Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 11:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
It would be wonderful if the same effort went into finding housing for homeless vets.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
California projected to take in 5,200 Afghan evacuees, more than any other U.S. state

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...her-u-s-state/

The Biden administration on Wednesday began notifying governors and state refugee coordinators across the country about how many Afghan evacuees from among the first group of nearly 37,000 arrivals are slated to be resettled in their states....
Well given that there are so many leaving California, there might be a need for people in California.

We should be given stats on this refugees. How many of them have skills that are important to our economy, how many of them have family already here, etc.

We have no number on how many of thos refugees were Afghans who have family in the USA here on Green cards or who have qcquired citizenship.

And yes --- this administration could provide better messaging to assure Americans that there is some kind of control.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:40 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Just like I said in the other post about no single family housing zoning, this is what Californians vote for so I'm glad the Afghan refugees found a place where they can go! A little piece of advice... put them to work on Almond farms and don't just give them welfare and free housing, but hey, that's your choice if you want to try to implement the "free everything" experiment... it's unfortunate the Federal Government will ultimately bail out CA with unlimited QE just like they bail out everything else though. Fiscal conservatism died a long time ago in both parties.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:26 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,697,255 times
Welcome my new friends.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:30 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Biden's first week in office he ended about 60 things Trump did. This mess is all on Biden.

Now, back to California. Who's going to host Afghanis.
California. It even says so in the title of the thread. Duh!

Old 09-18-2021, 03:47 PM

405 posts, read 449,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
don't just give them welfare and free housing, but hey, that's your choice if you want to try to implement the "free everything" experiment....
You're really underinformed as to how the refugee settlement program works. Let me just say this: having actually worked with Afghan refugees in the pre-trump era, I can tell you these folks don't expect free things, and get on their feet very quickly once they get here. They are resourceful, hard-working people. The men quickly find work because many of them are good mechanics and good with their hands. Manufacturers and service companies find them to be reliable and dedicated employees. Of the five families I did the most with, NOT ONE is on any kind of public assistance. They weren't on any kind of public assistance within 6-8 months of arrival here! All of them are working, paying taxes, paying rent (two bought homes) their kids are going to schools, the moms work at least part-time and many are also community college students. I would recommend that you first do a little studying on a subject before you opine. Cos right now you sound like a real dufus.

Old 09-18-2021, 04:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Considering that California has a population of over 39 million people, I don't think another 5,200 is going to make much difference!

However, if even 500 Afghanis were to be settled in a town of 20,000, I think that many people in that town might have at least some cause for concern.

Old 09-18-2021, 04:08 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Do the Afghan men get to keep their child brides ?

Old 09-18-2021, 05:25 PM

405 posts, read 449,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Do the Afghan men get to keep their child brides ?
You clearly know nothing about the refugee program. Nothing. Nada. Bupkus. But go ahead. Impress us with your show of ignorance and bigotry. It's very American, you know.

I may have to rethink my presence on this forum. So many idiots, trumpers, ugly americans

Old 09-18-2021, 08:31 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
You clearly know nothing about the refugee program. Nothing. Nada. Bupkus. But go ahead. Impress us with your show of ignorance and bigotry. It's very American, you know.

I may have to rethink my presence on this forum. So many idiots, trumpers, ugly americans
What does Trump have to do with Biden's failures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies