oklahoma. From other metrics. Blacks in Texas are doing better than Blacks in Oklahoma. It makes me wonder what factors are coming into play between both states.
I'm just spitting out crap, but I also wonder if the famous Texas Rangers might have something to do with Texas being safer than Oklahoma? I also wonder if Texas being part of the slave trade a lot shorter in length of time than other southern states like Oklahoma might also be a reason why there is less prejudice in Texas than other southern states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies